Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
72' 911S

Send a message via Yahoo to leadrsa729
Fuel Pump Replacement

Hi All -

I've got a 72' 911 that i had converted to carbs a while back. The fuel pump has given up the ghost. I had the setup from PMO where you can regulate the pressure by adjusting a valve on the return line. What pump would be the best replacement without having to purchase the original one which is over $800, and would require minimal modification?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I just had my 1970 911T carburetor Bosch 3 port, fuel pump rebuilt by "Fuel Injection Corporation, 2246 n. MacArthur Dr. Tracy, CA 95376" It was $395 plus shipping. They can turn it around in a little over a week, and it looks great! https://fuelinjectioncorp.com
1967 911 Sold but Greatly Missed!!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Many specialized Bosch pumps are far more expensive than mainstream pumps, simply because of the volume they're produced in. Bosch started rationalizing their fuel pumps over 10 years ago via the "universal fuel pump program"; they starting making pumps they never sold NLA and suggesting alternatives.

Which is probably why you're being quoted $800 for one they don't make anymore. Unless you absolutely want/need originality to go with 60 year old tires and the original spare fan belt, I'd just opt for a cheaper pump that's better.

I fitted a Bosch 044 motorsport pump, paid $200 for it 12 years ago. They're cheaper now...

They're comparatively cheap because they're widely used and produced in huge numbers - on everything from GT3s, Cosworths, WRC cars, tuner cars etc). Very high performance & capable of supporting much higher flows/pressures than any pump Porsche fitted back in the day.

There was a rash of obviously-fake Chinese counterfeits at one time; easiest to just buy from a reputable source if you can't be bothered or can't tell the difference (youtube videos telling you how to detect them - really, really obvious).

You'd have to adapt electrical connections (both go up a size bigger).

Use a higher-rated fuse maybe (don't know what your stock fuse is); Bosch quote max current @ 13A, IIRC - but they don't draw that much on a ~400 RWHP CIS 930 requiring 6 bar system pressure... Mine ran perfectly happily on the same 10A fuse for over a decade until I upgraded to the ClassicRetrofit fuse panel.

The fuel pump has an 18mm outlet. Adapters widely available.

They're physically a little longer; my car had plenty of room on the cross-member where the factory pump was.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

Here is what the Bosch 044 pump looks like with adapters for the 911 stock replacement.....

However, not necessarily the way to go for a 72 911, as pump pressures are controlled externally. I have heard that the PMO regulator restricts this big pump too much. Hopefully someone w first hand knowledge will add the info needed.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 05-25-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Can you guys direct me to the specific adapters needed to replace the stock unit in my '87 Carrera with this "044" pump? Sorry to hijack; TIA.

Lyle.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

I have them and happy to help........

Len.Cummings at Verizon.net

Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Thanks Len! Will send an email...
Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

However, not necessarily the way to go for a 72 911, as pump pressures are controlled externally. I have heard that the PMO regulator restricts this big pump too much. Hopefully someone w first hand knowledge will add the info needed.
Grady Clay had some thoughts on running a CIS high-pressure pump on carbs with the PMO bypass regulator in this thread: PMO Carb's using MFI Fuel Pump - Issues?

Old 06-03-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: