Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Help with Blue/White Stripe Mystery Wire Behind Gauges on 1988 911

I promise I went completely through all the wiring diagrams in my Bentley Service Manual before posting this.

I pulled the gauges to install Carmagic's LED set. While I had the gauges out I took a look at all the wiring and connections. I found a blue wire with a white stripe that appears to have pulled out of its connector because it has about an 1/8" of bare wire.

I've been searching for hours. I can't find what this wire was connected to. It has no power. Not with the key in the off, accessory, on or with the headlights turned on.

The wire comes out of the large bundle of wires of wires that runs underneath all the gauge wires.

I have attached pictures. One of the blue wire with the white stripe and the other of where this wire exists the large bundle.

I'm hoping one of you can solve this mystery for me so I can put my gauges back in.

Sincerely,

Dall

Last edited by 1989Carrera; 05-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Pictures did not post.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Carrera View Post
I promise I went completely through all the wiring diagrams in my Bentley Service Manual before posting this.

I pulled the gauges to install Carmagic's LED set. While I had the gauges out I took a look at all the wiring and connections. I found a blue wire with a white stripe that appears to have pulled out of its connector because it has about an 1/8" of bare wire.

I've been searching for hours. I can't find what this wire was connected to. It has no power. Not with the key in the off, accessory, on or with the headlights turned on.

The wire comes out of the large bundle of wires of wires that runs underneath all the gauge wires.

I have attached pictures. One of the blue wire with the white stripe and the other of where this wire exists the large bundle.

I'm hoping one of you can solve this mystery for me so I can put my gauges back in.

Sincerely,

Dall

Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
High beam indicator?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
High beam indicator?
Should be, if the same as earlier SC wiring and all earlier cars..
Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'll go see if it's the high beam indicator.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Carrera View Post

Sincerely,

Dall
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Should be, if the same as earlier SC wiring and all earlier cars..

My high beam indicator wire is white with a blue stripe.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

does your CASIS upshift indicator light (orange arrow in tach) work? Can't remember what color my wire was, but one can disable it by snipping/removing a wire that feeds into the tach wiring harness.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Turn signals working correctly? (At the gauge)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
does your CASIS upshift indicator light (orange arrow in tach) work? Can't remember what color my wire was, but one can disable it by snipping/removing a wire that feeds into the tach wiring harness.

I honestly don't remember is that works or not. I'll go check.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Turn signals working correctly? (At the gauge)

Yes, the turn signal indicators work. Hazard indicators work. Hi beam indicator works. All the gauge lights are working. All the gauges are working.

I'm going to check the shift indicator light.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
I think the shift indicator is a black wire.

Only blue/white I can find on my diagrams goes to the fog light switch.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0

Last edited by Arne2; 05-28-2019 at 05:21 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
This is why I don’t build wiring harnesses newer than ‘83. Porsche changed way too many standard wire color combinations and their destinations compared to everything they built before. Along with most of the plastic connectors that are NLA. Never mind the downsizing of the wire gauge to thinner cheaper wires. The factory B&W prints suck too....

Maybe in a few years when I retire from my day job and have time to R&D them, but until then I will continue to avoid them.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Seeing this now. Think I read somewhere else this is the Euro tow- hitch pigtail? Not joking. John
Old 06-08-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mystery Blue Wire with White Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Seeing this now. Think I read somewhere else this is the Euro tow- hitch pigtail? Not joking. John
John,

Yes, that is what I was told also.

Dall
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

Rear fog light
----------------------------
Old 06-08-2019, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Whew,
Did the heavy lifting for ya,
The entire thread explains that mystery wire, or go to post 10 or so.
LED conversion
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
Whew,
LED conversion
Yes, the mystery was solved when I read your post on May 28th. I genuinely appreciated your post.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
Whew,
LED conversion
Big thanks CCB. I had the gauges out of my SC this weekend to allow access for a wiring repair, so took them all out to install a kit of Norbert's LED'S I'd already procured. Labeled everything carefully, but after reconnecting, saw this Blue/White SOB and began to doubt my labeling. BUT....I recalled your thread and thus didn't waste a lot of time or energy. Much appreciated, John/CT.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Glad it helped!

"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: