Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Starter wire burnt - help?

Hi, the yellow with green strip wire that comes off my starter is burnt up and I am trying to trace it. Does anyone know where it goes when it comes off the starter? This is for my 83 911 SC cab.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yellow wire.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue83Cab View Post
Hi, the yellow with green strip wire that comes off my starter is burnt up and I am trying to trace it. Does anyone know where it goes when it comes off the starter? This is for my 83 911 SC cab.

Thanks for the help.

Blue,

The yellow wire from the starter @ terminal 50 goes through the engine wire harness up to the 14-pin connector @ pin #1. From pin #1 it terminates at the ignition switch @ terminal 50. Check the wiring diagram using circuit #87 and #113. HTH.

Tony
Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
For your ‘83 SC, Two sizes of yellow wires coming from starter solenoid.

1. Fat yellow from terminal 50 is a direct run to the 14 pin connector terminal 1.

2. Skinny yellow with stripe runs from terminal 16 directly to the cold start injector connector. (CSV)
Then a skinny yellow wire, that is crimped to it in the connector, runs from it to the thermo time switch on the left chain case, along with a red/black wire that is also in the CSV connector.

Last edited by timmy2; 05-28-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I also recently found that wire was burnt on my car, and my likely culprit over the years for the car being a little harder to start than most. Wire was broken back under the black tape so I never noticed, just reading around pelican one night and I discovered there is supposed to be another wire on the starter, simplest things seem to always get ya, now just gotta finish it up.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
40 year old harnesses keep me busy...
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi and thank you for for the information / comments. I think I am going to drop it off at the shop and not tackle this one myself. Any ideas of about how many hours I can expect to pay for to fix this? Should I replace the engine harness?
Old 06-02-2019, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
1st you should find out why the wire is burned.Then before you take it to the shop you should really talk to Timmy2 - he makes el. harnesses ..He can make you perfect one..as mentioned post number 3 above.... look at his signature...
Ivan
Old 06-02-2019, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks you and I will reach out to Timmy. I think I am out of my league with this one even though I hate to admit it. I did start to look around and there is a green plug in the back of the engine that is not plugged in. Iíll post a picture and I need to buy a good wiring diagram.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Just email or PM me when you have time.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: