Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How difficult is it to cut a Porsche key?

Went to a local P-Car dealer to get a new key for my '83 SC. I currently have a valet key (door & ignition only) and wanted a driver's key (door, ignition, trunk and glove box). The place said they could either cut me one or order one if I showed I was owner with the VIN.

They first tried to cut me a key matching the valet key I provided. Couldn't get the key to work at all and ended up ordering me a new one. Note: Pelican price on blank keys is 1/2 the dealer's price for a blank...

Made me wonder, are these keys unique or difficult to cut at most places that do keys?

Gordo
Old 03-21-2003, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

sometimes if you try to run some scotch brite or 400 grit sandpaper on the key after it is cut it helps take some of the jaggedness off and allows the key to go in smoother and work.

Good luck,
NorM
Old 03-21-2003, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
FWIW........I was at a dealer a few months ago picking up parts when the parts guys were discussing how they couldn't make a key for a 996 that worked properly. They tried it twice and neither one worked. The one guy said that they've had some problems with the "new" blanks and had pretty much resolved the only safe way to provide a duplicate key was to order it from Porsche.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What I'd like to know is where I can get a key cut from the key code profile a locksmith gave me when he disassembled an old ignition switch to rekey the new one. He made two keys from the code he derived from the old switch and they work great but they are from Ilco blanks, not the genuine article. Gawd, I guess I AM a Porsche snob!

My local dealer says they can't cut a key to a specified code. An "analog" copy of the original is not nearly as precise as a key code-cut key is, from what I've seen.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have had copies made by the regular key cutting machines without any problems,they normally don't have key blanks for Porsches but I have them use VW blanks and they have worked fine!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The key for an '83 SC can be cut at any hardware store, if you can find the right blank, which isn't easy. Those keys are Stone Age keys that have absolutely nothing to do with the newer generation of laser-cut (or however they do it) keys that have wormlike tracks on one or both sides of the blanks. Those keys are typically $40 apiece for the purely mechanical (no lock/unlock function) ones, while an SC key should cost you about $1.50.

Stephan
Old 03-22-2003, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had the dealership make me up two keys several months ago. The keys are were a bit stiff at first, but they work.

The keys also have that funky flashlight on them.

Anthony
Old 03-22-2003, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

Periodically the subject of keys for your Porsche come up on this board. Take a look at the tech subjects that our host has on this site. At least one of them will give you some information about the keys for SC's and earlier cars. This will help you immensely when you go to your Locksmith Expert.

If I have to go see him again, I will take a reprint of the tech article with me.

Good luck,
David Duffield
Old 03-22-2003, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I'd have to disagree, your local hardware store or any plain joe key duplicator cannot accurately replicate the Porsche key. The problem stems from the fact that it is a double cut key, and hard for the typical key cutting machine to a: properly center itself in the master side holder, as it does not have a flat side back to rest against as a typical key, and b: the new blank does not have a way of properly centering itself in the copy side once you flip over the key after cutting one side, for the same reasons as a: . The teeth spacing between both sides will vary significantly from the original master. Myself, as a couple of my other Porsche friends who I warned about ths, learned this the hard way, and ended up costing us some expensive Porsche key blanks. These keys need to be cut at a true professional master locksmith's shop in order to get it done right and correctly the first time. Ask your Porsche dealer who they send their keys to get duplicated at. The guy who I use actually has a special machine to do this duplication, and charges extra because Porsche keys are steel which require a special diamond bit, as opposed to the typical key which is made of brass and can be ground with a cheaper bit. That is also the difference between an original Porsche key blanks, and the aftermarket Ilco ones, so I you can't really be faulted for being a Porsche snob here. You can also order an original Porsche key blank for your car based on your VIN, but you'll have to wait a few weeks, and be out around $40, and it only fits into the $25 lighted key holder head.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
nice doggie

I had a hardware store refuse to cut a key for me because I had a steel blank. He said one of two things would happen. Either he would ruin his equipment trying to cut it. Or if he did cut it, it probably wouldn't work anyway and he wouldn't be able to try again.

Curiously, I went to the Porsche dealer and they sold me a key for my VIN without ever making sure I owned the car! I asked if all you had to do to get a key was to give them a VIN and they said yes. Hmmmm.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 03-22-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Wal-Mart has automated machines now that cut perfect double-sided keys for Ford, Dodge, Nissan, etc. keys ... for $1.96!!!

They may not have the proper blank in stock, but the 'current' double-sided keys aren't any different, now, technologically, than the Porsche keys used since 1970!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 03-22-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I just went to a locksmith in my area, BOOM, new key.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Yeah, a good lock smith will have the blanks. And at about 1/3 the cost of the dealer.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

A local locksmith had my Porsche key blanks and duplicated the keys with a guarantee for $4.95 each. Now the anti-theft keys with the coded transponder like Ford is using are the real pain; blanks are different every year and if you don't have two good keys the computer can't learn to recognize a new key's transponder code. Keys are $25 at the dealer and $50 at independent locksmiths.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Pelican has the blanks if your neighborhood guys doesn't, and I got them cut at a regular locksmith. I'm not sure why a double sided key would be tricky, the guy just did one side and then flipped the keys over.

I did get one guy that didn't want to cut the steel blank, but the next guy (that cut them no problem) said the first was full of ****.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Dealer Cutting Key

Can the dealer cut a key for a 1979 using the VIN? I just picked up a car and it has one key that is pretty worn out and slightly bent. Would like to pick up some more, but would rather it be cut by the code than duplicating the worn out one.
96' E36 M3 sold
81' XS-650 Bobber sold
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I found a local independent auto key guy. He looked at my old key - wrote down the key cuts then programmed his computerized key cutting machine and voila - new perfect key. He said duplicating an old key just copies any worn spots. His computer cuts exactly the correct cuts.

1980 911 SC
1960 MGA 1600
Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Fellows,

It is extremely easy to cut original blanks for 70s and 80s Porsches, MBs and BMWs. I have purchased several original blanks here at Pelican Parts for these three brand and taken them to regular hardward stores for cutting. They "new" keys have always worked perfectly.

Slfan
Old 04-18-2015, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: