Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

69 911E White Smoke from Engine?

See the video at the end of the post.

I purchased a 1969 911E last fall. It was one of the most original I've seen. The previous long time owner was one of the most meticulous people I have ever met, and thus took amazing care of the car. Truly a great person to purchase a vintage Porsche from.

The first 6 months I owned the car I drove it multiple times per week, took it on a 1000 mile rally and overall probably put 2500 miles on the car with absolutely no problems at all.

I'm in the southwest and the weather heated up dramatically in May and at the same time the car started stalling when coming to a stop. I remembered that the previous owner had said that sometimes the MFI needs to be adjusted for climate. I decided to take the car in to a well known and supposedly reputable early 911 mechanic and told him the issue.

After taking it in, the mechanic called me about what he had done thus far and I just didn't get a good feeling from him. Not a feeling that he was trying to screw me, more along the lines of he didn't really know what he was doing.

These are the things he did: Assess and check mixture, adjust partial load, adjust idle, replace spark plugs, loosen #3 int valve adjust and sync throttle bodies.

At the same time I had him change the oil.

After I took it in, there was quite a bit of white smoke coming from the back of the car. The first couple drives I assumed that maybe they dropped some oil on the engine and it the hot oil on the engine caused the smoke. After a few more drives I'm getting concerned.

See the video below:

Old 06-09-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
what does it smell like? Oil burning or something else?
Old 06-09-2019, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It doesn't have a strong odor. I'll take it out again a little later and see if I can put my finger on an particular odor.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mice?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
French member

Garage
White is water, should be gone next time.
Hear my rebuilt motor! Dyno
Old 06-09-2019, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM_911 View Post
It doesn't have a strong odor. I'll take it out again a little later and see if I can put my finger on an particular odor.

Remove the heater plates and have a look see inside the shroud. I wouldn't run it, if I were you.

Let's see the rest of the car.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Oh hell I'm sure I could smell it by just watching the video.

Hopefully it's just some cleaning product burning off. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

69 911E White Smoke from Engine?

Maybe a small oil leak from the MFI pump. Could be dripping onto the exhaust??? Oil breather hose lose.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: