Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
1972 911T distributor problems

i noticed that the newly rebuilt engine was a bit sluggish. I rev'd it to 4000 and using an adjustable timing light saw the advance was only about 18,,, that is not what it should be so removed the distributor and found that it was very tight to turn as though it was galded.

I ordered a rebuild kit for pk and took the distributor apart by first hand filing on end of the pin and pushing it out using a large pipe clamp and punch. I put a socket on one side and it came out fairly easily.
I also pressed out the 2 shims in this manner and noted that there is a large felt pad between the 2 shims.

My concern is the order of shims and gaskets as I think that the distributor was apart in the past.
I have from bottom to top:
gear
hard washer
fiber washer
body of distrbutor
fiber washer
then shaft
it seems odd that there is not any washer between the body and fiber washer or between the fiber washere and advance mechanism as this would make sense to me.

Question: Does anyone have picture of how the washers are installed on the distributor shaft?

thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
PK has sent out the diagrams in the past. Maybe they will do it again.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
i sent them a note

thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
just talked to them they do not send them any more for liability aspects and they offer a rebuilding service
thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

I think there should be a shim under the advance post. Here is the only diagram I could find. Should be almost the same internally for the 72 vs 60 in the diagram.

classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-10-2019, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the image you are looking for

distributor lube...

Keep us posted
Old 06-10-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
thank you

have the distributor cleaned and ready to assemble.
Used a large pipe clamp to press in the bushings.
but after looking at many pictures and posts on this forum and others, I think that the most critical measurement is from the top of the shaft to the distributor housing. .See attached.
I think that this distance sets up where the distributor gear will engage the drive gear
Once that is set then you can get the end play in spec by using various shims at the bottom of the distributor.
I have a couple used distributors that I will measure and post results and perhaps if others post we may be able have an idea of what this measurement should be.
However is someone knows what this should be please post it.
thanks
Old 06-11-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
measurements

I searched the net and think i found that the bottom of the distributor gear to the bottom of the distributor distance should be 23mm. Since optimal end play is .0254 mm i would guess that =/- .0127mm would be the tolerance. Since the drive gear is less than 23mm you add shims and fiber washers etc to get to 23mm distance and then add shims etc at the top to keep it at that distance.
all in all pretty complicated and probably best left to the experts.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: