LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
clock

1987 carrera, clock stopped working while driving. I checked, fuses, none burnt
any suggestion?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They just die. If you had a working clock, you could swap them to see if it is the clock or the wiring. I'm betting it is the clock.
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The clock on my '83 Targa was not working when I acquired it. I fixed mine with 2 new capacitors. It's easy. Pull the clock, get the correct capacitors, take apart, R&R them and then put back together. Mine keeps perfect time now....
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
i was working on one 911 and the clock , i was told did not work.So i have checked and guess what............... the battery was dead;-)

I had to keep it and got new clock for the guy;-)

Ivan

Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Fahren mit dem Wind.

Garage
I posted a detailed repair of the 2 capacitors in the SC clocks here. If the 87 clock is similar, that might do it. My fix has been working perfectly for a few years now.

911SC Clock Repair with annotated photos

Caregiver to:
1983 911 SC Cabriolet - Fahern mit dem Wind.
(Moss Green Metallic over Champagne and Brown Leather)
Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.avrahami@ View Post
1987 carrera, clock stopped working while driving. I checked, fuses, none burnt
any suggestion?
Do your interior "dome" lights, glove box light and trunk light work? If not it might be the fuse bad connection, or the little white connector coming off of fuse 4.

The connector is in the bottom right of the photo, and it has the black wire. On mine the connector was FUBAR, and I had to replace that connector.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Capacitors.

^^^^^
I replaced these on our clock.

All well now.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Did it stop working entirely...or did it give the the wrong time by a few hours?
If it's the second case...see mhackney's thread. It worked great for mine.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
clock

it stopped working completely...fuse is fine, power is on, led light is on as well...
Old 06-15-2019, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
clock

1987 carrera....question: when replacing the 2 capacitors, do I have to break and solder the 2 new ones? if yes, please show where this is done on the clock...a picture, if available will definitely help. THANKS!
Old 06-16-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.avrahami@ View Post
it stopped working completely...fuse is fine, power is on, led light is on as well...
The capacitors are there for power storage...when the car is sitting with the battery/key off.
If the clock won't work at all...it's not the capacitors.
Mine would keep good time until it sat in the garage for a few days. Then it would work fine when driving again. Replaced the caps and all was good again.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
clock

so, if it is not the capacitors and there is power, what is it then?
Old 06-16-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
The capacitors are there for power storage...when the car is sitting with the battery/key off.
If the clock won't work at all...it's not the capacitors.
Mine would keep good time until it sat in the garage for a few days. Then it would work fine when driving again. Replaced the caps and all was good again.
Not exactly correct. The power to the clock is always hot regardless of switch position. Capacitors fail in 3 ways, short, open, and loss of capacity. You will have different symptoms for different type of failure. If you do not have sophisticated test equipment, I would think capacitor replacement would be a good starting point.

Another option, send it out for repair. I see a major online auction has a listing for repair $130, or any VDO repair vendor.

Rob
Old 06-16-2019, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Just fixed mine with 100uf 24v polarized caps from Amazon for $5.99 got 5 of them. If anyone needs a couple PM me
Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidude View Post
Just fixed mine with 100uf 24v polarized caps from Amazon for $5.99 got 5 of them. If anyone needs a couple PM me
Id take 2 please. PM sent. Thanks
1978 SC coupe #1834
Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: