Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gas tank surface rust

I have surface rust on the exterior of my gas tank. Question, can I just scrape off the coating, wire brush, and coat with Extend or POR and keep going?

I really donít want to drop the tank right now since it is prime driving season.

Last edited by DavidMn; 06-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Add picture
Old 06-15-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You can drain and drop the tank, clean it, paint it, all in an afternoon.
Need advice for cleaning, prepping, and painting the gas tank and frunk bay?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just researched the other thread. Quite helpful and seems pretty basic. Some questions:
1. It sounds like the POR15 kit (degreaser, prep, costing - my tank is gloss black) makes sense for the fuel tank. Is this an ok choice?
2. While I have the fuel tank out, I should probably clean up the bottom of the trunk. It sounds like a few people use 3M rocker panel coating... my surface is guards red - do they sell a simple spray paint to coat on top of that? just curious on the easiest option to do this.
3. I am planning on replacing the fuel tank seal and also the strainer. Other things I should replace at the same time?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's the easiest time to replace the fuel pump. If you are confident in the pump, I would at least replace the rubber hose and clamps on the suction side.

What's that weird finish to the left of the rust? That looks suspicious. Leak repair?

Mark
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I don't know. Have had the car for almost 2 years. This just started flaking. I only noticed it today when I put it on my lift. My fear is that the inside doesn't look good. If this is actually leak repair, should I replace the tank?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would see how it looks by looking through the fuel sender hole. That's the best way to siphon out the fuel anyway.

I would be tempted to leave it alone and take care of it next winter.

Mark
Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That weird finish looks suspiciously like welding to repair a cut or other leak. You might be able to tell if the tank has ever been removed (can't imagine welding on it without doing that)if you remove it. I'd use a borescope (you can get something you can USB plug into a laptop or tablet for under $10)through the fuel gauge to check up in that part of the tank from the inside. But absent a leak, maybe no need to worry about that.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with Walt. What ever is in the lower left corner is not factory and looks funky

David
Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Take off the fuel sender and look inside.
After 30 years, it should still look spotless.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Will take a look at it next weekend. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i have a related question but i am afraid to ask since ive was lambasted by a couple of self appointed forum mall cops.

yea they know who they are. my tank questions weren't kosher but they found it ok pollute the thread by patting themselves on the back with each other with succeeding posts.

Last edited by panzerfaust; 06-17-2019 at 09:49 PM..
Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If it’s related to what color code to paint the tank, the OP will probably be asking that next himself.

Check out this thread: Gas tank coating

Mark
Old 06-17-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thank you mark
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Actually, wasnít think about color, thought my 85 was black. Will definitely need to do more research.

Last edited by DavidMn; 06-17-2019 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Add picture
Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sugarwood or others. Do I need to replace the gasket if I take off the fuel sender to do a quick look inside? Was about to do it and then noticed comment in Bentley.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I would. Mine was pretty hard. I wouldn't take chances with a possible fuel leak in the frunk.

I would still look inside. You can always put the sender back in and replace the gasket later.

If the tank is empty, I would also remove the strainer (the large bung in your first photo). If that looks OK, you'll want to order a new gasket for this too. If it doesn't look OK, you'll order the strainer as well.

Mark
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Sugarwood or others. Do I need to replace the gasket if I take off the fuel sender to do a quick look inside? Was about to do it and then noticed comment in Bentley.
You can reuse the gasket. It is just a dry rubber seal and is not not destroyed if you remove it (unlike a valve cover seal, for example)
Like Mark said, remove the sender, and you can always replace the gasket later, if you want.
My 30 year old gasket was fine.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

On the gasket, is there a preference for cork vs rubber? Mine had a cork but I bought the rubber one
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
74 tank story

I pumped my tank dry, pulled it and started going after the rust with a wire wheel. I left the solid, well attached schutz. My concerns were rusty, scraped bottom of the tank and crusty rust on the front mounting flange. The interior of the tank looked clean, as did the fuel.
I encountered a few rust perforations, under good looking schutz near the crusty flange. It was not leaking yet.
I opted to go with a new tank - a galvanized one from our host. It fits 84 and later cars. Since I am replacing my fuel lines with Len Cummings fine fuel lines, it was no problem updating to the "later" line configuration and fittings.
Apparently, the early tank from Dansk doesn't come with a fuel strainer and is not galvanized. The strainer that came with the later galvanized tank was a "rough" piece with much coarser brass mesh screening - so I am reusing the original screen that looked fine.
I also coated the tank with brush on Herculiner truck bed protector, but the finish looks a bit granular so I will likely shoot a chip/rock guard coating on it.

Sorry for the high jack, but I thought some of this might be helpful.
Chris

Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: