Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfoto View Post
Ok thank you all...O2 sensor is not working as Lambda was just rebuilt , re-installed and three good Porsche mechanics checked and told me O2 is not working. We looked for mouse nests etc today by the back shrouding and found nothing.....and yes I am a newbie and therefore not doing this all myself....a very kind and knowledgeable Porsche Person locally has helped me and so far we ruled out running too lean (he checked that ) so a bit stumped. Granted his expertise is with earlier Porsche cars but be is very well informed on the SC cars as well......I am going to run it the next few days and keep close attention......again I thank all , a great community to have the honor of being part of.......
Just throwing things out there that you may want to thing about...

Are you running a catalytic converter yet? If so, check for blockage. Also, check you ignition distributor is advancing properly.

What did they set the CO to?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
No way it's a blocked cat. Even partially blocked would become very evident on the freeway and less so around town. The PO exhibits the opposite.

But timing is a possibility. (ignition and cam)

IG: @doktor_b
Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I would check the engine oil cooler for air flow blockage (mice nests, etc.). This cooler is on the pressure side of the oil system, so if it's not cooling adequately, the engine will run hot even if the front cooler is cooling okay. If nothing else is found, I might check out the thermostat for the engine cooler.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Ok a bit more information.....a friend loaned me a laser thermometer and I have been using it to check the temperature at 3 spot: oil filter in engine, oil lines in rear wheel well and oil line in front wheel well. According to all I can find on the gauge I have a reading at 8:30/9 corresponds supposedly to about 240 250 degrees.....but when I check it is running at 185-190.
I am thinking that maybe the gauge has a problem or the sender unit? or thermostats?

Any suggestions are welcomed......thank you
Old 07-01-2019, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
firstly: you don't need to upgrade anything. I can put my 81 SC in traffic for 5 hours in 30°C weather and it will never overheat.

so something has gone wrong or broken: fan and fanbelt is most important, then thermostat/oil lines + oil level...but maybe it is just your temp gauge that is not showing correctly. I would change fanbelt first and foremost. It is 10 quid.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfoto View Post
Ok a bit more information.....a friend loaned me a laser thermometer and I have been using it to check the temperature at 3 spot: oil filter in engine, oil lines in rear wheel well and oil line in front wheel well. According to all I can find on the gauge I have a reading at 8:30/9 corresponds supposedly to about 240 250 degrees.....but when I check it is running at 185-190.
I am thinking that maybe the gauge has a problem or the sender unit? or thermostats?

Any suggestions are welcomed......thank you
This is more common than you might think. Same thing happened to me but in the opposite direction. Oil temp gauge was reading LOWER than actual. Previous owner had swapped the gauge face on my ‘83 with the one from a ‘76. The output voltage on the temp sender was mismatched to the gauge.

Next step would be to identify the part numbers on the gauge and sender. If you were looking at the engine fan as a clock face, the sender is approximately at 5 o’clock.

Another important data point... on the oil lines to the front cooler. What is the temp difference between the sending and return lines? It would be good to post both values. There should be a difference. I can’t remember the opening temp on the external thermostat but a search will turn it up.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Real temperature

What are the actual temps? Gauge readings mean nothing without real information behind it. Get yourself a laser temp reader, cheap on Amazon and check it against a pot of boiling water.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

update: finally had time to think and work with a friend mechanic on the issue.....he felt we should first check the oil temp sending unit.....so I ordered a Porsche replacement from our hosts...immediately upon removing the unit from the engine I noticed it was marked 150C...the new correct one is marked 200C...it made me think at some point the wrong unit was installed. I have only been running the car over the past 24 hours since we made the change...gauge when car is warmed is just a tiny bit over the lines of the white box.....would seem this was the problem. I will keep an eye for the next week or so but would be great if that was the issue. All lines to the front trombone had been working correctly and prior-even on cool days the engine was prone to having the temperature pointer at 9,10 or 11 if I was in traffic for any time at all......

thanks to all who contributed to helping me with suggestions.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Yours isn't the first time this has happened.

External T-Stat Bad?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Interesting enough, I just took a look at the Porsche Pet catalog when it comes to this sender, item number 28 in the list of the illustration. Can't help but wonder if others in the past have ordered/used the one listed to the far right as "SC" when in the "Remarks" column just to the left of that it lists "SPM". I searched in the foreward of the catalog to determine what "SPM" in the "Remarks" column denoted and it came up as "Sportomatic". I don't recall ever seeing a 911SC with a Sportomatic transmission? Apparently that would be the difference between the 150C sender and the 200C sender.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Thank you SCadaddle...My previous 150C sender also reads 6_24 on two sides and then has another number on it...seems this was the issue as today I took the car to cars&coffee and it barely got about the white line on the box for my temp gauge (so around 190c I believe) which is what it was reading in the past when the gauge was up at 10/11 o'clock.
I know previous owner had the upper engine redone....maybe someone swapped in the wrong send er at that time.....anyway problem seems solved and without too much $$$ but a lot of anxiousness the past few months.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: