Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Keep yours and buy a more modern one as well- somone said a 996 as they are cheap
Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
You will love your car again when the new bumpers arrive!!!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

I have a Mercedes GLC 300 as a daily driver...makes driving my '88 Carrera a lot more fun. Moved to using the 911 as a weekend car a LONG time ago. Best decision I ever made. Started with a 2007 Audi A4 which almost made me get rid of the Porsche. Thank goodness I didn't.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

People don't want to see the new cars. They want to see the old cars.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88911coupe View Post
I have a Mercedes GLC 300 as a daily driver...makes driving my '88 Carrera a lot more fun. Moved to using the 911 as a weekend car a LONG time ago. Best decision I ever made. Started with a 2007 Audi A4 which almost made me get rid of the Porsche. Thank goodness I didn't.
Buck,

I'm curious, what was it about the A4 that made you feel that way?

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

OP What struck me in this thread is how many people comment on the attention in the form of thumbs up and so forth. I guess if you need validation from others, and you feel a classic 911 is the best way of generating that then that's a reason.

Personally going through the same consideration as you, I believe life is short and like some other posters have noted, its about enjoying the free time you have. Not about driving a car that makes people notice it, and by association you. I would also move on because contrary to much of what's posted here there is always another Porsche. And judging by the market it's far from impossible to get back into another air cooled if you really feel that your going unnoticed at stop lights or in parking lots.

Yes the modern cars are different but looking at what you did in terms of a cosmetic and mechanical restoration to a fairly ordinary MY you can find a way to make a modern car stand out if you need to. Enjoy the time you have with your kids while they can fit in the back seats of safer, cleaner and more comfortable car. The guy that wrapped a 997 in what looks like Dove grey on BAT did a really nice job. I think with some judicious wrapping and some sport purpose design cues you can get a modern car to look the part. That way you can have and enjoy a whole world of new experiences to enjoy that you can share with your family.

Life is about moving forward, not validation from others.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
Buck,

Cup holders?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msort81 View Post
Life is about moving forward, not validation from others.
I have a couple of millennial gen friends that put waaaay too much value of their life based on social media exposure. One guy I know has a Lamborghini, not because he enjoys driving the Lamborghini, but because he likes as many people to know his car as possible. Needs those Facebook friends, Instagram/Twitter followers, and "spotted" tags at Cars and Coffee events to get by.

It's an easy trap to fall in, there's a dopamine hit every time you get a "like" that becomes addictive like a drug to some people.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
Buck,

Having spent a lot of time working on B7A4s, they're crap and selling any porsche for one would have been an egregious mistake. Worst generation of A4 by a long stretch.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 06-21-2019, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Robert, The things I liked about the Audi were, in no particular order, great driving, looked great, has great AC and ergonomics, full trunk, automatic tranny, no service issues (lease). Overall just a pleasure to get in and just drive. When the lease was up a friend bought it for his 2nd home in Florida and would regularly tell me what a GREAT car it was. I went to lease another A4 and they had gotten MUCH more expensive. Moved to Acura SUVs for several years then just leased the GLC 300 since my wife talked me into seeing her Mercedes sales rep. I think the bottom line is all the things you think are great/quirky about old air cooled 911s become annoying when they are used as daily drivers in big cities (I'm in Dallas). I've got some good friends who own other Porsches, 930's, Caymans, 993s, etc and they now also own Panameras. They absolutely LOVE the Panamera. I could not afford a Cayenne or that's what I've have gotten. All that said, I like having my '88 around to drive when I WANT to...but I'm tempted to sell it and get a 996 Turbo but that's another discussion.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 06-21-2019, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Buck,

Thanks for your comments. If I were in or near a big city that would change my daily driving preferences as well! I drive my SC quite a bit and when I need greater creature comfort, I switch to my truck. I've had my eye on used A4's and S4's for my daughter's use. Don't know much about them and was surprised by doktor_b's comment. To me they seem to be a 'right size' car -- large enough for comfort; but small enough to be convenient.

Tx again!

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 06-21-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
If you want an a4, the next generation (B8) is much more reliable. Some of the early ones had premature turbo failure, but Audi replaced many of those on a warranty extension. My wife had an 09 that aside from the turbo failure was a fantastic car. She preferred it to the 15 A3 we bought new to replace it. The B6s and B7s were decent when new, but by the time the warranty was running out, they didn't hold up as well as the B5s or B8s. B8s have become very affordable as they're reaching 10 years old now. The B9 has the same engine as our A3 but in a much larger chassis. There's something to be said about how great the MQB engine is, but I prefer it in the smaller car for sure.

I like Audis, but I'd advise to stay away from any of the V6 engines...3.0 supercharged notwithstanding. When she gets a new(er?) car, I plan to keep the A3. I like it that much. (granted, I'll lower it a trifle and update the calibration on the ECU & TCU and maybe install a steering wheel with flappy paddles...)

IG: @doktor_b
Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
I have a couple of millennial gen friends that put waaaay too much value of their life based on social media exposure. One guy I know has a Lamborghini, not because he enjoys driving the Lamborghini, but because he likes as many people to know his car as possible. Needs those Facebook friends, Instagram/Twitter followers, and "spotted" tags at Cars and Coffee events to get by.

It's an easy trap to fall in, there's a dopamine hit every time you get a "like" that becomes addictive like a drug to some people.
When my SC shows up in my FB feed (usually because I finished a major repair job) I usually tag one person - the 2nd owner. I'm the 4th, and I'm eternally grateful to him for the engine rebuild and other good work he did 19 years ago. I am slightly miffed that he sold the Fuchs... but the good far outweighs the bad.

Thanks Leland!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
I have a Cayman S and a 1965/6 912/6. Guess which one gives me more smiles per gallon?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
I am in the middle of selling my '10 C4S 6 speed coupe. It is a flawless, well maintained car that we have owned since 2012. It was my wife's DD but she retired in July and no longer drives it. So about 1 month ago she tells me she wants to sell it and replace it with a Macan. So... that is the path I am taking. When I took it to get it smoked yesterday (passed with flying colors) the tech asked why I was selling a showroom condition 911. I told him the wife does not want it anymore and for me it just does not stir my soul when I drive it. I told him I am an air-cooled fan and when I purchase another 911, it would be a late 80's coupe. He said he totally understood.

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the 997.2 4S, but it is no air-cooled 911.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
What the ?

Garage
I do. I've had my 80SC for over 15 years it's been my 80% daily driver most of the time but a lot has been done to make it track fun too, she needs a paint job but it will have to wait. My wife had a 05 997 and I'll admit that car was a blast to drive...cool in the summer warm in the winter. Now with the amount of money people are offering to buy my SC it is tempting maybe get into a nice 997.2 a 996GT3 would be great but out of my range. I'll probably never do it but it does enter my mind.

A recent drive up to Big Bear, CA.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Sure...

A 997 GT3 to accompany my old SC, but the SC is part of the family and is staying - at least until Iím gone or when fossil fueled cars are banned...
Old 06-21-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Oh the dichotomy... I know I will struggle with this until I can have both in my garage! I have personally put about 700miles on an almost brand new C4S Cab a few years back (loaner for about a week), and to be honest I felt like it had PLENTY of soul in her. I did however "test" this soul in the mountains, down twisty canyons and essentially plenty of WOT "tests". I felt I could've driven that car everyday and had plenty of satisfaction-but I would still miss the 993 dearly and couldn't pull the trigger. So, I wait for a few more years until it financially makes more sense. First world 'problems' here! They are all Porsches and all do posses some 'soul' towards the driving experience I feel.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

The thumbs up part is not about getting attention, itís about discovering the fellow enthusiasts out in the wild. Life is all about human connections and driving an old car reveals your fellow crazy people. Itís the ultimate conversation starter.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
I bought an old one partially because I wanted to work on it. Now, I have a mechanic that I have spent too much money with, but I go to him for things like the fuel line replacements that are going to be installed next month. If I was retired and had plenty of time, there are more things I would do myself, but some things like the fuel lines Iíll probably always send to a mechanic.

My point is that the air cooled cars are simpler so I can tinker, maintain, restore, etc. a lot of it myself. Actually I have never driven a modern Porsche. I would like to so that I can compare, but as much as I hope I won the PCA raffle and I just donít know yet because I am on vacation I think I will likely prefer the feel and workability if my Ď80 Targa.

And yes, I get comments and thumbs up, and I enjoy engaging with people about the car.

Last edited by toddetch; 06-21-2019 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 06-21-2019, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: