Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sometimes I think about selling my old 911 in favor of a newer 911..

Like something I could safely pop the kids into or something the Mrs and I could drive to an event and not arrive smelling like oil..

Anyone else get the same itch?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
As long as you’re good with no more thumbs up, Thought about it but not for long I believe I would be sick to my stomach in the aftermath. Fix the oil leaks, your car looks special
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nope...... I think about it so I can start another long hood outlaw build tho.......
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
No. That's why we have Hondas as our daily drivers.

But if your car doesn't do it for you any longer, then move on.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sleep on it, you'll miss it when its gone guaranteed. That is a sweet looking ride.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Instead, how about getting the oil leaks repaired/cleaned up and your headers or heat exchangers thoroughly cleaned?

To be honest I have thought about a newer one too, but it seems like the consensus of newer owners who had older ones, they rather have their older one instead. The new ones are great but lack the visceral seat of the pants feel.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Driver, not Mechanic

Yeah clean up the leaks as much as possible. What year is this and what are the specs? I might be able to take it off your hands... Just buy it back from me up and to a year later. You may have to pay me back the CA use tax.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I thought about it a few times over the years.

Where would I be if 20 years ago I sold my 911 and bought a Honda? That Honda and a couple more since would be in the junk yards.

On the flip side, my 911, for all those years continued to give me good service with routine maintenance.

And it still runs great and I drive it as often as I can.

BTW, I have owned it since 1978.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If that car were mine, I wouldn't sell it.
'77 911s - Peru red IROC Clone
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Benny,
Go drive someone else's newer 911 and you'll get right on over these thoughts.

Character > Convenience

IG: @doktor_b
Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
I still get thumbs up.... no regrets
Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
That's just crazy talk, get the Naloxone stat!
I just went from an awesome 1993 supercharged 968 that was my 9.5 baby backwards to an 1988 cab to get where your are.
For me it's about the heritage and that left in 1999.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene View Post
Like something I could safely pop the kids into or something the Mrs and I could drive to an event and not arrive smelling like oil..
The interior should not smell like oil. There's a fix for that.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Been here a while

new, newer and new-ish cars all seem to be lacking soul, and the thrill of arrival that comes with a vintage car.

others have said, you can minimize the smelliness, to a tolerable level.

I've tried a variety of daily driver (I'm in Northern NJ, not terribly far from you) but I have NO daily driving requirements. Occasional longer distance work trips, and certainly some errands here or there, but my work requirement is more about air travel. Every daily driver I've had since the dawn of the OBD era (late 90's) have all suffered from lack of connected-ness...slow throttle blips on a downshift, lousy steering feel, fake suspension feedback...stereos and climate controls that couldn't be accessed by feel....just ho-hum too much modern stuff, not enough connected driving.

UNTIL.....

I bought a 2012 Cayman R (987.2)....and it had more in common with my '72 911 HotRod, 2.7, MFI, twin plug....it has the same playful nature, it has great climate control, and a good enough radio....it has that thrill to drive.....but there's no chance a newish 911 gives the same connected experience and toss-ability of the Cayman, and I fear the newer Caymans don't have the visceral driving experience as this car.

That being said.....I agree with others...keep what you have.....and find an acceptable daily driver. My VW Golf R was a pretty strong contender.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
996 - they're cheap
Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi, everyone, and thanks for the feedback! I should clarify a few things that were left out of my original post:

- I have a great VW GTI daily driver
- I don't have any oil leaks (or even heat exchangers for that matter). The smell is mostly just from unburnt fuel as the carbs warm up for a few minutes. It's not bad, but bad enough to annoy someone who doesn't enjoy that smell.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You might think this nutty but have you considered adding a couple race cats before the muffler? That should kill, or at least help get rid of the cold start smell.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene View Post
It's not bad, but bad enough to annoy someone who doesn't enjoy that smell.
^
I have a business partner who needs this advice......
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I had 5 sports cars in addition to my Cayenne daily. The 2 that got sold recently were a 2016 boxster spyder and an 89 carrera. The latter one, well that one stung, i miss it. The Spyder, great car, one of the best modern Porsche’s, but didn’t sing to me like the others. Just space a problem... those that stayed: 964 hot rod, 71 w/ 2.7, my 997 gt3rs

I think, you have to weigh it, because, i know my buddy he got a modern porsche with some back seats for the kids, that’s important for him, but he still has his other cars.

These older cars have a soul that gets under your skin. The new ones dont do that for me.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
You might think this nutty but have you considered adding a couple race cats before the muffler? That should kill, or at least help get rid of the cold start smell.
That's actually not a terrible idea. If only I knew someone that was knowledgeable in aftermarket 911 exhaust systems.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: