Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Which springs?

I smashed out the injector inserts yesterday, dropped off the intake runners at the powdercoater today, along with a ton of other engine parts. Lots of stuff to be gold zinc plated. Can't wait.

Last edited by ADDvanced; 05-30-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Old 05-30-2020, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Lots of stuff to be gold zinc plated. Can't wait.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 06-01-2020, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Garage
Ha! When I was working on my car this weekend, atmosphere came on, found it fitting:

Super quick vid on creating an RSR engine bar from a standard engine bar. Lost a little weight, looks cooler, cost : FREE! Free mods = BEST mods

Old 06-01-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

You should reinforce it. It looks racy, but now weaker.

Sherwood
Old 06-01-2020, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Love me some atmosphere; saw him a couple times - once in a really small venue north of Detroit; great energy.

Anyhow: it looks like you're moving right along, and I can certainly appreciate the idea of loosing weight.

The PC and Zinc coating is a fun part of this project, although some of the purists will poo-poo the idea of PC on the intake runners (and fan, etc etc) ... I am not one of them. To that end, if you're going to PC the intake runners, you should mask the area where the injectors go, so that when you re-install the O-ring for the sleeve, the sleeve, and then the injector (which ... also has an O-ring) there is not additional thickness (of the coating) that needs to be dealt with.

Do a little search on this forum: there are several who have completed the R&R of the CIS style injectors and put very detailed pics/how-to's that will be helpful.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Garage
I'm currently soaking the injectors in Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge, as that was suggested by a yotuube video where a guy backflushes CIS injectors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UrgtQe9CMs)

I haven't rigged up some backflushing system yet, but for now they're just soaking in a glass jar with that stuff.

Not too worried about the purists opinions, my car is pretty rough and I have no intention of keeping it original. I do want to keep my mods reversible. If someone after me wants to revert it to boring stock, go for it, so I will keep it with narrow hips.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Garage
Tiny updates:

All my parts are still at the powdercoater/plater, so no progress really. I picked up a rennline fan strap after trying to drill out my factory strap; it wound up in the trash. Trying to drill a curved piece of metal that large was pretty difficult with my benchtop unit, there wasn't enough room to curve it under the drill press 'table'.

I picked up my transmission from Accumoto, total damage was $4000 or so. All new bearings, new synchros, sliders, etc.

Since my case was mag, they felt comfortable peening the bearing areas to shrink them up instead of sending them out to be machined, and to improve the rigidity of the main/pinion shafts. Trans looks great, no idea how it shifts, CANNOT WAIT to get everything back together.

I've decided against the 964 cams at this time; I think they're awesome but my pistons don't have clearanced pockets for hte valves. Some say they might fit, some say they won't; but either way I'd have to redo all the timing and I don't have cam tools so... meh. They can sit on a shelf for now.

Twisted the hell out of my ankle last week, so honestly I've been pretty low key and hobbling around.

Next steps are probably pulling the rocker shafts and installing RSR seals, then doing a valve adjustment. Can't really do that without the crank pulley and bolt, which are being plated.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Garage
Oh yeah, also did this!

Pressure washed (twice), scrubbed w brake clean, scuffed up w 400 grit, then 600 grit. Paint was Krylon Fusion, supposed to be a primer/paint combo decent on plastics. Top coated with Duplicolor Clear Engine Enamel. Might be hard to see but it's a black metallic, has a lot of flake in it. Looks pretty awesome in the sunlight.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Garage
Been tackling a lot a little things, finally got the transmission back from Accumoto!

Details in video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cunCDBD29M
Old 06-27-2020, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

Garage
CIS Fuel Injection Teardown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oh2pmyp0Gs

In this video I show you how to remove the fuel injectors, replace the rubber intake tubes (mine were cracked), remove the intake runners, and remove the fuel injector sleeves. I also modified some of my intake runners and cut off some superfluous castings to improve the appearance and shed another few ounces (lol)

I really had no idea what I was doing in this vid; since taking this apart and recording this, I have learned a lot about the CIS system that will be covered in upcoming videos. Stay tuned!
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Garage
So I've heard that I should NOT be reusing these plastic fuel lines, and should instead switch to braided fuel lines or hard lines. Anybody have any good sources of info on this? This is the first time I'm hearing of it.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

I appreciate the vids. Pretty cool stuff.

Regarding the CIS and the various components: that system you are working with is very similar to the 78-79 CIS system on the SC.

CIS = Continuous Injection System (I believe is what that stands for) This system was engineered by Bosch in the period; and there are many other cars that have a similar system: F-cars, Daimlers, etc etc etc.

Many people have documented a torn apart CIS in 78-79 SC cars here, and you will want to take a look at the various posts they've made (myself included). You're going to want to replace all those sleeves and the O-rings, and so-forth.

I like that you're not being shy about making some small customization to the intake runners ... be careful though: consider the idea that there may have been some porosity in those castings that you may be uncovering by cutting hunks of aluminum off. Where I am going with this is: all it takes is one runner to not be air-tight and you have an engine with a poor running cadence.

Finally: regarding the fuel lines that you are referring to from the fuel distributor to each individual injector - replacing them would be a good idea; but I would be more concerned about the lines that go from the tunnel up to the FA and then over to your fuel distributor. You may want to get in touch with Len (BoxterGT) if you are interested in a set of braided SS in all of this.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, I'm checking your thread out now.

One of hte things I am struggling with is finding out which hoses I need to order. There are so many on pelican, and it seems like they're just organized by size/diameter, not exactly a part number since they aren't formed hoses.

Did you have a parts list handy on what you ordered for your CIS refresh?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

Garage
One other thing, has anyone heard of someone using leather straps for the airbox instead of those rubber ones? Mine are shot and I sort of hate the way they look.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Leather straps on the airbox cover: I suppose that would sound elegant, but I just bought a new pair of rubber straps from the host (they're cheap, considering).

For the hoses. I believe that you are referring to the vacuum hoses that you will need to replace in addition to all the other rubber components in this job. Our host sells all of it by the yard. If I recall correctly, you will need some 12mm,

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/550623090M21.htm?pn=55-0623-090-M21&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=793

Some 14mm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/550623100M21.htm?pn=55-0623-100-M21&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=793

And a lot of the 3.5mm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/550623020M21.htm?pn=55-0623-020-M21&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=793

Now; if you have not already figured out exactly what you need to replace all that stuff with the same cloth covered type: I would buy a meter of both 12 and 14, and then 3 meters of the 3.5 minimum. The reason here is because - you will have other rubber braided hoses in the "frunk" that will also need to be replaced, and having a little spare around will be helpful for when it comes time to do so.

You can certainly purchase these hoses from a different source (local FLAPS, if they have metric or I am sure that others will give you another interweb source to look) but when I replaced all those vacuum lines, I decided that it would be cool to have a period correct look with what came from the factory (I believe) at the time.

Last edited by Robey5; 07-02-2020 at 05:05 AM..
Old 07-02-2020, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: