Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Very entertaining and informative post. Keep up the good work and keep updating us.
Thanks
Tony

Old 07-22-2020, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robey5 View Post
if you're going to pull your engine, definitely replace these few things" and have a list of lengths and types of hoses.

Well, there is another vacuum line that goes from the tunnel up to a vacuum port on the engine that likely could use replacing. The diameter of that hose and length are detailed on one of the threads that is getting updated (vacuum leak you probably didn't ever think of). It is like 25mm in diameter and takes a rather bizarre route up to the vacuum port (at least on my car) - meaning you need like 1.5m of it to complete the mission.

Other things:
Your fuel lines that go up to the FA and return to the tunnel, but I would be willing to bet you’re already replacing those.

Keep plugging away, I am enjoying the ride so far!
Tried following your thread, struggling to understand what this connects to. I don't have cruise or O2 sensors so do I even have this hose?
Old 07-26-2020, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That line is for the brake booster if your car has one.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 07-27-2020, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Video #2 is up: Engine & Trans Removal without a lift, complete how to. Let me know if I missed anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W870A-EizDE

This is great! Love these kind of videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok gents, parts are starting to roll back in, and I'm turning up the boost! This is my LONGEST VIDEO YET, covering a TON of things. In this episode, I cover the following: Refinishing a fan shroud, installing some gold foil lined sound deadening, and then I dive into stopping as many oil leaks as possible: Pulley seal, Nose Bearing Seal (Tom Amon Seal), Intermediate Shaft Seal, Triangle of Death, Timing Covers, Oil Pressure Sender, Temp Sender, and Oil Cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovhYdKFrkgg

Let me know what you think, editing this one was a beast.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to rgofast
Those pulley seals hardly ever leak, unless they are damaged. It is the O ring around the nose bearing that will leak. We just did the aluminum ring on our 2.7 short stroke, which has your 2.9 engines 93mm bore, but on a 66mm crank. So far it appears that the seal ring kit has corrected the oil leak around the nose bearing area. That red RTV makes a mess. We disassembled a 2.7 that was leaking oil profusely, like yours, from the top of the case, and running down. The problem what’s, when we got down to splitting the case, it literally fell apart, once the bolts were removed. They had used red RTV as a case sealant. I hope they didn’t use it to seal your case, otherwise your just wasting your time, and will have to split the case to stop all of the leaks. A 2.9 mag case engine is a high stress engine. You’ll have to make sure that it does not run too hot, or it will twist. We fabricated our own 93mm cylinders by boring out 90mm nikasil cylinder cores, and pressing in 93mm steel sleeves. We have what are similar to 93mm biral cylinders. I believe JB racing also fabricates this type of cylinder. We are running Cosworth pistons and modified Weber 40IDA carbs. It literally screams at 7300 RPM. Good luck with yours.
1999 996 Carrera Cabriolet

Last edited by rgofast; 08-01-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgofast View Post
Those pulley seals hardly ever leak, unless they are damaged. It is the O ring around the nose bearing that will leak. We just did the aluminum ring on our 2.7 short stroke, which has your 2.9 engines 93mm bore, but on a 66mm crank. So far it appears that the seal ring kit has corrected the oil leak around the nose bearing area. That red RTV makes a mess. We disassembled a 2.7 that was leaking oil profusely, like yours, from the top of the case, and running down. The problem what’s, when we got down to splitting the case, it literally fell apart, once the bolts were removed. They had used red RTV as a case sealant. I hope they didn’t use it to seal your case, otherwise your just wasting your time, and will have to split the case to stop all of the leaks. A 2.9 mag case engine is a high stress engine. You’ll have to make sure that it does not run too hot, or it will twist. We fabricated our own 93mm cylinders by boring out 90mm nikasil cylinder cores, and pressing in 93mm steel sleeves. We have what are similar to 93mm biral cylinders. I believe JB racing also fabricates this type of cylinder. We are running Cosworth pistons and modified Weber 40IDA carbs. It literally screams at 7300 RPM. Good luck with yours.
Wow, that sounds like a very interesting endeavor. Can you post some pics - would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Ja
Old 08-01-2020, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The case looks to be sealed with some sort of blackish compound, not RTV. I think the engine was leaking oil, and the PO took it to an 'import shop' that was definitely not a porsche shop, and the mechanic was a total hack. It looks like they basically just took stuff off, slathered RTV on it, and put it back on. Oil return tubes, rocker shafts, thermostat, valve covers, etc. I don't believe that hack touched the case or the heads/jugs/etc.

Okay, so I have a question... is there a BUDGET way to do the clutch? I looked at pelican's pricing... and man another $1000 is hard to swallow right now. Can I get away with just taking the clutch apart, replacing the throwout bearing, getting the flywheel machined, and maybe just checking on the friction material... and just replace that if necessary?
Old 08-01-2020, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Also I did not lube the shaft when installing the pulley seal. Is that bad? Will it burn up? Should I just order another seal and pull that one out, lubricate the shaft, then install a new one? Let me know guys!
Old 08-01-2020, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Okay, so I have a question... is there a BUDGET way to do the clutch? I looked at pelican's pricing... and man another $1000 is hard to swallow right now. Can I get away with just taking the clutch apart, replacing the throwout bearing, getting the flywheel machined, and maybe just checking on the friction material... and just replace that if necessary?
Yes, perfectly reasonable approach if the clutch is still within spec. Make sure the pressure plate isn’t scored though; you can’t cut them. The t/o bearing, pilot bushing and a rear main seal just make sense to replace so you’re hopefully good for another 10s of thousands of miles if the clutch is still good. Get new flywheel bolts too- they’re single-use stretch bolts.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks man. Will pull them off tomorrow and see how they look.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)
Registered

For your clutch: I took a very similar approach. I made sure the flywheel was in good shape as well as the pressure plate, and then I scooped a friction disk from someone who was selling in the FS area on the forum that was not ever used (“SACHS” brand) for whatever reason. I was able to save a couple bux on that in the end.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Why am I reading that you should preemptively replace the release fork?

Is there a way to measure the friction material on my disc, to determine if it needs to be changed or not? It engaged fine, the only issue I really had was shifting into 2nd.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
Registered

From what I understand regarding the release fork is that it is prone to breaking without warning.

...for the record, I did not replace the release fork when my car was in pieces.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Alright guys, still no answer on the pulley seal... do I need to redo it with lube on the inside edge?

Anyway, new episode is up! Teardown of my clutch, inspecting everything, and changing out the flywheel seal. Also geeking out about my plated hardware and rebuilt alternator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Mxo1lbFqA
Old 08-05-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok I’m stumped. How do I get this rocker shaft out to install RSR seals

I can't push it towards the rear of the engine because of the timing cover.

I can't push it forwards because of the timing cover.

What do?

Last edited by ADDvanced; 08-06-2020 at 07:14 AM..
Old 08-05-2020, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Somebody has to have a trick for this.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Somebody has to have a trick for this.
Assuming the fastener is backed off, source a reverse (expanding) pliers with some sockets for spacers. Push the rocker shaft out toward the middle. If you need further encouragement, use a long drift punch to evenly drive it out.

Can also heat up the area around the rocker shaft to expand it, then shoot some Kroil around the shaft and shaft hole.

Is the camshaft housing coming off? if so, take it off. The rocker shaft could be binding when torqued in place.

Sherwood
Old 08-06-2020, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tried a long punch but unless it was curved there was no way to get it. I posted a few other places for advice and wound up using a socket and a screwdriver as a prybar. Worked aces! Have these three out, will be cleaning them up, installing RSR seals, and reinstalling today. Prelube w engine oil? Will read the book to discover more.

Another snag; I was skimming the engine book and in the disassembly, it didn't seem to mention marking the pressure plate or flywheel assembly prior to removing them, so I didn't. I am now reading they are balanced with the crank as an assembly. What should I do now? My machine shop charges $150ish to rebalance, but they don't have a crank to bolt it to.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)
Registered

I do not recall the flywheel and the pressure plate having a balancing situation - on mine.

I DO however remember the flywheel being directional. Meaning - on my engine - the 6 bolts (I believe that it was 6) that were there had a pattern so that the flywheel will only install one way. (IE: the holes on the flywheel are not perfectly spaced, and forces the mating to be one-way only).

I think that is the “balancing” that is being referred to, unless someone can help further.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: