Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
83 SC
 
ramonesfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post
I literally just installed an AGM H8 in my 87. Works great!
Which brand, Duralast from autozone?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 201





This damn thing barely fit!
__________________
Current Cars: 87 Carrera RS/IROC Tribute, 92 12V Jetta GLI, 07 Ford Explorer, 91 Miata track car
Previous Cars: 00 Carrera, 01 996tt, 07 997tt, APR tuned 12 Beetle
Instagram: @pdklol
Old 07-09-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
83 SC
 
ramonesfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,664
Garage
Oh yea thatís too big. Thatís group 49 I think which will fit my car but.....donít think I like it

Iím leaning towards the odyssey 680 but Iím a little annoyed that I have to also buy SAE terminals and a mounting bracket (donít feel like making one)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
Oh yea thatís too big. Thatís group 49 I think which will fit my car but.....donít think I like it

Iím leaning towards the odyssey 680 but Iím a little annoyed that I have to also buy SAE terminals and a mounting bracket (donít feel like making one)
Honestly it was not that much heavier than the one that came out. I was shocked what little difference there was. I'm pulling the electric AC system so I needed to bump it up a bit.
__________________
Current Cars: 87 Carrera RS/IROC Tribute, 92 12V Jetta GLI, 07 Ford Explorer, 91 Miata track car
Previous Cars: 00 Carrera, 01 996tt, 07 997tt, APR tuned 12 Beetle
Instagram: @pdklol
Old 07-09-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber
 
Koizumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 803
49 really is tight. Especially with a cutoff and added accessories.

Iím definitely going new technology in a smaller form next time around.
__________________
----------------------------
'84 911
'95 840Ci
----------------------------
Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,050
my suggestion, go with a Group 48/H6 AGM battery -- fits cleanly using stock battery tray mounting bolts, is slightly lighter/smaller than the group 49/H8 and the AGM technology minimizes the potential for battery acid damage.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
 
83 SC
 
ramonesfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,664
Garage
I think thatís a good idea

If you have a preferred brand please let me know

Battery reviews online for all brands are all over the place...good and bad.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
I think thatís a good idea

If you have a preferred brand please let me know

Battery reviews online for all brands are all over the place...good and bad.

Interstate has one. My dad just picked up the H6 AGM from them for his 89 Turbo
__________________
Current Cars: 87 Carrera RS/IROC Tribute, 92 12V Jetta GLI, 07 Ford Explorer, 91 Miata track car
Previous Cars: 00 Carrera, 01 996tt, 07 997tt, APR tuned 12 Beetle
Instagram: @pdklol
Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
theiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,306
im running an interstate group 48 with no issues
__________________
1976 Yamaha XS360 ( Beats Walkin')
1978 911 SC Targa ( Yamaha Support Vehicle )
2006 Audi A4 2.0T (Porsche Support Vehicle )
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
stevie 77 930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Posts: 645
Garage
Just a few weeks ago i purchased Interstate MT91 made in Germany $ 165.00 at local All Car Parts LTD Fits perfectly in 1983 911
__________________
1983 911SC
1974 914
2018 GTS
2017 BMW 340I M Sport Package
'76 911s , '72 911t, '73 1/2 911t, '77 Turbo (all gone)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
83 SC
 
ramonesfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,664
Garage
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SCadaddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie 77 930 View Post
Just a few weeks ago i purchased Interstate MT91 made in Germany $ 165.00 at local All Car Parts LTD Fits perfectly in 1983 911
That's probably the same battery as the Autozone Duralast Gold T6-DLG battery that has a 5 year warranty (3 years free replacement, 2 years afterwards pro-rated) vs. the Interstate battery having a "24 month warranty" for the same $165. And you can find an Autozone store just about anywhere should you have warranty claim issues.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
 
83 SC
 
ramonesfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,664
Garage
I ended up buying an autocraft platinum agm group H6 from advance auto parts. Purchased online with in store pickup for the $50 discount. Total with core charge and NY tax came to $167.39. Seemed like a good battery and good deal

If I have any issues, Iíll post about it
Old 08-09-2019, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Red Line Service
 
Marc Bixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 444
Garage
Not a big fan of Interstate, as their batteries tend to "gas out" more than others in 911's. Don't know why, but we consistently see more acid damage in Interstate cars than any other. Deka is a great call, and go with a 91/48. You don't need the big monster any longer as battery technology has progressed greatly since the 80's. Also, it may not be a bad idea to add a battery vent tube to the car as Porsche added to 964 and later. You can run the hose through an existing grommet above the battery, in the area where the fog light wires pass through. No holes to drill.
__________________
Marc Bixen
Red Line Service
West Los Angeles, Ca.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Teutonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 768
Garage
The best option I could find near me was... Walmart.

H6 AGM Everstart (Platinum) for $150. Warranty's not bad and there's always a WM nearby.
__________________
Allen
'85 911 Coupe
'75 BMW 2002
'02 Ducati Monster 900ie
Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic
 
ClickClickBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boulder Creek CA
Posts: 2,978
Garage
A thought, one of the reasons Porsche may have used a tractor grade battery is, weight and balance.
Adding a bigger motor, A/C, and all the other stuff added over the years to the back of then car changed the weight and balance ratio.
__________________
1984 Carrera El Chupacabra
1974 Toyota FJ40 Turbo Diesel
"Easy, easy, this car is just the right amount of chitty"
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 08-10-2019, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic
 
ClickClickBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boulder Creek CA
Posts: 2,978
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bixen View Post
Not a big fan of Interstate, as their batteries tend to "gas out" more than others in 911's. Don't know why, but we consistently see more acid damage in Interstate cars than any other. Deka is a great call, and go with a 91/48. You don't need the big monster any longer as battery technology has progressed greatly since the 80's. Also, it may not be a bad idea to add a battery vent tube to the car as Porsche added to 964 and later. You can run the hose through an existing grommet above the battery, in the area where the fog light wires pass through. No holes to drill.
I added the vent tube 964 style to my car. Been working on the fan shroud area of my car and treated the mag casting with ACF-50 anti-corrosion spray. Gonna hit the battery area as well. Might even use some on the dog as well!
__________________
1984 Carrera El Chupacabra
1974 Toyota FJ40 Turbo Diesel
"Easy, easy, this car is just the right amount of chitty"
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 08-10-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Red Line Service
 
Marc Bixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 444
Garage
Click, Click, "Might even use some on the dog as well!"
Now that's funny!
__________________
Marc Bixen
Red Line Service
West Los Angeles, Ca.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Next to Mulholland [west]
Posts: 2,390
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
A thought, one of the reasons Porsche may have used a tractor grade battery is, weight and balance.
Adding a bigger motor, A/C, and all the other stuff added over the years to the back of then car changed the weight and balance ratio.
GOOD POINT.....IN MY 1973 I have 2 each 12volt batteries in paralel and 2 small battery boxes way up on the extreme front corners of the car below the headlights.

They are there to help the weight and balance and therefore the handling. No electrical need for 2 batteries.

It does NOT need 2 batteries,l in fact I ran a year on 1 battery when I had one go dead. I just disconnected the passenger side one and left it there for ballast.

In the last 20 years I have replaced them a couple of times. Lately I am using a sealed Mazda Miata batttery size. They are quite availalbe and resonably priced and the best part is they are AGM and completely sealed which is nice as I don't want any acid rusting my pristine battery boxes and frunk floor.

I just ordered a new set on Amazon and they were $106 each with free shipping!!
__________________
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic
 
ClickClickBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boulder Creek CA
Posts: 2,978
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklague View Post
GOOD POINT.....IN MY 1973 I have 2 each 12volt batteries in paralel and 2 small battery boxes way up on the extreme front corners of the car below the headlights.

They are there to help the weight and balance and therefore the handling. No electrical need for 2 batteries.

It does NOT need 2 batteries,l in fact I ran a year on 1 battery when I had one go dead. I just disconnected the passenger side one and left it there for ballast.

In the last 20 years I have replaced them a couple of times. Lately I am using a sealed Mazda Miata batttery size. They are quite availalbe and resonably priced and the best part is they are AGM and completely sealed which is nice as I don't want any acid rusting my pristine battery boxes and frunk floor.

I just ordered a new set on Amazon and they were $106 each with free shipping!!
From my postings, you will note I am not shy about modding. My belief is to think through the original intent of the factory engineers. Since they aren't offering it out in to the open, deduction needs to be carefully applied. If you look at the engineering needed to place the battery(s) all the way up front, as far as possible, it is apparent that there had to be a reason, especially when there was a perfectly good smugglers box available, yielding a shorter positive cable and centralized location. Moving the battery to the extreme limits of the Center of Gravity range possibility was possibly for a reason other than convenience.
__________________
1984 Carrera El Chupacabra
1974 Toyota FJ40 Turbo Diesel
"Easy, easy, this car is just the right amount of chitty"
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 08-18-2019, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:15 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.