Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
Ah I see you’ve never played with bmw’s or gtr’s before
I've owned several BMWs.
Biggest repair bill has been tires.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)

Garage
Sugar, first breath. I am past the initial shock of the repair bill. Might hurt again when I drop the cash in hand, but i'm good with it. All 911's will cost 20-30K to fix in time, you either gt it all at once or spread out.

I like the car, i'm into it for a new trans and bits already, the car is half to being disaster free. I'll be joining Tony's engine rebuild session in the spring and maybe rebuilding the car in the fall. I have been fortunate enough to have some freelance work fall in my lap that should erase the trans cost, and maybe then some if all goes well.

So after I sort the engine next year I will have a car with all the huge headaches dealt with and I can enjoy it for the next 30 years.

I may also park a Vette next to it, or maybe a Cobra kit because one flavor just isn't enough.

Also, you only get hurt in a recession if you sell, and why would you.

Ramones, the bill was for a complete trans rebuild including a diff set up into a new case, a new clutch, and valve adjustments. The head stud issue will be dealt with next year.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I was referring SCadaddale above who said his head stud repair was $11k which if only for head studs, is outrageous
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I've owned several BMWs.
Biggest repair bill has been tires.
Whoever got that bmw after you paid the 20k

Modern bmws are crap. Itís taken several burns before I learnt my lesson. Cracking frames, chocolate bearings, suspension that doesnít go 20k without rattling and sagging, vanos failures, play-dough gaskets guaranteed to start leaking oil and bio degradable wiring harnesses- all wrapped up in a car that deprecates like yesterdayís paper.

Even if an old Porsche has the occasional costly repair itís nothing against running a bmw made this century. You could rebuild your 915 every year just with the depreciation cost alone.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
All of the 6 VWs Iíve had, brand new, cost me far more than my 911 ever has in 13 years Iíve owned it. I had 2000 golf I put $25k into in 3 years. And in then end I traded it in for a jeep and the dealer offered me $800 for it...I bought it brand new. Itís fair to say all of my VWs have been close to being lemons. Garbage

Itís far more palatable to put money into a car you love and will keep than into a crap daily driver car you known you wonít own in a few years
Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I expect my 915 to outlive me....
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
I was referring SCadaddale above who said his head stud repair was $11k which if only for head studs, is outrageous

Let's see, off the top of my head:

R&R engine/transmission assembly
All new clutch components (while you are there)
Disassemble, clean and reassemble everything from the case out
Engine gasket kit
Rebuild tensioners
Replace CIS gaskets, injector sleeves, O rings etc.
Sub out KS Alusil pistons and cylinders to EBS to be Nikasil plated and provide rings
Replace the lower 12 Dilivar head studs with OEM steel studs, new nuts and washers
Rocker arm shafts all get the RSR rubber seals
New valve guides on the exhaust side of the head, cut seats and grind valves
Service CV axle assemblies....

Sure there is plenty more. Between the parts and the labor it adds up REAL quick.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Exactly. Your car needed most of that anyway even if the head studs were not broken. Thatís not the cost of replacing just the head studs so saying a head stud job was 11 grand isnít accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post
Let's see, off the top of my head:

R&R engine/transmission assembly
All new clutch components (while you are there)
Disassemble, clean and reassemble everything from the case out
Engine gasket kit
Rebuild tensioners
Replace CIS gaskets, injector sleeves, O rings etc.
Sub out KS Alusil pistons and cylinders to EBS to be Nikasil plated and provide rings
Replace the lower 12 Dilivar head studs with OEM steel studs, new nuts and washers
Rocker arm shafts all get the RSR rubber seals
New valve guides on the exhaust side of the head, cut seats and grind valves
Service CV axle assemblies....

Sure there is plenty more. Between the parts and the labor it adds up REAL quick.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)

I'm sorry, but this is all I can think of at your initial reaction to the repairs.

Not to say that YOU specifically caused it, just the way it surprised you and your reactions.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)

Garage
LOL, In my slightly humble defense, most 915 services come in quite a bit under where I landed. I was figureing 4000-7000, almost 12K hit a good bit harder. LOL

I'm now in the Efft stage, time to just DI IT
Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
Exactly. Your car needed most of that anyway even if the head studs were not broken. That’s not the cost of replacing just the head studs so saying a head stud job was 11 grand isn’t accurate.
Alrighty then, I've pointed out what I had done for X dollars, you tell me what you can get done for Y dollars when it comes to a 911 engine with at least one broken head stud, and you R&R the engine/transmission as a single component to do the work.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Iím not suggesting you over paid for the work you had done but you had a ton of extra work done including fuel injection and clutch....while your in there stuff....I and many people are not in the position of being able to do all that simply because the engine is out

All these cars at this point would benefit by taking them apart and rebuilding every system...you could spend a lot more than $11k on any of these cars

In my world, when I need the head studs replaced, I pay to have the head studs replaced and I pay only for that, and in my world that costs around $3k-$5k maybe less

When Iím able to and when itís absolutely time to do other things, I do them down the road....i have a long term plan for this car and prioritize in accordance with that plan and my finances even if it ends up costing more over the course of 5 or 10 years

Point is, when I ask the mechanic for an estimate to replace head studs....if he says $11k I would laugh and never go back
Old 07-25-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)

83 SC

Garage
To put it simply, when telling someone what a head stud job costs you, I donít think itís fair to give them the figure you paid that included a lot of extra work

Frankly, if I had seen your $11k comment before I bought my 911 13 years ago, I may have never bought it. Thatís a frightening figure to fix a problem that all SC owners will face at some point
Old 07-25-2019, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post
Whoever got that bmw after you paid the 20k

Modern bmws are crap. It’s taken several burns before I learnt my lesson. Cracking frames, chocolate bearings, suspension that doesn’t go 20k without rattling and sagging, vanos failures, play-dough gaskets guaranteed to start leaking oil and bio degradable wiring harnesses- all wrapped up in a car that deprecates like yesterday’s paper.

Even if an old Porsche has the occasional costly repair it’s nothing against running a bmw made this century. You could rebuild your 915 every year just with the depreciation cost alone.

That's why you buy a used BMW.

The last BMW I owned for 6 years
and it depreciated $2300 in that time

Easily one of the best values of any car out there.
They are bulletproof tanks that do not have gearbox or engine out repairs.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)

Quote:
That's why you buy a used BMW.

The last BMW I owned for 6 years
and it depreciated $2300 in that time

Easily one of the best values of any car out there.
They are bulletproof tanks that do not have gearbox or engine out repairs.
They have a history of engine failures...
Old 07-25-2019, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
No, that would be Porsche, LOL. The most costly repair I've heard is timing chain guides, but I think that is often limited to V8. Most go to 200k miles without missing a beat. Oh, they do burn oil. $5/qt.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Thereís no point in arguing with Suga. He believes his myopic world view and personal experience is the only truth.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-26-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
This is a great thread to unsubscribe from
Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
No, that would be Porsche, LOL. The most costly repair I've heard is timing chain guides, but I think that is often limited to V8. Most go to 200k miles without missing a beat. $5/qt.
Iím not a bmw guy. But Iíve been heavily turned off by electrical/computer related issues stranding owners on the side of roads common. And repairs of the ecu costing $1000-1500 just to have the need to reflash by the dealer. Not very cool to me.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)
gearhead

My brother bought a ten year old low mileage 3 series for $7500. In 3 years he spent more than the purchase price on maintenance. He dumped the car as a down payment on a CPO 2015 WRX and hasn't spent a cent on maintenance in 2 years.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: