Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Geronimo, when you overhaul the engine, be sure to replace the pistons with lower compression ones, such as in the 930 (7:1 for decent, off boost driveability and lots of room for big boost, or 8:1 for a little better off boost driveability but less room for boosting error without modern EFI and knock sensing ignition). Turbo powwwaaaahhhhhh, bro, turbo pooowwwwaaaahhhhhh!!!!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Geronimo,

I will give you a special 50% discount for the enrollment fee and the best seat in the house if you are interested in rebuilding your engine. If you come and join us in the spring, I will let you drive my Ď78 SC track car and experience yourself how a properly cared and maintained car with 915 transmission shifts. The only problem is do you know how to drive and shift a 915 transmission? Not all good drivers are familiar with 915 manual transmission characteristics. Give it a thought and PM me later.

Tony
this is a good thought, and given the carís history of gearbox rebuilds, the previous owner may not have known how to drive.
I know someone with a car identical to mine, but completed very recently, who broke their gearbox three times in 12 months (mine and others from the same shop only needed a refresh once in 14 years)
They tried to blame the workshop but the in car footage showed the true culprit!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
They tried to blame the workshop but the in car footage showed the true culprit!
Yup, like this guy slammin' the poor 915 into gear on every shift.

Needs a lesson indeed from the internet experts here on 915 synchro preservation techniques.

https://youtu.be/i1Xn9Tq3Beg?t=76

Last edited by pmax; 07-23-2019 at 09:22 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

That looks fine? For a race..
Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Garage
Rawks, i'll have to sit back and really really decide if I am going to commit to the turbo power... it's another order of magnitude of complexity and with my luck that spells danger.

I do already have a 3.2 manifold, fuel rails and TB.

Today is the employee car show... 300-400+ cars, it will be bitter sweet.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Solution to all your problems:
turn-key complete 3.2 drivetrain dropout
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Garage
LOL YEA! $16.5K and a rebuild on both with my luck Hahahaha I actually think I like the revvy nature of the 3.0.... just needs moooore RAWKNESS. (yes you are a verb).
Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Garage
My SC has 275,000 miles. It was a daily driver for 25 years. The ONLY issue it has had is the typical problem downshifting into first. These cars are not delicate - nor are they poorly designed (laughable). They, like all cars that are 30-40 years old used the best tech they could - and expecting that there will be no issues after that amount of time, or that they will behave like a modern car is the same as expecting a Model T to compete with a 1960s 911. It's just not reasonable.

1999 4Runner Limited - it won't quit running so I'm still driving
Old 07-24-2019, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
Traumatic bonding- that urraco video link I posted somewhere is very inspiring man. Check it out. The guy had immediate major engine rebuild issues because the timing belt was not adjusted properly....imaging jumping into rebuilding a Lamborghini engine all by yourself. All these years later the guy has and loves the car. You will too

Here it is again
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvx9y4cuzE
i know him, that car and the details of the rebuild. a 911 is a toyota camry next to an urraco for parts availability, reliability and general anguish.

knowing all of this, ive driven a couple of urraco's and absolutely love em.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
i know him, that car and the details of the rebuild. a 911 is a toyota camry next to an urraco for parts availability, reliability and general anguish.

knowing all of this, ive driven a couple of urraco's and absolutely love em.
Thatís interesting. I love that video and I love that car and I love how he only allows bare feet in the car. Itís an absolute jewel. I canít imagine tackling such a project in the 80s before the internet. Even now, info and help on old Lamborghiniís is very scarce
Old 07-24-2019, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Yup, like this guy slammin' the poor 915 into gear on every shift.

Needs a lesson indeed from the internet experts here on 915 synchro preservation techniques.
Hmm... can't tell if that is meant to be sarcastic. I find his technique exemplary. Smooth, unhurried upshifts and rev matched downshifts. One should be able to drive a 915 in that manner for a very long time.

By way of contrast, here is some real abuse. Try this with a 915 and see if it will make it a full quarter mile:

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 07-24-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Garage
Ahhhh American Muscle... takes a beating and asks for more.....

Makes me want a nice 68 Vette 4spd.... with side pipes of course. To Contrast the 911
Old 07-24-2019, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)

Just last week I received an ad from one of the classic car houses for a recently restored '67 'Vette. Green metallic convertible with a white ragtop, black hardtop, black interior, 430 hp tri-power 427, close ratio Muncie M22, 4:11 gears, positraction. The works. All original. I scrolled down the ad slowly, not wanting to ruin it by seeing the price. A '67 S in that condition, equivalently optioned, all original, would fetch what - $250K or more? Lots more? They only wanted a buck ten for the damn thing. Makes one wonder what the real "street price" would be on such a car. I might be able to have more fun with one of those than I would with a '67 S. For less than half the money.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Garage
You can get a very nice 68-71 4spd car for 20K a big block car for 25-35K

I may keep my car NA and try to add a C3 to the garage in the future.... I'm mean I should own a GM car since I work for them
Old 07-24-2019, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)

Puts it in perspective, doesn't it? I'm an old MOPAR guy, having cut my teeth drag racing mid to late '60's big-block "B" bodied cars (Road Runners, Super Bees, GTX's, RT's). 383's and 440's, couldn't afford a Hemi car. Today, that vintage of Hemi "B" body can be had for half of what that '67 'Vette is advertised for.

Funny, 20 years ago, the over inflated prices in that market drove me to Porsche. There has been a massive correction since then. Porsche is way, way overdue. I paid $8,000 for my '72 back then. It's still an $8,000 car, regardless of what the market says.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)

Garage
Geronimo,

Ok, reality check for you.

Seriously, sell the car. You got a **** sandwich. Gearbox rebuild for $12k and head studs will cost you god knows what. List it for $40k and see what offers you get.

Parking it for a year is the single worst option. That's just kicking the can and sticking your head in the sand and going into denial. The car will be parked until the day you die.

You've tied up $40k in capital for a paper weight. The pain of dropping another $20k+ into this car will never get better. And if there is a recession, values will drop, and it will be even worse for you. Get out. There is nothing positive. Sell it, and get a car that does not have these massive high dollar catastrophes.

Literally any other car out there will never give you a $20k repair bill. Game over. Start making the ad. And if you don't list it for sale, then it's best to fork over the $20k today and suck it up and stop complaining. It's time to **** or get off the pot. Pony up another $20k or get whatever you can back and move on. Parking it will almost certainly guarantee you a dead end. Cut your losses. The car was a mistake. Now, it's time to fix that mistake and not make it an even worse mistake.

Get the 'vette. There is literally not one reason to keep it. You don't have twisties. It's too slow for you. Modding it will be like lighting money on fire, as the car value goes down, the more you spend. You don't like the yuppie snob association of the brand. It's going to cost $20k to repair. Game over. I feel really bad for you. There are tons of incredible cars you get for $15k, and you will sleep much better at night. A hobby car should bring joy, not a year of negative stress and hassle.

Last edited by sugarwood; 07-24-2019 at 07:57 PM..
Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
Hmm... can't tell if that is meant to be sarcastic. I find his technique exemplary. Smooth, unhurried upshifts and rev matched downshifts. e>
Yep. By comparison, the guy I was talking about was very hamfisted.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Geronimo,

Literally any other car out there will never give you a $20k repair bill.
Ah I see youíve never played with bmwís or gtrís before
Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)

Having been in Geronimo's spot with an SC with a broken head stud----that I was unaware of when I bought my car---- or, a "pre-existing condition" (!) I threw down the 11k to fix it right, ONLY because what I paid for the car 7 years ago I had already figured in the cost of a broken head stud should it occur, and I would still be ok in the market. I rolled the dice and lost, but what would have been a "Great deal" on the front end still wound up as an "OK deal" when I was done.

That being said, and hindsight is 20-20, IF Geronimo's broken head stud isn't on either end of the engine, but has one very close by on an adjacent cylinder, I'd probably keep on driving it at least long enough to get rid of it should that be my choice. He's still got 11 of 12 head studs clamping an assembly of 3 cylinder heads bound together by the cam carrier as a unit to the engine case. The load on the adjacent stud effectively doubled, but as long as it doesn't break I'd go on down the road with it. There are PLENTY of these 911 SC's, 3.2 Carreras, and even 964's driving around with broken head studs.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Why was your cost to fix head studs $11k? Obviously a ton of other work was done, no?

Tool cost for head stud replacement
Old 07-25-2019, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: