Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I`m with the boys above.
Since the 1980 i have only used the feel in my hands-fingers. No feeler gauge or anything else..as my mentor showed me couple of times how to go about it.......

Ivan
Old 07-29-2019, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

[QUOTE=ramonesfreak;10539342]I’m curious but more so about the stomski valve lash adjuster...might as well research that one too if considering something like this

Ramone, I like using a dial indicator and the Stomski setup is 'first class" (just like everything else Steve makes) but I imagine a "Z" block works just as well.

I've also used the Kirk tool, which was accurate, but seemed to require a certain knack to use. My pro mechanic friends have similar 'handles with knobs' tools for generic valve adjustments. The Kirk tool's small size may give it an advantage for doing valve adjustments with the engine in the car.

I've used feeler gauges successfully, since high school; but that doesn't make me feel I should disparage other methods. Doing my last adjustment with the engine in a stand, I entertained myself by using and comparing all three. (I'm easily entertained) :-) Which was "best"? I dunno. I just liked using the dial indicator.

This "Snap-Gap" tool is intriguing, but I'm not sure I completely understand it. In addition to being a method to adjust valve gap, is the Snap-Gap locking nut supposed to be an improvement over the original lock-nut? Is that what the little hex-head screw and the plastic 'loctite' incorporated into the Snap-Gap nut is supposed to do?

If the Snap-Gap provides a more secure locking method, it might be worthwhile on that basis alone. Isn't that the kind of mechanical security that Porsche racer-guys are always trying to improve on?

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

In case it was misunderstood, the correct lash any engine should have is designed into the cam motion and is measured at operating temperature. To make the adjustment easier on these 911 engines a number is given "cold" that is assumed to be the clearance when the engine is cold and when hot, the designed clearance.

But every engines use is different and so may the engines temperature. This is a ball park number then. So the use and accuracy of any cold lash tool and or procedure should be taken into account.

My advice, use what ever tool and procedure gives you a sense that what you have just done is accurate.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I really enjoyed the posts from Island and Neil H.; learned a lot from both those guys.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Related question. I had a SOHC honda CB750 with Yoshimura race cam in it. When the cam was purchased, Yoshimura included a spec for the valve lash. It was 2 or 3 times large gap than what Honda recommended for the factory cam. What was the point of that extra gap?
Also, the exhaust valves had a greater gap spec than the intake valves. I assume that was due to different thermal expansion they would see?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I've been using the technique described by island911 for many years. I've used feeler gauges on my MGA while it was hot and running. I used feeler gauges on VWs that were cold from sitting overnight. I used the hockey stick feeler gauge for the 911. (#6 doesn't have room for two hands, much less the three required.) I've used the 'Z' block, when the engine is out. Then I read about the thread angle on the tappet and it made sense.

When I first started using this technique, I'd check it against the 'Z' block and it was always dead on. And only two hands!

For beginners, I'd just suggest they remember a little loose and loud is OK, but a little too tight is WRONG, wrong, wrong.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
"For beginners, I'd just suggest they remember a little loose and loud is OK, but a little too tight is WRONG, wrong, wrong"

Whether a beginner or a pro, my question is why not be spot on the spec on every valve every time if you can?

Inventor of SNAPGAP - The Valve Adjustment Solution
European Patent No. 3256703 and U.S. Patents Pending
Go to SNAPGAP.US or PM me.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

lespaul,

The Snapgap is a nice looking tool and I love good tools.

However, there is no exact/correct/spot-on setting. What temp was the engine? Has the feeler gauge been tweaked or hammered? How much do the shims expand at different temps? Are the tappet ends perfectly shaped or flat spotted and pitted? Are the valve seats and guides still "perfect"? Did the tappet screw deflect a single degree when the lock nut was cinched down? And on and on.

Basically, we want the valve to completely seat (hence the gap), but we don't want the valve to hammer the seat (the small gap). (I'm not trying to argue with anyone about why/how the gap size is determined. But I thought it was simply to allow metal to expand as it got hotter. Nobody changes the gap because they now run synthetic oil?)

I'd guess people are shy to adjust their own valves because...
1) They don't have three hands.
2) They wonder what the correct "feel" is with a feeler gauge.
3) They think there is a spot-on setting; which feeds back into what is the correct feel.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Try adjusting the left side of a 930 with ONE hand.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

John,

I'd pay admission to watch a ONE handed valve adjustment! =8^)
Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Reiver

I used the Stomski and liked it....and that is adjusting your valves btw.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
how often should one check valve clearances?

Thanks

Jason
Old 08-21-2019, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'd pay admission to watch a ONE handed valve adjustment! =8^)
Michael,

PM me and I will give you my PayPal for your admission fee. One handed in 1 minute and 10 sec. and accurate to 0.10 mm On the first take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tYcrghTy0&t=11s

Inventor of SNAPGAP - The Valve Adjustment Solution
European Patent No. 3256703 and U.S. Patents Pending
Go to SNAPGAP.US or PM me.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
To all you guy's busting on Brad. I've met Brad two times once to sell him some parts and another time a friend of mine and I went over to his house to possibly purchase a car he thought he'd sell. HE'S a very nice articulate good man. I doubt any of you members joking about him could invent and bring to market this device. So lay off him.

I think a engine re builder would love this tool.

Mike ONeill
Greenwich NY
Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Novel invention..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul View Post
In compliance with the Forum Rules against Vendors, I have not responded to some of the commentary. However, someone asked my identity and had questions. My name is Brad Fawley and I am the developer of SNAPGAP. My forum user name is "lespaul." If you have questions, they may be answered on the FAQ of the SNAPGAP site or you can PM me and I will do my best to answer.

Regards,

Brad

Brad,

By nature I am very skeptical and does not get impressed easily by people or their works. After I saw the video of your Snap Gap tool, I was not only impressed by the versatility of your tool but the accuracy of its setting. I like to order one kit and use this novel invention in my next Engine Rebuilding Classes. PM sent.

Tony
Old 08-21-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezoneill View Post
To all you guy's busting on Brad. I've met Brad two times once to sell him some parts and another time a friend of mine and I went over to his house to possibly purchase a car he thought he'd sell. HE'S a very nice articulate good man. I doubt any of you members joking about him could invent and bring to market this device. So lay off him.

I think a engine re builder would love this tool.

Mike ONeill
Greenwich NY
Uhmmm... on inventing... oh never mind.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

What this community needs are a few more vintage Bugs to practice on! That’s how I learned to adjust valves and the process is so much easier because of access...and there are only 8 valves to adjust. The 911 engine in car valve adjust is such a pain because of such tight quarters and needing to remove AC and exhaust components. How does this new tool work with engine in car? The YouTube demo appears to be an engine out valve adjust. Full disclosure, I’m intimidated to do a 911 valve adjust without an experienced 2nd pair of eyes, at least for the first time.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFTKUL View Post
Would the weight of the shim and collar affect the movement/balance of the rocker arm?
Good question... I'm guessing around 20% more in weight. Could that be an issue?

Titanium would be a good alternative but also a lot more expensive.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

I have seen SnapGap in action at Hershey! It simplifies doing the valve adjustment and takes the guess work out of it. Keep up the good work
Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Do you re-use the collars every time you do an adjustment or is it just the shims that are discarded? Looks like a foolproof method to me. Presently use and like the Kirk tool for my adjustments.
Yukon Yellow
Old 08-22-2019, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: