Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Collars are re-used. Shims are removed with needle nose pliers -- they are shaped to stay on the valve adjustment screw after the collar is loosened and are attracted to a magnet if needed. Then the old shims are discarded so new shims with handles can be installed.

The collar screws are also removed and, we recommend, be discarded. While they can be reused, the pre-installed ND threadlocker patch on the small screws loses about 50% of its holding power with each use.

Inventor of SNAPGAP - The Valve Adjustment Solution
European Patent No. 3256703 and U.S. Patents Pending
Go to SNAPGAP.US or PM me.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

new valve adjustment tool

Man this is nifty to say the least. I always welcome new creative approaches to supposedly Ďset in stoneí procedures. Very cool.

Like some others have mentioned, Iím curious as to how this works with the engine in place. Space constraints, body contortion antics, etc. Valve adjustments are mostly a study in gymnastics (and bad backs) for me lol
----------------------------

Last edited by Koizumi; 08-22-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Like some others have mentioned, Iím curious as to how this works with the engine in place. Space constraints, body contortion antics, etc. Valve adjustments are mostly a study in gymnastics (and bad backs) for me lol
My multiple experiences putting it on and off a '78 SC showed:

1. No need to remove engine tin.

2. Easy access to all intake valves -- including #6 because you only need one hand. No contortion required.

3. Right side exhaust - the easiest. Simple easy access.

4. Left side exhaust - presents the most problem if you have a CAT (as with any valve adjustment technique). However, you can do it pretty easily with the engine in by either (1) removing your CAT or (2) using a standard torque wrench set to 10 Nm and a regular 2 mm allen key. See pics below.

If you have A/C or a turbo, you may need to move or remove some components -- but I believe that is true with any valve adjustment tool.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
how often should one check valve clearances?

Thanks

Jason
10k should be fine
Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Snap Gap

I personally have purchased and used the Snap Gap valve adjusting tool. This is a great tool and makes doing valve adjustments a breeze. No figuring or worrying if you have the valves adjusted correctly. (Too tight---Too Loose) The savings over taking it to a shop makes it a worthwhile tool.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyC View Post
I personally have purchased and used the Snap Gap valve adjusting tool. This is a great tool and makes doing valve adjustments a breeze. No figuring or worrying if you have the valves adjusted correctly. (Too tight---Too Loose) The savings over taking it to a shop makes it a worthwhile tool.
I know...have not used it yet but like the 'no figuring' as after setting them I always wonder about the uniformity or lack there of...peace of mind is worth the cost to me and the 'locking' process is nice too.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
I too am interested in the tool, but I would prefer a set in a metal having similar characteristics to the stock metal. After several exchanges with Brad, he has indicated that Titanium would be a close match, but that the kit price would be higher, $325 vs. the current price of $175. The collars and screws would both be titanium. The weight reduction would be to knock the current SNAPGAP weight of 6.1 g down to 3.35 g vs. the OEM nut of 2.7 g. Otherwise the kit would be the same -- and, of course additional sets of shims would remain the same for both kits. The expansion coefficient for titanium is actually a bit less than steel, so the titanium collars would actually grip the steel adjustment screws a bit tighter than the steel collars when the two are heated by engine operation. To make this viable he would need to determine whether they would be marketable at that price point. To me it is a minor investment if it results in greatly simplifying the valve adjustment process, providing easily repeatable and accurate adjustments and has the same or better reliability of component parts. Please indicate if you would be interested in a titanium kit.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Is nobody else wanting a titanium based key?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul View Post
Michael,

PM me and I will give you my PayPal for your admission fee. One handed in 1 minute and 10 sec. and accurate to 0.10 mm On the first take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tYcrghTy0&t=11s
Brad,

I finally came back to this thread and found the link you left me. One handed! That is neat.

My comment to John W. is about the limited space when adjusting the intake valve on #6, while in the car. Maybe your one handed torque wrench will let you do this? Even if not, your demo is impressive.

My mind is balking at the idea of that shim coming loose during readjustments. To do a readjustment, I'd have to take it apart, at least enough to pull the shim back out and without the handle that seems to mean completely removing the collar?
Old 09-27-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Michael,

Of course I was kidding about the "price of admission." You are a good sport though!

Today I posted an installation video on Intake #6 with engine in and a followup with a dial gauge showing 0.10 mm.

And, as far as the shim falling off during removal for the next adjustment, the shim is designed with "bumps" to ensure the shim hangs on the adjustment screw. See pic below. This helps in both install and removal. You can take the collar all the way off or just loosen it enough to grab the shim and pull it off the adjustment screw.

Hope that helps!

Brad

Old 09-27-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Reiver

I suspect that before removal check it with a dial gauge.....when adjusting valves I often only have to adjust a few after a 10k interval.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Your video of the valve adjustment on # 6 sold me. I just ordered mine

Thanks

David
Old 09-28-2019, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
DAMN! I might just jump on the band-wagon!
Old 09-28-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Smile question

I am waiting for mine to be delivered...but...got to read and see video several times and I see the benefits.
please elaborate on how do I test on the 2nd valve adjustment next year, to see that one or more valve NEED or DO NOT NEED an adjustment?
Is it advisable to redo all?
Is the 10nm suggestion applies to both collar & screw?
Also...how do you remove the shim if redoing the adjustment?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Check with a feeler gauge?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
new adjustment tool

John, with respect...this does not answer my questions regarding the use of the tool..
Old 09-29-2019, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

No place for humor, eh? Seemed like a logical answer though.

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 09-29-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Old 09-29-2019, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I am waiting for mine to be delivered...but...got to read and see video several times and I see the benefits.
please elaborate on how do I test on the 2nd valve adjustment next year, to see that one or more valve NEED or DO NOT NEED an adjustment?
Is it advisable to redo all?
Is the 10nm suggestion applies to both collar & screw?
Also...how do you remove the shim if redoing the adjustment?

First -- as you might expect, John is correct. To confirm whether you need to adjust a valve, you can check with a feeler. IF you cannot get the feeler in the gap, you need to adjust the valve because the valve is sitting deeper in the seat and the gap has closed. Other options are to use a dial gauge or simply re-set the valve or,simply, if you can feel no movement in the valve setting, you should re-set it.

The 10 Nm setting only applies to the collar and must be done twice -- once to preset the torque and take the slop out of the interface between the threads of the valve adjustment screw and the collar and the second time to lock the adjustment down.

There is no torque setting for the small cap head screw. Instead, the cap head screw that locks the collar in place requires tightening between a 3/4 and full turn after the cap head is finger tight in order to lock the collar to the valve adjustment screw.

Finally, to remove the shim if redoing the adjustment, you: 1) unscrew the cap head screw a full turn to unlock the collar from the valve adjustment screw. Leave the cap head screw in the collar however so you don't drop it. 2) Unscrew the collar a few turns from the valve adjustment screw. This will allow you to then remove the shim with your fingers. The shim will not "fall off" the valve adjustment screw because it is sized to hang on it. You will need to actually pull it off with your fingers. If you think you might drop it, put a magnet under your working area because the shim will stick to a magnet. You can also remove the collar entirely -- the shim will hang in place.

See pic.

Once the collar is removed, insert a new cap head screw that has the pre-applied hi temp threadlocker patch into the collar and begin re- install per the instructions supplied with the kit.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, PM me and I will give you my number to call and we can discuss.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Results of Valve Adjustment - '78SC

I installed the latest version of SNAPGAP on all 12 valves on my '78SC. The prior version, that I ran for over a year, did not have the threadlocker patch on the cap screw or the tear away shim handle. These are the results - except for the left side exhaust bank where the CAT prevented me placing the dial gauge in position. Didn't feel like taking it off.

Also took the opportunity to replace my oil with LiquiMoly products.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Seriously impressive!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: