Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   new valve adjustment tool (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1035838-new-valve-adjustment-tool.html)

wareaglescott 07-28-2019 11:06 AM

new valve adjustment tool

Has anyone seen this or better yet used it?

https://snapgap.us/

Looks pretty good to me. As a newbie to the air cooled world I have done my first valve adjustment and I think I did it just right but honestly dont know how to be sure. This tool looks pretty fool proof. Would be curious of others thoughts?

Thanks

Nditiz1 07-28-2019 12:15 PM

So while it looks fool proof. I think I would be done doing 2 valves ~.10 in the time it took.

RWebb 07-28-2019 12:20 PM

why can't people adjust valves these days??

Integral 07-28-2019 12:34 PM

interesting concept...not sure I'd be ok with leaving a shim there.

i just did my first valve adjustment w/ the Kirk tool and while it wasn't the easiest thing, doing it a second time would be a breeze.

not sure i'd make the switch, but it does look very easy.

yelcab1 07-28-2019 12:39 PM

Is that a better mousetrap or just a different more expensive mousetrap?

proporsche 07-28-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWebb (Post 10539117)

this....:)

wareaglescott 07-28-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Well in my case I have no prior experience with air cooled engines, live in a rural area with minimal car culture, know nobody else that has experience doing it locally to show me and basically have self taught myself all I know about working on cars from internet forums and youtube. I did adjust my valves with reference to the 101 projects book and technical article on Pelican and am reasonably confident I did it correctly. However when I see a product such as this it takes me from reasonably confident I am correct to a pretty full proof method that inspires more confidence in dead on accurate results. The $150 seems like good insurance for my particular case.

I think a lot here take for granted the experience they have gained through the years and everything isn't as easy for everyone else. I like the innovation.

LUFTKUL 07-28-2019 01:42 PM

Would the weight of the shim and collar affect the movement/balance of the rocker arm?

boyt911sc 07-28-2019 02:08 PM

Excellent product........

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareaglescott (Post 10539186)
Well in my case I have no prior experience with air cooled engines, live in a rural area with minimal car culture, know nobody else that has experience doing it locally to show me and basically have self taught myself all I know about working on cars from internet forums and youtube. I did adjust my valves with reference to the 101 projects book and technical article on Pelican and am reasonably confident I did it correctly. However when I see a product such as this it takes me from reasonably confident I am correct to a pretty full proof method that inspires more confidence in dead on accurate results. The $150 seems like good insurance for my particular case.

I think a lot here take for granted the experience they have gained through the years and everything isn't as easy for everyone else. I like the innovation.

This is a good example of an excellent product for the gullible customers! Buy and spend the money and prove the advantages. This will be another well engineered mouse-trap like the oil filter collar cooler.

Tony

wareaglescott 07-28-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyt911sc (Post 10539204)
This is a good example of an excellent product for the gullible customers! Buy and spend the money and prove the advantages. This will be another well engineered mouse-trap like the oil filter collar cooler.

Tony

But just to check I wasn't gullible when I sent you $450 last week for a WUR right? Hopefully you aren't taking advantage of me like this other product then. lol

boyt911sc 07-28-2019 03:05 PM

Clarification..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareaglescott (Post 10539228)
But just to check I wasn't gullible when I sent you $450 last week for a WUR right? Hopefully you aren't taking advantage of me like this other product then. lol

Scott,

Are you serious? I am in Europe right now and wonít allow me to open and check my PayPal account. Did you send me $450? This does not make sense because to me. Could you PM me your full name? I completed all the WUR commitments last week (3 days before my flight to London). What WUR were you suppose to get from me? Please advise. Thanks.

Tony

Canada Kev 07-28-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Because if they could it wouldn't create a market for someone to come up with a slick idea like this. Plus, it comes with a cool case... ;)

I applaud the person for developing this tool as it will help a lot of people work up the courage to dig into this job that can be quite intimidating for first timers. I'm all about people learning and creating that kind of bond with their cars. But for me, I can buy a lot of those little P213 tool feeler gauge refills for a hundred and fifty clams...

wareaglescott 07-28-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyt911sc (Post 10539247)
Scott,

Are you serious? I am in Europe right now and wonít allow me to open and check my PayPal account. Did you send me $450? This does not make sense because to me. Could you PM me your full name? I completed all the WUR commitments last week (3 days before my flight to London). What WUR were you suppose to get from me? Please advise. Thanks.

Tony

I received the WUR. Just didnt appreciate the gullible comment for potentially supporting another forum member selling a product coming from another forum member I bought a product from. Just making a little joke hence the LOL on the post.

boyt911sc 07-28-2019 03:32 PM

Refundable deposit........

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareaglescott (Post 10539228)

Scott,

I received a $450 refundable deposit 2 weeks ago from Scott Spencer and thatís probably you but not LAST WEEK. A family member living in Sydney, Australia passed away last Monday just 2 days before our trip to Europe. It was too late to cancel the trip to attend the funeral and decided to go Australia after our return trip. With all the distraction of this untimely incident, I failed to notify you of the tracking number of the package.

I donít have the receipt with me now to send the information. But I have it at home. I actually shipped 4 packages containing WUR and failed to send the tracking numbers. You should have received the package by now. Keep me posted.

Tony

wareaglescott 07-28-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyt911sc (Post 10539266)
Scott,

I received a $450 refundable deposit 2 weeks ago from Scott Spencer and thatís probably you but not LAST WEEK. A family member living in Sydney, Australia passed away last Monday just 2 days before our trip to Europe. It was too late to cancel the trip to attend the funeral and decided to go Australia after our return trip. With all the distraction of this untimely incident, I failed to notify you of the tracking number of the package.

I donít have the receipt with me now to send the information. But I have it at home. I actually shipped 4 packages containing WUR and failed to send the tracking numbers. You should have received the package by now. Keep me posted.

Tony

Tony I clearly stated in my last message "I received the WUR". The entire post when I originally replied to you was supposed to be a joking response in the first place as I didnt appreciate you implying only gullible buyers would be purchasing it. I would think someone who makes money doing business through the forum might be more supportive of others who are trying to bring innovative products to market instead of taking a shot at them. You have a lot of knowledge to offer the community. I would be glad to hear a technical reason why you feel this is a bad product. Clearly with your experience it is not a product you would need, but some of us less experienced guys might benefit from it or even experienced guys who are welcome to a new technique for accomplishing an old task. IF you have a legit concern on why this is a bad product please point it out.
The entire forum community concept is based on helping others. Lets not take shots at stuff just because it is not something we would personally need.

Nditiz1 07-28-2019 04:01 PM

Tony - Scott was making a joke, but the humor isn't perceived so well via the interwebs.

Scott - Tony is a good dude. Anyway, there is several valve adjustment how to videos on youtube making the valve adjustment look like a walk in the park. Check them out.

RWebb 07-28-2019 04:05 PM

warbeagle - Auburn is a rural area with minimal car culture?

all solid lifters are about the same for adjustment & youtube, etc. is readily available

anyway, Good Luck!

mo-mon 07-28-2019 04:24 PM

Scott, who is the forum member selling this product? I would like to ask him a few questions. No "contact us" option on the website.

acme911 07-28-2019 04:37 PM

Discussion thread on Rennlist:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1153883-snapgap-valve-adjustment-solution.html

Apparently they are working on an aluminum version that weighs close to the original jam nut.

ramonesfreak 07-28-2019 04:51 PM

I’m curious but more so about the stomski valve lash adjuster...might as well research that one too if considering something like this

There’s this one too
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche_911/ENGINE-Kirk_Engines_Valve_Adjustment/ENGINE-Kirk_Engines_Valve_Adjustment.htm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1H9WNRC_Yc