Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
If they really want your car, they're going to get it.
This. A real pro will get the car.

I keep my 911 locked in a locked garage most of the time. I recently drove it to Key West. I stayed in "good areas" and did not let it leave my sight much. Most important, I have agreed value insurance, so if the worst happens, I know just what I will be paid.

I like to drive and enjoy my car. It will not stay locked up in my garage.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post

exactly this is the reason for on-the-car devices "securing" it, "immobilizing" it.
The more gadgets you have, to more rises the chance to annoy a potencial thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
One device doesn't help anymore nowadays.

get a combo of this:

a) steering lock (make sure it works)
b) snap-off steering wheel
c) GPS tracker
d) alarm
e) ignition cutter secretly placed
f) pedal locking plates (*)
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 08-13-2019, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
All of those measures are fine, but time consuming. I am not going to carry around my steering wheel. It is just a car, and insured. I love my car, and would be devastated it it were stolen. After 24 years of ownership, my DNA is all over that car bumper to bumper. There are very few parts if any I have not touched.

I don't want to spend several minutes every time I get in or out of the car getting it secured, or ready to drive. I do my best to park it in safe places, but I will enjoy it like a car, not a irreplaceable rare diamond to be locked up at all times.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
preventing theft

1987 carrera
I got a battery disarming kit with a removable knob...on an 87, door opening and closing uses electrical power.
The procedure to protect the car is as follows: 1. pull the front hood lever and lock it with your key. 2. get out of car and lock it. 3. open the front hood and disarm the battery and remove the knob. 4. shut off the hood.
The car is now locked solid, the steering is locked as well, there is no electrical power.
In order to drive the car again, you need to use your key and open manually the passenger door (driver door will not work). once you are back in the car, you unlock hood lever and open hood and install back the disarming knob. It is not perfect but requires use of key and degree of difficulty in getting the hood open to arm the battery, release the steering wheel and start the engine.
if this is not good enough...car is insured for replacement value...
Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Functionista

As people have stated, you aren’t keeping your car if they want it bad enough. But delaying the inevitable makes them think about a gruesome death more as a possibility. Meaning: if they have to use a torch to cut your means of resistance? They will probably move on. Chain them to the ground!
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
1. Good (updated) insurance.
2. Be picky with a parking spot.
3. GPS Tracker.
4. Enjoy the car!

Alarms, club locks etc aren't totally useless but if a pro wants your car he'll get it.

So the best you can do is deter the amateur.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
all of this is fine but very much spending time to get ready to drive....with my 911-Lockshield™ the thief cannot remove the tumbler from the ignition ,therefore the car cannot be steered.No need to disconnect anything else.
Again if somebody want your 911 they will wait for the right moment and town it.....even for this if you park against the wall and wheels to one side it will be harder to load it up.In these days hardly anybody leaves theirs 911 without seeing it for too long on the corner of their eyes;-)
My prototype in my 911 in french Porsche magazine....

3 types of it

prototype in 1970 911

final product heat threaded in a owen paint booth
Old 08-13-2019, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Does anyone know of instructions on how to install a kill switch? I saw a post from 10 or 12 years ago that referenced instructions he found on Pelican to install one, but I have been unsuccessful finding the instructions...
Old 08-14-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
I worry more about door dings that someone stealing my car.
They can have it if they want. It's a money pit and I'm too attached to it to ever sell it.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 08-14-2019, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

i never lock the doors and I never put the roof in. there is likely more damage to be done getting into the car than anything they could ever steal out of it, and as mentioned if they want it bad enough they are taking it. the bigger problem is random joy riders , and i doubt any of them these days know how to hot wire something from the 70s . they will walk up to the car with their handheld anti immobilizer device and be like WTF ??
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
This. A real pro will get the car.

I keep my 911 locked in a locked garage most of the time. I recently drove it to Key West. I stayed in "good areas" and did not let it leave my sight much. Most important, I have agreed value insurance, so if the worst happens, I know just what I will be paid.

My 94 Speedster was stolen out of my locked garage.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
I worry more about door dings that someone stealing my car.
They can have it if they want. It's a money pit and I'm too attached to it to ever sell it.
I agree, I am more concerned with damage than a total loss.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Old 08-21-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 911 Targa View Post
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rod-stewart-mugged/
^^^^^
And then, again, you can't win them all............

If the bad guys want your car...........It's gone........

Gerry
That car (Rod's) is now owned by a friend of mine. He's doing a resto on it now.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: