Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Theft Prevention for vintage Air Cooled

I was wondering what owners of Vintage do for theft protection if they use their cars for frequent driving.

I considering having a Killswitch put in discreetly near the battery compartment as I do intend to be driving my 72 a lot more in the coming years once some work is done this summer.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
In 2019? I like this system.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Funny!

Jp-Oh is probably right. There have been threads on how so few people drive standard that it's a built in security feature in our Porsches.

I don't know anything about the world of international car theft, but I would think that the standard transmission and/or a kill switch would stop most theft attempts. The kill-switch is also a good fire safety measure.

You could also un-clip the distributor cap and take the rotor with you when you leave the car. I can't imagine that there are a lot of car thieves that know how to drive standard AND carry around a 911 rotor.

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
One device doesn't help anymore nowadays.

get a combo of this:

a) steering lock (make sure it works)
b) snap-off steering wheel
c) GPS tracker
d) alarm
e) ignition cutter secretly placed
f) pedal locking plates (*)

plus, for security at home /in garage
g) webcam ultrasonic alarm coverage
h) blocking pole at garage exit
i) and/or chain around drive shaft bolted to concret floor

(* a friend makes these [patented, copyrighted], just contact me if interested, he ships world wide

https://www.facebook.com/911garage

Last edited by Flojo; 08-05-2019 at 06:16 AM..
Old 08-05-2019, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

also keep in mind that even new 911s are not commonly stolen cars -- car thieves look for popular cars (think honda accord/etc.) that can be quickly stripped of parts that can be sold as commodities.

If a thief has a special request for a vintage longhand 911, you're likely looking at a VERY sophisticated operation that's not going to be thwarted by a kill switch/alarm and is going to flatbed their target straight into a container bound for a third world country.

I'd focus on minimizing "shiny objects" (e.g leather briefcases, iPhones, etc.) in the open that would attract a smash and grab
Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
most of the 911 get stolen from 1 hour parking and most of them are know to the thieves.They only wait for that hour if you go for coffee or snack.Serious thieves town the 911 on a town truck.

You use all of the above which makes is kinda uneasy to go with your steering wheel somewhere or you have to install the pedal board-those might be good in your home or where you park your 911.

Then you can use my 911-Lockshield™.I have sold many in Europe...

here is some info about it...

Featured Products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTsr7b4-dJY
Old 08-05-2019, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Flojo, you forgot to mention the armed guards, 24/7... ;-)

"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Flo & Ivan,

Seriously, is Porsche theft a bigger problem in your part of the world than here in the states? I've never talked to anyone here that felt the level of protection you guys suggest was necessary.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
well Robert..? back in the 1980`s and 90`s it was on daily basis in LA (i live there 27 years) that 911 got snatched every day.
Most of the time it was on special order from somebody overseas.
Once, one of my clients had his 930 stolen (that was late 1980) he had already a lockjack installed.LaPD found the car in Rosarito Mexico.When they got there with mexican federales they could not believe.The 930 was sitting in a living room in a house.The house had sliding wall with ramps inside.
here in Europe i have noticed this year 5x 911 stolen.Most of the time it is in SPA Belgium and a lot in Holland.But also in south France they are stolen plenty every year(lived there 10 years).
2 got stolen in England one of them recovered -it was a joy ride.
Most of the time, looks like the owners had absolutely nothing on for protection.Go figure......

Ivan
Old 08-05-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I agree with Darrin - thieves who are targeting a 911 are likely to use a flatbed or tow truck
Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

On a truck it goes... be smart about it, GPS tracker possibly but they can be jammed and detected.

If yours is a sporto that in itself will keep most from being able to drive it away :-)
Old 08-05-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Store car on jack stands with wheels removed, physics are then on your side.
Avoids tire flat spots for garage queens.

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
One device doesn't help anymore nowadays.

get a combo of this:

a) steering lock (make sure it works)
b) snap-off steering wheel
c) GPS tracker
d) alarm
e) ignition cutter secretly placed
f) pedal locking plates (*)

plus, for security at home /in garage
g) webcam ultrasonic alarm coverage
h) blocking pole at garage exit
i) and/or chain around drive shaft bolted to concret floor

(* a friend makes these [patented, copyrighted], just contact me if interested, he ships world wide

Id hate to be a real estate agent in your neighborhood.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I installed a Cyclops remotely operated kill switch for the fuel pump and a Lo Jack. I also have a steering wheel lock if I want to use it. Truth is if somebody wants to steal it using a truck, there's not much you can do no matter how many devices you have. Another thing is it's not hard to locate a Lo Jack in an older Porsche. There really aren't many places to try to hide them.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
I used agreed value insurance and a couple of hidden switches. Not a deterrent but at least I get well compensated.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
911 enthusiast

Garage

Cheap and effective.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 08-05-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
well Robert..? back in the 1980`s and 90`s it was on daily basis in LA (i live there 27 years) that 911 got snatched every day.
Most of the time it was on special order from somebody overseas.
Most of the time, looks like the owners had absolutely nothing on for protection.Go figure......

Ivan
Remember the movie...?

Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I do remember the movie.Charlie(and his brother Emilio) actually was our customer in the 1980 and for this movie our shop rented all equipment for the set...garage..

Ivan

we even talked to the crew about the scene when he broke the steering lock -we told them it was impossible;-)...too late to change the script;-)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I have a hidden switch in the trunk. The trunk can be locked and is pretty hard to get into when it is locked.

If I have the slightest inkling my car is in a sketchy environment, I will put something up front, or do something in the trunk, flip the switch, and then lock the trunk and the door. The car is not going to start with that switch flipped. They can always load it on a truck or have it towed, but that takes longer.

And agreed value insurance is the only real defense for a loss.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-05-2019, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: