Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV798 View Post

And yes oil changes are a pain without the drain plug; intend to change it one day.
Mine's the same as yours. I wouldn't bother. I think only about a cup full of oil comes out of there anyway, and there are two or three liters that don't come out of the oil lines and cooler. So it's neither here nor there.

I change my oil so often it doesn't get the chance to get dirty. Fresh oil is your cheapest mechanic
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

OP relief plug. Solved (gasket)
Oil leak from the chain box?

I suspect where the idler arm shaft is planted on the back wall of the chain box. A common fix is to clean the area, then seal it with a 2-part epoxy (e.g. JB Weld or equiv.) .... from the back side. I won't discuss how to access that area, but the fix is easier.

Sherwood
Old 08-13-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Bill - the nominal PITN with the sump plate with no drain plug is that you have to undo all those 10mm nuts, and it doesn't always drain nicely from a single place. His photo shows such a plate.

I know you know the sump has lots of oil in it to be drained come oil change time. Every once in a while someone learns that the hard way with too small a pan under it - the dry sump isn't dry after the engine has sat for a while.

Nobody pulls the oil pressure plugs as part of an oil change (though some actually try to drain/blow out the front oil cooler lines).

I'm kinda with those who think the leak is from higher up, as these oil pressure stuff plugs just don't leak. But the chain box leaks are too far away. Rocker shafts would be a likely place, although the exhausts take some doing to inspect given the oil sitting inside the exhaust valve cover.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post

I know you know the sump has lots of oil in it to be drained come oil change time. Every once in a while someone learns that the hard way with too small a pan under it - the dry sump isn't dry after the engine has sat for a while.
Neither of my two SC engines have had anything more than a cup full of oil in the sump. I guess it's because I always do a oil change with the oil HOT so it hasn't had time to drain back into the sump. Later SC's and of course, the Carreras, didn't even have a sump plate.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I have a slotted screw like that as a drain plug on the hull of my sailboat, it doesn't like to be removed at the end of the season. So I cut a "flat" 1/2 drill-bit a 'paddle -bit' and made a huge flat head screw driver out of it . I attach it to the clutch-makita cordless drill and adjust the clutch as I go so I don't strip it out. Use as little torque as possible increasing as I go. works like a charm.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: