Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CV Bolts!

Today I was at the Maryhill Loops Road in Washington (lots of fun) and had a pulsation in my gas pedal. When I removed the wheel on the side where the accelerator rod went by the wheel area I found one of my CV Bolts had come out and the moon plate was bent. The other bolt was so loose I could remove it with my fingers.

I flattened the plate and reinstalled the bolts and snugged them up as best I could. If you look at the picture at about 11 to 2 o’clock position (circled) you can see part of the gasket sticking out.

How badly is stuff buggered up?

I am guessing I need to remove the bolts from the CV Joint and replace the gasket. Can I do this without removing the entire 1/2 Axle?

Should I replace the moon plate? Anything else I need to do?

TIA
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 08-11-2019, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pack it up with lots of grease
Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
I would clean the crud off first.

Read this tome Reconstructing Constant Velocity (CV) Joints

(recent discussion Better 8mm CV bolt?)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I would clean the crud off first.

Read this tome Reconstructing Constant Velocity (CV) Joints

(recent discussion Better 8mm CV bolt?)
I did read those. not clear to me if I can just separate the inner CV from the transmission, clean the bolt holes and surfaces, replace with new gasket, bolts, washers and moon plates and move on.

FWIW, my boots and CV joints appear to be fine.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 08-11-2019, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
I would clean the crud off and inspect all the bolts.

Also, I don't think flattening the moon plate is advisable since ,if I understand the thread correctly, its function is to spread out the load evenly which means it needs to be flat and flush with the CV housing.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I would clean the crud off and inspect all the bolts.

Also, I don't think flattening the moon plate is advisable since ,if I understand the thread correctly, its function is to spread out the load evenly which means it needs to be flat and flush with the CV housing.
The other 2 bolts are tight.

The moon washer is very soft. It took little effort to flatten so I doubt is spreads the load between the two bolts but instead provides a non rotating surface for the schnoor washers to bite into and counteracts any rotational motion of the bolt (when it is torqued properly).

It is my intent to replace the gasket, washers and bolts with new. When I was 120 miles from home and laying in a driveway on a Sunday morning, this was not an option. I did what was needed to get me through the event and back home. Following the field repair, I drove the car in anger for several miles and rechecked everything to verify it would not fall apart. After another 120 miles, I checked again a found everything intact.

My question is whether I need to remove the entire axle to replace the questionable parts or can I merely pull the 4 bolts, separate the joint from the transmission and install the new parts.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 08-11-2019, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
The other 2 bolts are tight.

The moon washer is very soft. It took little effort to flatten so I doubt is spreads the load between the two bolts but instead provides a non rotating surface for the schnoor washers to bite into and counteracts any rotational motion of the bolt (when it is torqued properly).
I'll defer to Grady for the details (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/222537-reconstructing-constant-velocity-cv-joints-
2.html#post1923348
) I think we are both right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Clay View Post
The moon plates provide three functions: First they spread the
load so as to not deform the tin cover. Second they provide an
intermediate hardness material for the Schnorr washer to
properly bite into. Finally they connect two adjoining bolts to
prevent turning of a surface between the tin cover and the moon
plate.
The moon plates I ordered, but did not use, seem to be made of harder material than the softer "brass" ones.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
The short answer is that you do not have to open up the other end of the driveshaft.

However, an upgrade to the Nordlock washers would prevent this from happening again. To do that, of course, you'd remove and replace all the CV bolts as they're generally considered single use.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

make sure the bolts are long enough so that 2-3 threads stick out past the flange on the tranny side.
you can get new bolts in 5mm lengths at Fastenal. you have to buy a bag or 50 but its still cheaper than buying a full set from here. they also sell the washers.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
The short answer is that you do not have to open up the other end of the driveshaft.

However, an upgrade to the Nordlock washers would prevent this from happening again. To do that, of course, you'd remove and replace all the CV bolts as they're generally considered single use.
Single use? What makes you say that? I have not come across any Porsche shop manual that suggests single use on a G-body. Have I been missing this for the last 25 years?
Johan
Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

For bolts, nordlock and schoor washers, no better supplier than Belmetric. Matt and his staff are very knowledgeable!.

Those bolts are hardened, I don't think they're 'single use.'

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Single use? What makes you say that? I have not come across any Porsche shop manual that suggests single use on a G-body. Have I been missing this for the last 25 years?
Johan
Agreed given they are not stretch bolts as far as I know. But the heads do get buggered up so I reused them as exhaust system bolts, the length being just about right !
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
I believe the bolts are M8x50mm, 1.25mm thread, (partially threaded) "socket head" bolts. McMaster Carr has them in multiple flavors.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)

Last edited by tdw28210; 08-12-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Met with my mechanic this morning. Not a hard job and I decided to let him do it for me as the labor cost is minimal.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
on 75

the bolts are 48 mm if they stick out too far they will hit the banana arm.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Replacement boot flanges can vary in thickness, so it is not really helpful to suggest what bolt lengths to purchase. If you also factor in the moon plates and different types of washers, your bolt length could be off by close to 10mm.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Just a word to the wise: After reading this thread, I went out and checked my flange bolts, and HALF were either somewhat loose or not up to spec (60 lb/ft for the 10mm version)! FWIW, I dropped my engine this past winter, and therefore torqued them all to spec upon re-install (April). My car is an '87, so has the moon plates. I will be adding Schnorr washers when I can source them. Lesson learned: check your flange bolts often!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Replacement boot flanges can vary in thickness, so it is not really helpful to suggest what bolt lengths to purchase. If you also factor in the moon plates and different types of washers, your bolt length could be off by close to 10mm.
A very good point.

I just finished rebuilding two original CV joints and replaced two with new Lobros from Pelican.

I knew I was going to use Nordlocks, (with no moon plate) which are about 2mm thick. I measured the entire stack of parts and wound up using 55mm M8 bolts. If I had blindly used the 50mm suggested length I would have been significantly too short. I used the outer stub axle to measure overall length as the transmission side looks to have more room for longer bolts.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

not sure why 2 washers.
make sure the bolts are 12.9
those look a little on the short side.
make sure there are 2-3 threads sticking out past the flange.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
I did read those. not clear to me if I can just separate the inner CV from the transmission, clean the bolt holes and surfaces, replace with new gasket, bolts, washers and moon plates and move on.

FWIW, my boots and CV joints appear to be fine.
Reread the reconstructing thread. If you try to bolt up the CV without it being surgical clean you will experience another event. Also the bolt torque is critical, 33LBFT is close to the theoretical limit for a 8MM 12.9 bolt.
You got lucky, very lucky, that axle shaft whipping about unattached can cause thousands in damage to anything within its reach, or an accident. Reread/study/memorize the Reconstructing thread like your cars well being depends on it, it does. Everything discussed above is covered in depth, that thread could be a manual.
I learned the hard way as well.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-13-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: