Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Amateur

Garage
I'm all for louder exhaust noises when there's the power to back up the pop, bang and gurgle.

I bet a Toyota Camry has more hp than most cars owned here.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebscst View Post
If you want really aggressive I have GT Racing muffeld megaphones. Lots of gurgles and pops. I would post a video if I knew how.
I for one would love to here this set up as i,m planning to go with GT,s cookie cutter pipes as well.

please post a video
Old 10-08-2019, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Yes, please post a video!
Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Yes...more please. Getting popcorn.

Previous GF's - 986 Boxster S, 987 B Cayman, 981 B Cayman, 981 GT4
Old 10-11-2019, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

How do you post a video?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Mufflers are for pansies....both of the sides on my 3.6 feed into a sports cat...

Last edited by Joe Bob; 10-12-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Old 10-12-2019, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I'm all for louder exhaust noises when there's the power to back up the pop, bang and gurgle.
those noises tend to suggest lack of pow-pow

what you want is a nice burble

keeps your lambda in line
Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
My 3.2 sounds like a VW. And Always will.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
A 3.2 will never burble . A V8 will.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Yeah, sounds like it's only for the noise but this appears possible with the Motronic.

Quote:
“Pops and bangs, or burbles as the OEM call it (yes, it’s that common on production cars that even the manufacturers have a name for it!), is simply a calibration feature within the ECU where we set up a specifically targeted, very lean misfire once you lift off the throttle.”

Normally on an engine when you close the throttle, your fuel injectors don’t fire at all, removing all energy from your engine, allowing it to slow down: this is smooth, quiet, and safe, acting and sounding like all the sensible ‘normal’ cars we’re used to. No pops, no flames, no nothing.

Back to Stu’s words of wisdom… “If we want to create a burbling sound while the engine slows down, we need fuel. But, burning fuel will create some piston load too, slowing the rate the engine will decelerate on the overrun – so we need to move the energy away somehow to prevent that,” he explains. “To do this we need to do two things: retard the ignition timing to reducing the torque which allows the car to decelerate normally, and run a very lean air/fuel ratio so too much heat isn’t created,which could affect reliability.”

The heavily retarded ignition also means much of the combustion happens with the exhaust valves open (in fact within the exhaust system), and much of the fuel is ignited by the hot exhaust and/or catalytic converter, hence the burbles, pops and crackles you hear from your tailpipe.

DOES A POP AND BANG MAP HAVE ANY PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE?
No. This is done purely for the noises.
As it works in a similar manor to rally anti-lag systems, really extreme set-ups could, in theory, work like a mild anti-lag system on a turbocharged engine, helping keep your turbo up to speed. But in reality, the pops, bangs and burbles usually happen only for a few seconds after you let-off the gas, and it’s done purely for the sound.

https://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning-tech-guides/pop-and-bang-maps/

Last edited by pmax; 10-13-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Old 10-13-2019, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I had a misfire!!!! Car is fixed. Never want it again.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: