Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Sneak Peek - M&K Active Exhaust for Headers

Our Active Exhaust for SC/Carrera with stock heat exchangers worked out so well that we are designing a system for use with headers. It's based on the Street version of our mufflers having GT3 or S tailpipes. These are three chambered mufflers with the end chambers feeding a common center chamber which exits the GT3 or S tailpipes. Bypass valves are located on either end allowing the flow to be diverted from the common chamber. The result is a muffler that is about half as loud as a Sport muffler at idle and cruise and just screams when you get on it! The diverted exhaust exits two small tailpipes as seen in the picture. These tailpipes can be mounted as illustrated or turned down behind a full wrap valance so they are not seen. I've got some fine tuning to do but so far I love it! Only down side is it looks like this muffler will be too large to fit an early 911 chassis. I've got a couple guys with early cars that want to give it a try so we will see.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
That is pretty cool, Brian.
Personally I would choose to turn down and hide the two smaller pipes but that’s just me.
I really like the discrete until you step on it aspect.
My M&K dual in/out, mounted on SSI’s just sounds awesome at high revs.
At city speeds and even at idle, if is too loud for every day driving.
I loved it in the beginning, but that wore off pretty quickly.
Now I have one side capped off.

Any plans on making a regular, non gt3, active version in the future?
Any soundclips of what you are running now??
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
French member

Garage
Very cool, love the concept. I’ll be curious to know the hp difference with an OEM 2 in 1 out muffler.
Hear my rebuilt motor! Dyno
Old 08-18-2019, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Brian, this just might be the holy grail I’ve been waiting for.

I have a 1-in/2-out that I bought from Uwanna. We don’t know who made it. No markings on it anywhere. It sounds awesome on short drives and screams in the twisties. I always get compliments. But on longer drives it wears on me, even with earplugs.

I really like your first active exhaust design. The only negative was it was single in and I want to go to SSIs next. So just to confirm... will it work with SSIs? Or did you mean your headers?

Thanks!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Everything we build is designed to mate with factory parts. Our dual inlet mufflers will mate with early heat exchangers or SSI, anything that exits like OEM and uses OEM flanges. Same with our single inlet mufflers and headers. You need the ability to mix and match to get what YOU want, not just what we have.
Yes there is a Single Out Active Exhaust version in the works. First we have to finish the Street version of our Single Out mufflers then we can adapt it to be active like this one.
Any increase in HP is going to depend on what engine you have and what modifications have been done to the engine. The Single Inlet Active Exhaust for SC/Carrera relieves back pressure allowing the most HP possible while using our pre-muffler. This is 200whp on a stock '87 Carrera. The Dual Inlet version uses our Motorsport design in the outer chambers combined with the Street design center chamber. Our motorsport muffler will support 275hp+ which is what you have when the valves are open. This is also why this muffler is a little louder than our Street series mufflers at idle and cruise.
I do plan to get some audio of this, was too excited when I first fired it up and forgot to film it. I really wanted to hear what it sounded like opened up! Like the Single In AE you can jab the throttle and open the valves in neutral as the engine loses vacuum. I'll get a clip of that.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Bumping this in hopes of getting a sound clip.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: