Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!

Garage

A lift in a well let garage is a major one for me.

This is yesterday, during an engine oil and transmission oil change.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-23-2019, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, thats cool. Maybe in my next house I will have more garage space. Though I would never paint my car my self so I am not sure I would have need for such cool toys.

Last edited by Geronimo; 08-23-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Great point on the lighting.

You can buy 4 foot long LED shop lights at Costco for $20 each. They are awesome for the money.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I love the scissor lift in a well. I am not sure between a movable 2 post or a well set up.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
a lift, a scissor if you dont have the height, brakes etc are a snap.
if you put in the scissor lift recess it in the floor if you can,, I did not do that and have to use some 2x12"s and a small ramp to get the height you need.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

AMEX card...
Sorry, couldn't help myself. In all seriousness though, when I rebuilt my engine a few years ago I wish I'd been able to afford a lift. Would have been awesome when I replaced all the ac components. Ever since I've had many moments where I really wish I had one, in particular since I'm getting up there in age and knees, joints aren't what they used to be.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten

Last edited by 88911coupe; 08-23-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Old 08-23-2019, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
My lift is in a pit. I can drop the lift all the way down, and put the taller lift pads that come with the lift in place, and put a piece of 1/2 plywood over the pit, and it is essentially gone. I park my El Camino in that spot for most of the time. The driveway configuration makes it easier to back in.

The plywood is also really handy for putting the lawn mower on, raise the lift, and work on a mower or whatever at standing height.

I find myself putting my cars on the lift even for electrical work. It is sooo nice to not bend over or kneel down to be even waxing the car. I use my lift a lot and love it.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Those Milwaukee cordless ratchets are great. I have an I-R air ratchet that I almost never used. Loud, air tool oil discharge, inconvenient. I use the Milwaukee all the time.

These brake piston spreaders are really useful too: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Quick-Quad-Spreader/dp/B005GLQCKA

Mark
Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Odds and ends

If you have a lift, an adjustable height drain can is helpful in keeping oil off the floor, an adjustable support stand is a third hand. I haven't put them in yet, a retractable reel for electric outlet/light and another for air.
Roll around tool boxes save a lot of steps back to the bench or box for the next,(right), sized wrench. Another nice to have item is a roll around table/tray for parts/tools/supplies - lock tight, brake clean, paper towel holder. Again a big step saver.
Have a couple of tool boxes, one for the metric tools, auto stuff, another for inch tools, construction stuff, (semi retired general contractor).
A clean up sink is handy, but having a septic system doesn't like a lot of the stuff we use.
A tight lidded metal trash cans for combustibles, recycleables, another for general trash.
I really like socket trays with numbered posts to keep sockets organized and available. Wrench racks save a fair amount of time rooting around in a drawer, looking for the right wrench.
Lastly, a chair with arms and a "beverage holder", to take a load off/rest - even a cheapie folding camp chair. Gravity does get stronger as we age.
+1 for the lift, Milwaukee 12 and 18 volt cordless tools, especially the multi-tool, Hackzall, die grinder and side head grinder.

Resting,
chris
Old 08-24-2019, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Definitely a lift and good lighting. I’ve enjoyed my old Harbor Freight parts washer (and even have a good supply of Stoddard solvent for it). Cordless power tools and trouble lights are nice as well.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 08-24-2019, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Some great ideas on this thread. Can someone recommend a good small parts cleaner?
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti View Post
Those Milwaukee cordless ratchets are great. I have an I-R air ratchet that I almost never used. Loud, air tool oil discharge, inconvenient. I use the Milwaukee all the time.

These brake piston spreaders are really useful too: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29100-Quick-Quad-Spreader/dp/B005GLQCKA

Mark
I'm already on the Ryobi battery system, or I'd have a Milwaukee...

we need a cordless ratchet thread...
Old 08-24-2019, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Even a Bad day is good

Garage
milwaukee

i have the 2/3" cordless rachet and use it constantly... i highly recommend it.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Love my harbor freight scissor lift
Old 08-25-2019, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Harpo, how does it compare to some of the others like bend pak? Looks pretty good for the money and get it pretty high.

The two big items I plan on this spring are a wall of cabinets (new age I think) and a lift.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
I also have the new age cabinets. The harbor freight lift weighs about 900 lbs very sturdy with lots of good welds. I wish I had bought it 10 years ago.

David
Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Daym David, I need to check out your garage... sound like what I am looking to do.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Wow. There isn't anything here I don't think I have.

A small cordless screwdriver is very handy. I even put sockets on it.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 08-27-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: