Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New to me 1974 911 with a couple questions

Hello everyone. I have owned several modern 911's and recently a couple 993's. A few weeks ago I purchased a 1974 911 that I bought from a seller on Pelican and am looking for some advice as I delve more into the older air cooled cars.

It has a rebuilt Euro spec 3.0 SC engine, rebuilt 915 transmission/clutch, rebuilt suspension, and recently redone interior. The car was originally brown, but had a great color change to Dove Gray, which looks fantastic. The car has the original 15" Fuchs which look pretty good, but I am considering changing the wheels as I need to get new tires.

I have done searches on Pelican and RL regarding different Fuchs and Fuchs repro wheels, in particular the Linea Corse Fox wheels by Rota. Does anyone know if these 17" wheels will fit my 1974? Are there dimensional differences between my body and an SC body that would prevent me from running them? It looks like they should fit SC's/Carrera's fine, but I am not sure about earlier 911's. From my little research it seems that this are a bit 'controversial' being a cast, cheaper wheel rather than a nice forged wheel. This car will just be for driving around town and no track use.

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/ind...a6ba7b9cad54b6

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on replacement seats? My car has some black 993 seats in it, but I am leaning towards some "Vintage Seats" or "GTS Classic Seats"?

VintageSeats.com

https://www.classiccarseats.com/

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Love that car and spoke with the PO. It’s yours now, but please don’t put 17s on it.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I’m not sure Vintage Seats is still around. Check out BF Torino or D’Eser also.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Beautiful! Love that Dove Gray!~

Don't you dare put 17" wheels on this car. The current wheel / tire setup is perfect. Looks like 15X7 on back and 15X6 Fuchs up front. What are the tire sizes? I actually want to copy this for my 2nd set of wheels.

Your narrow body midyear has the same dimensions for wheels and tires as the early longhood (non flared / rs / st) cars. It is more narrow in back than a Carrera of the same year, an SC or an 84-89 carrera.

Taller wheels look out of place on a midyear. If you have to go bigger, go with 16" max. Of course, it's your car, you can do whatever you like, but the trend that I admire now is being more "Period correct" - which a big part of that is the right wheel / tire combo.

Definitely kill the seats and if it were my car I would put 74 all black Sports seats in. There have been a few on the classifieds. Congrats on a beautiful car.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads

Last edited by 75 911s; 08-23-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Appreciate the advice as will my wife if it keeps me from spending more $$$!

I think ya’ll are right about the wheel size. My thought was if I need to get new tires, I might as well check out wheel options as well.

I’ll hit up the classifieds in regards to the seats. Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Beautiful! Love that Dove Gray!~

Don't you dare put 17" wheels on this car. The current wheel / tire setup is perfect. Looks like 15X7 on back and 15X6 Fuchs up front. What are the tire sizes? I actually want to copy this for my 2nd set of wheels.

Your narrow body midyear has the same dimensions for wheels and tires as the early longhood (non flared / rs / st) cars. It is more narrow in back than a Carrera of the same year, an SC or an 84-89 carrera.

Taller wheels look out of place on a midyear. If you have to go bigger, go with 16" max. Of course, it's your car, you can do whatever you like, but the trend that I admire now is being more "Period correct" - which a big part of that is the right wheel / tire combo.

Definitely kill the seats and if it were my car I would put 74 all black Sports seats in. There have been a few on the classifieds. Congrats on a beautiful car.
Tires are 205/60/15 all around. Also, any recommendations on new tires?
Old 08-23-2019, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It seems odd that your tires would be the same size front and back. It's a little hard to tell, but your rims look deeper in the back than the front. I'd expect to see a wider tire size in back.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

not so much. on my ‘76 i run 6 & 7 x 15’s with 205/55-15’s front and and back. really happy with the fit...
Old 08-23-2019, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

^^^Beautiful!

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 08-23-2019, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I’ll fourth on leaving the wheels alone. Can’t really get better than that. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I also agree with the suggestion of 74-80 style factory Recaro sport seats.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Titanium User

I have some 74-80 sports in new black leather that would look perfect in that. let me know if you're interested and I can get you some photos.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Valance and fogs look cool currently but If it were my car I would put the correct year valance and fog style
Old 08-23-2019, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Congrats Great looking car i was amazed it hung around for more than a day.
I'd look for some period correct Recaro LX which would look great and in terms of cost are the wife friendly option, or some factory 74-80 sport seats, a much less cost friendly option.
Please do not put 17" wheels on the car. It looks perfectly proportioned as is.
Lastly can't believe i actually agree with something Mr BS mentioned. But the current Carrera lower valance looks good, I think it would look cleaner if you could source a era correct Euro one with no fog lights or hardware holes. (The fogs are pretty much useless by modern standards) The cars so clean and a really special color, congrats again
Old 08-24-2019, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'll fifth leaving it as is. When I saw it for sale, I thought it was a great car and a great buy. Nice purchase! If wanting to go to 16s here is an example for you. Also, I just put new skins on, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 205/55R16 all around even with the larger rear (16x7). Tires feel great.

Last edited by Nditiz1; 08-24-2019 at 03:37 AM..
Old 08-24-2019, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Great car. I have a '74 also narrow body. This is a friends '73 which is a narrow body also. If you want to put the biggest tire setup on their which would look great you can get 15x7's up front with 225/50/15's and 15x8's in the rear (take a 15x7 get the wheel split and add 1" to backside of it and you can run 225/50/17's in the rear too. You will need to add some negative camber to front and the back should fit without a problem. You may need to roll the fenders ever so slightly. It's a really nice setup.

Bottom picture is 225/50/15 Toyo RA1

Old 08-25-2019, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I like the splitting the 8" wheel and moving the 1" inside idea as described by CBA above.

I also run a 225/50 15 on my narrow body on a 15X7 Maxilite 7R style wheel (49 ET with 18mm spacer) It requires longer wheel studs (72mm)

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 08-25-2019, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Another option is the 84 sport seat. It is not "correct" but imho, it is very very close and significantly less money and perhaps more available.
I had classic 9 champagne, skins installed, total bill, including cores, shipped from the other coast, was right at $3000. Sorry, no pics, seats are wrapped up on a high shelf to keep critters off while the mechanical refresh is underway.

I had a little tire rubbing a couple of inches up on the left rear fender with the ubiquitous pirelli 205/60-15, stock 6 inch Fuchs, alignment, with a straight body, so, be aware that there is a bit of variability in the metal a bit more camber would have fixed it, but my dad kept it "stock".

Beautiful color, bet it goes like stink with the 3.0.
chris

Last edited by chrismorse; 08-25-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Old 08-25-2019, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

another thought, how much rubber do you need on a NB car? mine has a 3.2 running 205's, reckon i have 220ish HP. the car weighs in a little under 2400 lbs and i have all the rubber i need. it's hard to break traction under throttle and braking and cornering are ace. so, i'm of the mind that any more rubber than that is an aesthetic decision, not performance, for a street car...
Old 08-25-2019, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Functionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
another thought, how much rubber do you need on a NB car? mine has a 3.2 running 205's, reckon i have 220ish HP. the car weighs in a little under 2400 lbs and i have all the rubber i need. it's hard to break traction under throttle and braking and cornering are ace. so, i'm of the mind that any more rubber than that is an aesthetic decision, not performance, for a street car...
Agree totally. Other negatives are increased drag, loss of agile steering, wheel offset all off for which the entire suspension was designed around, heavier wheel and tire set gives up to 20 ft lbs away on an already low torque engine, etc.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I love your car. Congrats on the acquisition. I have been considering a change to Dove Grey for my project 911.

I agree with others that the 15's look great on your car. early SC fuchs should fit on there, which would be 16x6 (205/55r16) and 16x7 (225/50r16). You could go wider, I'm told, if you find a set of 944 turbo fuchs, which give you 16x8's for the rear with a different offset than the 911 fuchs. If you go either route, try to stick with tires with narrower tread. Although you might think all 225's are the same width (225MM), there is significant variation from one type of tire to another. Tire Rack is a good source, and they list the shoulder widths of each tire.
'83 GL650 rat bike
'17 F150
Old 08-25-2019, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: