Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Black color options

In the process of repainting my turbo look as part of my restoration.
I decided to go with black and all black Fuchs from braid. I'm having trouble finding info about black paint codes. I've seen really nice nonmetallic blacks and am wondering if that's what came on the car stock? Is metallic preferred?

Anytime i google metallic vs nonmetallic black it gives me results for grey which is the color i was considering prior. Any help, input, pics etc of black cars are welcome.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My 86 coupe is non-metallic black, paint code L700. I bought and painted a deck lid with paint from my local auto paint store and it matched perfectly. My opinion, non-metallic looks much better.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Rennbow searchable Porsche Color Database:

https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki
Old 08-24-2019, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
L700 for mine too.
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 08-24-2019, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
L700, non metallic

32C Member #41

Last edited by Geronimo '74; 08-24-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Typically black is black; there are no shades of black. You can't tint black because, well, it's black. If there were shades of it, it would be grey, not black.

I suppose one could add some metallic to the black, but then would it really be black?

I do love a black car when it's shiny and clean. Metallic "black" also looks ok, but to me it's dark metallic grey.

As Cevan says, non-metallic looks better.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

a.k.a. G-man

Garage
I agree.
Non metallic black looks killer.
Gets dirty quickly though.
32C Member #41

Old 08-24-2019, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
Typically black is black; there are no shades of black. You can't tint black because, well, it's black. If there were shades of it, it would be grey, not black.

I suppose one could add some metallic to the black, but then would it really be black?

I do love a black car when it's shiny and clean. Metallic "black" also looks ok, but to me it's dark metallic grey.

As Cevan says, non-metallic looks better.
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic. Black is definitely not just black. Almost every black used on a production vehicle has yellow, red, blue, white, etc toners in them. You can put a very small amount of pearl and have a color that completely appears black but on close inspection you can see the pearl flakes. OP what do you want? Original? Custom? Lexus black which is almost only one toner thatís essentially the darkest, richest, black toner will be your purest black based off of an oem color
Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I know what you mean about single stage black looking great.

But there is a non-metalic black car around that has a load of clear coat over black and it, it kinda has a luminescence about it.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic. Black is definitely not just black. Almost every black used on a production vehicle has yellow, red, blue, white, etc toners in them. You can put a very small amount of pearl and have a color that completely appears black but on close inspection you can see the pearl flakes. OP what do you want? Original? Custom? Lexus black which is almost only one toner that’s essentially the darkest, richest, black toner will be your purest black based off of an oem color
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. But you kinda made my point in your sentence I bolded above. Using only one toner or base colour of black would be pure black. Any other additional tinters would make it less pure, which by definition would not be black but a very dark, black-like shade of grey.

If you want to get all sciency and technical (oops, sorry, my INTP is showing...), black is the result of the absence or complete absorption of visible light. So with that description, the blackest black automotive paint which has no added colour tints, is still not really black. To get close to that, one would have to use a carbon nano-tube coating like Vantablack which absorbs something like 99.95% of all visible light. It turns anything covered with it into a visual black hole. Hmmm... I wonder how well it would work against police speed radar, which isn't in the visual spectrum, but still, now I'm curious...

But in the spirit of providing some actual useful information to the OP, I think the non-metallic black code is L700 as was indicated by a couple others. And in my opinion the solid non-metallic looks better than a metallic, regardless of the "shade" of black one chooses. Just gotta keep it clean.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. But you kinda made my point in your sentence I bolded above. Using only one toner or base colour of black would be pure black. Any other additional tinters would make it less pure, which by definition would not be black but a very dark, black-like shade of grey.

If you want to get all sciency and technical (oops, sorry, my INTP is showing...), black is the result of the absence or complete absorption of visible light. So with that description, the blackest black automotive paint which has no added colour tints, is still not really black. To get close to that, one would have to use a carbon nano-tube coating like Vantablack which absorbs something like 99.95% of all visible light. It turns anything covered with it into a visual black hole. Hmmm... I wonder how well it would work against police speed radar, which isn't in the visual spectrum, but still, now I'm curious...

But in the spirit of providing some actual useful information to the OP, I think the non-metallic black code is L700 as was indicated by a couple others. And in my opinion the solid non-metallic looks better than a metallic, regardless of the "shade" of black one chooses. Just gotta keep it clean.
That would be interesting but not likely very elegant lol. Sort of a black blob. To add to what I was saying previously and to address some of what you said, most paint manufacturers have 2-3 different black toners usually only 1 being super clean. L700 is super dirty FYI, has white, red and one of the less clean black toners

Last edited by nathanbs; 08-24-2019 at 11:38 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys. I found another thread that recommended non metallic black as well, like this thread seems to be doing. I really just want something that looks great and i think it's an original color, probably the L700 that I'm after. I've seen tons of black 911s and they could look terrible or stunning, I suppose mostly due to them being clean or not.

Here's a video of what I would like the car to look like

https://youtu.be/ffkWYTgYpaI

It's a REALLY clean black. I'm guessing it's a stock color for the '86 year so L700 as well. Just polished up and looking nice.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Also say I'm going with the L700 color code... Does the paint shop need any further info/numbers or is it strictly called L700? Any advice on paint product/quality or processes like clear coating and such?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
If you are going single stage there is no clear coat. That's up to you how you intend to move forward.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

In my instance, paint shop only needed Porsche and the code, L700.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: