Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Alignment/tires/ride height situation

Could use some advice.

While examining my SC on the lift today it was noted that I am in serious need of tires, dry rotting fronts, almost dry rotting rears and a buried nail in at least 2 of them...

Pretty sure I'm going with Dunlop 8000 not going to revive that debate, but my wrench noted that the current tread wear indicates that an alignment is probably in order as well.

The service its in for right now is coming in under budget by around $250-500 and I'm not desperate to get it back as I have another car and am going to be travelling for business next week, so while its there he offered to lower it to European specs for around $250, then send it over to a local european car tire expert for tires ($525 installed) and an alignment for $135...

Is the lowering worth the extra expense for a non-racer, will it sacrifice comfort in a major way? If I'm aligning it anyway is this a good spend? TIA
Adam
Old 03-26-2003, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Having lowered my car myself (and aligned it on a few occasions), I would say that $250 to lower it is a relative bargain. It won't affect ride comfort - it actually places the suspension in the position where Porsche intended it in the first place. US cars were essentially "raised" to help meet 5 mph bumper regulation, IIRC. If you lower it, it will have to be re-aligned, so go ahead and figure on that, too.

I say go for it....but it's not my money... :>)

Mike
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 03-26-2003, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Lowering the car is worth it...
930 Factory Tail & decklid 930 Steering wheel
17" Kinesis Supercups, Bilsteins, SS Brakelines
Turbo Tierods Alpine/MB Quart/(2)JL Audio 10"
Old 03-26-2003, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you have it lowered be sure to have the thick spacer removed from the top of the front shocks to allow for full shock travel. Just remove the 1 nut in the trunck area that holds the shock, lower the shock, remove the spacer, and reinstall.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: