Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

87 911 headlight switch

My switch burnt so I was replacing it, all wires were pulled before I could document their location. Slowly I was putting them back, had two left over that i couldnít find in the schematics. One is a thicker blue and black and the other is grey with a white stripe. The black and blue one caused the trouble. It is grounded somewhere. I canít find in the book where that wire goes to or find it in the book. I could use some help.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The thicker Black/blue is one of the three instrument/dash light cables. This is an unfused circuit ! You should insert an inline fuse between terminal 58a and the three black/blue wires, it will protect your wiring AND your (expensive) light switch.

The grey/white wire (GR/WS in German on the diagram) appears to go to either terminal 57 OR/AND (?) terminal N depending on option code M487 which is 'connection for fog lamp with parking light'.
I do not find the diagram conclusive on the exact connection here, but you can try out both safely I guess.

See also this excellent thread (I especially like the post nbr 8 with the exact connections the light switch makes) : Help with headlamp switch wiring please!
Old 08-30-2019, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for responding, I did do the fuse fix, to the thin black and blue wire however the thicker one when attached, blows the fuse. I traced it to the firewall but lost it in the wiring harnesses. Do you know where it goes once it leaves the light switch?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Switch

Have a look at my post #4837.

Best,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 08-30-2019, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 911 Targa View Post
Have a look at my post #4837.

Best,

Gerry
Can you link it, I canít seem to find post #4837. Or tell me in which thread.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So this is what I found. The thicker blue/black wire was causing a direct short; constantly blowing my in line fuse. I suspected the central locking system. I jumped a power lead to the brake lights (another problem). The light at the central locking system flickered and looked dim, it’s ten o’clock pm here. Don’t think I would have found it during the daylight hours. Long story short, the dash lights turned on as there wasn’t a short on the blue/black wire. Now to figure out why my brake lights turn on as parking lights. I think the problems are related. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
The link to the wiring diagram : http://www.911c1.de/porsche/Schaltplaene/plaene1-10_carrera_32.pdf

As you can see, it goes to a lot of places via junction 18 and 7 ...
Old 08-31-2019, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Common short area is the hood light.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 09-01-2019, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Does your car have relays fitted to take the load off the light switch? The switch takes the full current without relays. If you don't have them now is the time to fit them. Also I've seen some successful attempts on this forum at repairing burnt switches; they can be taken apart.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM_ View Post
The link to the wiring diagram : http://www.911c1.de/porsche/Schaltplaene/plaene1-10_carrera_32.pdf

As you can see, it goes to a lot of places via junction 18 and 7 ...
Wholly Molly it does go many places. Now Iím wishing I took German instead of French. Thank you this will help tremendously.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
Common short area is the hood light.
Iím just now remembering that I disconnected that some time ago. Iíll check my tape job. I just also remembered that I reconnected it after installing an led bulb. But Iíll go ahead and check the connection.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV798 View Post
Does your car have relays fitted to take the load off the light switch? The switch takes the full current without relays. If you don't have them now is the time to fit them. Also I've seen some successful attempts on this forum at repairing burnt switches; they can be taken apart.
I installed relays for the headlights and an in-line fuse for the dash lights some time ago. That was before I went through the entire car and replaced all bulbs with LEDs. Currently draw almost nonexistent.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

New problem is the charging system, took a five hour trip and replace the battery twice. Both times the brand new batteries went completely dead. I did have the AC on. Had alternator checked after both battery replacements. They said it (alternator) was working well so they thought it was the battery both times (two different locations of the same auto parts store). I can hear when the alternator goes under load then cuts off. Voltage rises then falls. I checked it when I got home today. New regulator coming.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democreature View Post
Can you link it, I canít seem to find post #4837. Or tell me in which thread.
Thanks

^^^^^
Switch wiring as per our M/Y 86.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 09-02-2019, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Please help, headlight switch issue

Hi, I am (confused).
The headlight switch has 3 positions, off, parking, and headlight.
If the power comes off the headlight switch on terminal 58L as shown in the previous post, it looks like it would go to the left parking light and the left headlight at the same time.
BESIDES THE TURN SIGNAL STALK, how can you have just the parking lights on if the headlights get power when the parking lights get power (58L)?
Thanks in advance !!!
By the way, my car is an '84 Euro coupe.
'85 930/911 turbo: Blk/Blk, LSD, Sport Seats, enjoyed 17 great years
'71 911S: enjoyed 11 great years
Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

headlight switch power for headlights and parking lights

Can anyone help me with this?
How can only the parking circuit light up if the headlights get power at the same time?
I hope I'm explaining my question well.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to NathanR
@17yrs

You may want to start a new thread.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks, thats a good idea and I will do that if I can't figure it out.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Headlight switch

85 911 - headlights and taillights on all the time unless battery power is shut off. Bas switch, or something else. Makes no difference what position the switch is in.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17yrsWith930 View Post
Hi, I am (confused).
The headlight switch has 3 positions, off, parking, and headlight.
If the power comes off the headlight switch on terminal 58L as shown in the previous post, it looks like it would go to the left parking light and the left headlight at the same time.
BESIDES THE TURN SIGNAL STALK, how can you have just the parking lights on if the headlights get power when the parking lights get power (58L)?
Thanks in advance !!!
By the way, my car is an '84 Euro coupe.
I think it's a question of semantics for parking mode. For US cars the front parking lights come on (located in the indicators in the front bumper). For RoW cars a separate bulb within the headlamps comes on in city mode. The photo is covering both variants.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: