Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Newbie

1980 SC 5 years project

Hi Everyone, long time reader (you guys are amazing )posting the 1st time now that I finally got my car today to start my 5 years project. I dont have a "cool story", just someone who had been dreaming to own a classic Porsche but cant afford one also wanted a car that I dont scare to drive and not for show ;most importantly - able to kind of work on it as a hobby and take my mind of things. Yes, another backdate project

Project Heavy Metal and Cheap Long Hood had been my inspration. The skill and workmanship of Johnny042 and cnielsen have just insane. I dont have that kind of skill. Infact, All I knew was i wanted pre 73 porsche but dont know much about the nuts and bolts until reading on the forum daily, bought few books and make notes for the past few years.

For sure I will have a lot of question down the road for the fellow members here, some might be very stupid one... I would like to take this opportunity to thank you you all in advance for your advise for years to come.

Will keep this short dont want bore you all.

Eddie

Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Eddie - welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride! We're looking forward to following your progress and see what the build process looks like! Let us know if you have any questions and keep the updates coming!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck on the build. I am in a similar journey with my car. (81SC)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Newbie

Thanks!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

That car looks pretty cool as is! Love the white cars
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Cool ride ! I love the GPwhite
Like you I didn’t know anything about the Porsche’s 2 years ago but I managed to learn everything I wanted ‘just in time’ thanks to this forum !
Good luck with your project!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed metal View Post
I love it just the way it is. If it were mine, I wouldn't touch a thing. It looks like it's been in a time capsule and I hope you could keep it that way.

Cheers,
Joe
87 Carrera
Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed metal View Post
I like the white also! Welcome aboard!

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
It's your car but i do agree with the others about rethinking your project.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations on the purchase!

It's hard to tell from just one picture, but that looks like a nice solid SC. Any more pics? Details about the car?

And by all means, PM'ing me is fine, but we all stand to learn more and contribute better if we can follow along on this thread.

I understand the anti-backdate sentiments that you are hearing from other members. They aren't wrong. Certainly any year of air cooled car is special in its own way. To "cut up" a perfectly nice SC is not something that should be taken lightly.

My advice on the decision to backdate or not will always come down to one piece of advice - and the best way is to put it frankly - is the car going to be better when you are done with it?

The most extreme example of this is a Singer. It's a worthy sacrifice, to take a ratty old 964 and give it new life as a $350,000 Supercar. Nobody questions the loss of the donor, and Porsche made quite a few of them, as they did SC's.

As long as the same is true of a more modest project - if you take the time and spend the dollars to do it right, then by all means go for it! You've obviously pointed out some nice examples (if I do say so myself! - having my car listed beside Chris's is quite a compliment, thank-you!) so if that is the vision you are having, by all means you are on the right track.

Again, congrats!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sake View Post
Hi Everyone, long time reader (you guys are amazing )posting the 1st time now that I finally got my car today to start my 5 years project. I dont have a "cool story", just someone who had been dreaming to own a classic Porsche but cant afford one also wanted a car that I dont scare to drive and not for show ;most importantly - able to kind of work on it as a hobby and take my mind of things. Yes, another backdate project

Project Heavy Metal and Cheap Long Hood had been my inspration. The skill and workmanship of Johnny042 and cnielsen have just insane. I dont have that kind of skill. Infact, All I knew was i wanted pre 73 porsche but dont know much about the nuts and bolts until reading on the forum daily, bought few books and make notes for the past few years.

For sure I will have a lot of question down the road for the fellow members here, some might be very stupid one... I would like to take this opportunity to thank you you all in advance for your advise for years to come.
Congratulations! From the limited info and the pic in your first post, it looks like a great entry into 911 ownership.

I'm inclined to agree with some of the previous post, but understand everyone has their own idea as to what the ideal owner experience is. As you say it has been your dream to own a classic Porsche, which you now do, so that first step has been accomplished. You also state that you want something that can be driven. Assuming the one you just brought home is in reasonable running condition, you have that too.

Now for the backdate consideration; I'm inclined to say this, "Drive it for a year first". you state you want a driver and "not for show'. Well that is what you currently have. you can't tell the difference from behind the steering wheel, and "not for show" precludes the cosmetic alteration that will make it not drive-able for "5 years".

You also mention not being able to afford it, so I would encourage you to drive it for a while to determine what the car needs mechanically and the cost of ownership/operating cost, before you start creating unnecessary costs.

Don't worry about worry about not having anything to do to do it as a distraction from your daily life, there will be more than enough to keep you busy without the in-depth body modifications.

After your first year of owning, driving and maintaining your 911, then consider what you want from it long term. You will at that time have a much better understanding of your capabilities, the time and cost necessary to get what you want from this car.
If you still feel the need to Backdate it, by all means go for it. Your learning experience of the first year of owner ship will have only pushed your schedule by 20% and that is assuming you original estimate of 5 years doesn't get extended. Everything i do always seems to take longer than I think it should.

In the mean time I look forward to seeing more details on your car. Post some more pics including engine bay and interior when you get a chance. It's always fun to see what others have and are doing.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FJ55 View Post
Congratulations! From the limited info and the pic in your first post, it looks like a great entry into 911 ownership.

I'm inclined to agree with some of the previous post, but understand everyone has their own idea as to what the ideal owner experience is. As you say it has been your dream to own a classic Porsche, which you now do, so that first step has been accomplished. You also state that you want something that can be driven. Assuming the one you just brought home is in reasonable running condition, you have that too.

Now for the backdate consideration; I'm inclined to say this, "Drive it for a year first". you state you want a driver and "not for show'. Well that is what you currently have. you can't tell the difference from behind the steering wheel, and "not for show" precludes the cosmetic alteration that will make it not drive-able for "5 years".

You also mention not being able to afford it, so I would encourage you to drive it for a while to determine what the car needs mechanically and the cost of ownership/operating cost, before you start creating unnecessary costs.

Don't worry about worry about not having anything to do to do it as a distraction from your daily life, there will be more than enough to keep you busy without the in-depth body modifications.

After your first year of owning, driving and maintaining your 911, then consider what you want from it long term. You will at that time have a much better understanding of your capabilities, the time and cost necessary to get what you want from this car.
If you still feel the need to Backdate it, by all means go for it. Your learning experience of the first year of owner ship will have only pushed your schedule by 20% and that is assuming you original estimate of 5 years doesn't get extended. Everything i do always seems to take longer than I think it should.

In the mean time I look forward to seeing more details on your car. Post some more pics including engine bay and interior when you get a chance. It's always fun to see what others have and are doing.
Well said. I do agree, Get it registered and licensed and insured and drive it for a while. If nothing else you'll have even more connection to the car, and you can enjoy it, while you are figuring out the next steps. You can also lower it, maybe change out or refinish the wheels, and work on suspension and mechanicals that are easy weekend projects, while being able to enjoy the fruits of your labor as you drive the car to work Monday (if that's your thing).

With very little work, you can make a great hot rod driver. One car that jumped out at me recently as being incredibly attractive:

Magnus has a great eye for stance and wheel and tire combos. That's 75% of what makes a 911 Hot Rod look great, regardless of what kind of bumpers are hung on the ends.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Another option is to join the dark side

Mezger 3.6 liter transplant

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Newbie

Thanks for great advise and suggestion from all. Yes, The 230K miles eng is running strong., shift well and love the old car smell. Just need to look in to some small oil leak under the eng. and driverside panel. Here is my plan, let me know your thoughts on this and if the flow make sense and budget is not too optimistic as body/eng/trans will be outsource.

5 years plan budget : 12K/ year. est. $60K
Year 1 - suspension+ torsion + brakes + refinish rims to RS color (to makes the car sit/drive/stop well).
Year 2 - keep driving and save up to all new metal for backdate ( if i didnt change my mind).
year 3 - body and paint - off pan down to the the metal. Color - Slate Grey
year 4 - rebuild eng and trans
year 5 - interior
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered Newbie

Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
That's a very nice SC well kept and taken care of by the PO's
Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Oh wow what a fantastic color combo!!!

If that's a matching numbers car and the interior is correct for the COA, I'd restore it, not backdate it. Of course there is still plenty you can do to make it "yours". The aforementioned suspension work, wheels, etc. are all great first steps.

If it's like every other old car, it will need lots of sorting (I see a rats nest of wires under the dash) but they will all be things you can do one at a time, yourself.

Again, probably not what you want to hear, but on the other hand we are probably saving you 20 or 30 thousand dollars

Also, I see the paint is a bit rough, but I really like having a car that's a bit of a "beater". Of course no 911 is going to be a beater, but having one that's a little less precious will allow you to enjoy it a lot more, and worry less.

Same goes for squeaks and rattles and minor rips and tears.

Last edited by Jonny042; 09-11-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-11-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sake -- nice car and good plan! See your year 1 plans include refinishing your existing 16x6 front and 16x7 Fuchs to rsr finish -- before you take this step, you might want to look into finding a pair of 16x8 fuchs, moving your 16x7 rears to the front and selling your current 16x6 fronts -- this is a relatively common upgrade that both better fills the wheel wells (aesthetic) and spreads out the sidewalls for more stable tire contact (performance). Another option would be to consider swapping your 16" fuchs for 17" alternatives, which opens the door for additional high performance tire options.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting note - I noticed that the decklid is a slightly different hue of white than the rest of the car. You can see in the engine pic that the decklid has been replaced at some point with a 1973 or earlier one. There's about a 1% chance (maybe less) that it's an aluminum "S" version.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Oh wow what a fantastic color combo!!!

If that's a matching numbers car and the interior is correct for the COA, I'd restore it, not backdate it.
Also, I might add, I would leave the suspension alone unless it was in need of repair (cuz, if it ain't broke...). These cars, old as they are, handle incredibly well and tampering with the original factory settings would not be to your benefit, cost effective or what you might anticipate.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: