Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post treatment of complete exhaust system

Hi all.
I need rekommandations in relation to my complete original water blasted exhaust system from 1979.
My wish is to keep the exhaust system nice looking for the comming years.
I know the exhaust system can be coated, but is that the way to do it?
Any recommandations is very much appreciated.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Looks very nice cleaned up!
Typically we blast with gentle bead to preserve the OEM colors. Blasting the surface clean like that creates a porous condition that will accelerate corrosion so some sort of treatment needs to be done. I've seen systems painted gray but the original color was more bronze in appearance. If you can find a sealant that is clear or has a yellowish hue with heat/age it should allow the bronze color to return with heat cycles.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

We used Jet-Hot coatings on the race car exhaust, and it always stayed looking like the day we put it on.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Try these guys: https://appliedplastic.com/

They did my heat exchangers, cross-over pipe, etc. after it was chemically cleaned up and shipped to them. Prices are not too bad and they offer multiple options. Good customer service as well.
Mine still look great after 6+ years and they also help point out any new leaks. Wurks fur meh.

Last edited by Synchro Joe; 09-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: added
Old 09-15-2019, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rattle can zinc paint
PCA - 36yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
a friend used ceramic coating and it looked great

I use stainless steel...
Old 09-15-2019, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If you want to keep the original look after the blasting you can have a Cerakote clear applied. They have a 400ish and a 1100deg clears in both gloss and matte. They changed their site around but I believe they have both that were air cured as I had bought samples to try. So it’s something you could apply yourself if you have a hvlp gun. The key is making sure the material is super clean, rust and oil free otherwise the coating won’t adhere correctly. This way you can keep the original look and have protection.

CTopher
Old 09-15-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had mine blasted and ceramic coated, apparently the ceramic coating improves engine cooling and power because it keeps the heat in the pipes?

Not sure I believe any temp or performance difference, but being a mid year with no external cooler, I can hope for less heat!

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 09-15-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
a ceramic exhaust port insert improve engine cooling and power because it keeps the heat in the pipes, but the headers * muffler are too far downstream to do much

good finish tho
Old 09-15-2019, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I had mine blasted and ceramic coated, apparently the ceramic coating improves engine cooling and power because it keeps the heat in the pipes?
Had Performance Coatings apply ceramic coating all the way from the piston crowns to the turbo hot-side, exhaust ports included. Oh yeh - the exhaust was 321 stainless, too... (another work of art from RarlyL8). (If you want, PC mix up a special grey with a hint of green they say is a close match to an original Porsche exhaust color.)

Oil temps driving around do seem to be noticeably reduced (10-15F lower), and ducking quickly under the decklid to check oil level after a drive, engine bay temps seem lower as well (although still heat-soaks plenty fast when idling or stopped).

Rationale with a turbo, apart from avoiding baking everything in the engine bay, is to keep energy in the gas until it hits the turbine - where it is converted into something useful.

Many use header wraps for this on other types of vehicle - but an air-cooled turbo simply runs too hot, and wraps don't last. And causes accelerated deterioration of the headers - which isn't a big deal for cheap mass-produced ones, of course...
Old 09-17-2019, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
a friend used ceramic coating and it looked great

I use stainless steel...
Agree. Ceramic coating. Goes on very thin, insulates, very corrosion resistant. Jet-Hot is one type, but other brands have more color options (e.g. cerakote).

Sherwood
Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Here are the ones my friend had done - note that the dimples form old rust are retained for that rich patina look. His wife forced him to sell the car...

Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I had a jet-hot ceramic coating done on my muffler and it looked fantastic.

Before
Old 09-18-2019, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
After
Old 09-18-2019, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: