Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 57
17x11.5 5.75 backspace 17x9 5.75 backspace on a 930 Wide Body 911sc?

The recommend is 5.5 backspace, but I was wondering if I put 15mm spacers to clear things inboard will that push the wheels to close to the fender lip with these sizes.
I haven't mounted the fenders so I can't measure the outer lip.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2019, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Dmitry at Pelican Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,268
Garage
Check out the link below, it's a helpful guide to wheel fitment and spacing. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Wheel Fitment & Spacing Guide
Old 09-17-2019, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sboxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 678
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1addict View Post
The recommend is 5.5 backspace, but I was wondering if I put 15mm spacers to clear things inboard will that push the wheels to close to the fender lip with these sizes.
I haven't mounted the fenders so I can't measure the outer lip.
Thanks
It will be close but can be done . . .
We have 10.5 x 17 rear (5.5 Backspace) with 315/35/17 Hoosier A7s and have spacers on both wheels
to get the close fit to work.
Your 15MM spacers may be correct but my opinion is that you will have to test fit
with the tires you choose and adjust the spacers accordingly.
And, as others have said the Porsche body dimensions are not always the same on right and left sides.

We also have 9 x 17 front with spacers and the 245/40/17 tires rub on extreme tight
turns in the parking lot, but rarely on the track.

Regards,
Roy T
__________________

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post
It will be close but can be done . . .
We have 10.5 x 17 rear (5.5 Backspace) with 315/35/17 Hoosier A7s and have spacers on both wheels
to get the close fit to work.
Your 15MM spacers may be correct but my opinion is that you will have to test fit
with the tires you choose and adjust the spacers accordingly.
And, as others have said the Porsche body dimensions are not always the same on right and left sides.

We also have 9 x 17 front with spacers and the 245/40/17 tires rub on extreme tight
turns in the parking lot, but rarely on the track.

Regards,
Roy T
thank you for that Roy, I'm trying to go through some of your older post to find a pic of your car.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,975
Garage
There is no problem with back spacing if you plan to use spacers. The problem arises when there is not enough back spacing as you cannot push the wheel further in, only out.
I ran 9&12's on my '78 SC widebody no problem with spacers with 255/315 tire combo. If the fenders are not on yet you might mount up the wheels and tires as that will help with aligning the fenders.
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sboxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 678
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1addict View Post
thank you for that Roy, I'm trying to go through some of your older post to find a pic of your car.
Race car photos are in my "Garage" info . . .
Also, camber amount affects the spacing too - we have 3.5d rear camber and 3.5 front.

Regards,

a photo of the car . . .

__________________

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine

Last edited by Sboxin; 09-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Front camber is 3.5
Old 09-18-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:41 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.