Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
Question 915 builder question?

background: i have a 915/61 with halfshafts that came with an '80 SC project in midst of 3.2 upgrade - bo't the car "in pieces" from a shop in San Jose CA area cuz owner couldn't pay the shop bills (i used the 3.2 engine else-wise) & sold the SC roller

at time of purchase i was told the 915 was a rebuilt - numbers say it's '78 915/61 & it "looks shiny clean" rebuilt from the outside & has a new rear mount with Smart Racing solids - (caveat - it did have oil in it so i suspect it was run in that '80 SC before the 3.0 engine came out)

- i kept the 915 for an eventual 916 conversion which is never gonna happen - finally got it out of storage yesterday for pictures & eventual sale

- it has a couple of "match marks" on the case that look like something i've seen on other rebuilds, like we are taught to do in shop class, and the top & bottom "spine" is "scalloped" or apparently "ground off" compared to 901's i am familiar with (pics) - (ebay 915's don't seem to have those marks)

1. do the marks & spine grinding suggest a rebuild?

2. do the marks give any idea what Bay Area shop might have done this?

3. any ideas about best way to discover if a rebuild was done with minimal dismantling?

TIA

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Didn’t the shop you got the car from do it or know?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

its not very hard to pull just the tail cone and look at the 5th/R cluster to see if any of that looks re freshed, however to go further than that is a bit more involved.
Its unclear if the pad on the bottom indicated anything of value.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
Please don't mind a dumb question but why aren't those scribe marks perfectly aligned or is that just an artifact of the image ?
Old 09-20-2019, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: