Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

When a 911 barn find happens in real life...

Ok ok, they do happen and it's amazing when we hear about them. But.. for Mike Savina this was never something he thought would actually happen to him. We saw his story floating around Facebook and had to share it with our community. Mike has been awesome with providing us details about the find and some great photographs. He has some really great future plans and hopefully some of you gentlemen and ladies can share some helpful information while he gives this project a go!

Here is his story:

Quote:
So it starts pretty simply really. I live in a small town in north central West Virginia called Bridgeport. I have a neighbor that is building a new home and needed some dirt to finish his property. I volunteered some of mine in exchange for him sending someone to do it. He sent a couple of dump trucks and an excavator operator. I was outside working one day and had my garage open and apparently one of the dump truck drivers noticed my 914 and 944 stacked on the top of each other via a 2 post lift. The 914 is patiently waiting for its new heart. A couple of days pass and the excavator operator begins asking me some questions about my cars and mentions he may know where a 75 911s is. Well of course that peaks my interest so I ask for some details. He goes on to say that the gentleman lived on the same road as him and had this Porsche in a barn/garage that came down in a storm. I asked if he would give me directions and he was more than happy to tell me. He believed that the car was still there because people were afraid to talk to the man. So here I am. Iíve been dreaming of owning my own 911 for as long as I can remember and Iím willing assume the risk of walking into someoneís property unannounced. On Friday the 13th my wife and I take a drive to find the location and there it is off in the distance just as described. An old foundation of what was at one time a large farm house and some remains of an old building with an 80ís white Cadillac peeking out. Just to the side was a camper. My wife was apprehensive so we decided to abort and just leave a note in the mailbox. On the drive home I called my father. Anyone that know Bryant knows He is always up for an adventure and together we have pulled quite a few interesting cars from places over the years. We decide to go back out that evening. It was still daylight however the full moon was going to be visible in about an hour or so. We go to the camper and knock on the door. A gentleman comes to the door and my father introduces us and says ďsorry to bother you but we were told there may be an old VW or Porsche hereĒ. The gentleman opened the screen door and says with a smile why yes I have a 67 911s. As I tried to contain myself thinking thereís no way he said 67, he begins to tell us about it and how it came to be his and why it was in the rubble. The gentleman has had some heath issues and while in the hospital his home burnt down. Around the same time a microburst took down this building and it collapsed onto the 911. My father asked if the car would be for sale, he said well yes. I guess I should sell it since I wonít be able to restore it as I planned. And thatís where the pictures start. Under that pile we could see a headlight. And the edge of the long front hood and a fuch wheel but that was about all. We go back to him and ask for a price however he wasnít sure of a number so we decided we would go home and think about an offer that would be fair to both parties. This was difficult as we didnít know if it was an actual S car, the condition etc. The next morning my wife and I clear out the bank accounts to our last $3.86 and my father and I set out to the location. We didnít know if I had enough money to buy the car but I was going to give it my absolute best shot....well I could sweeten the deal with an extra $3.86 I guess. We arrived at his home and he was surprised we had returned. My father began to talk with the gentleman and he makes the offer of just a bit less than I have to spend. Smiling, the gentleman says well thatís a good offer and pauses for a moment before he begins to talk about current politics and his time with the marines. We converse for a while longer and in an instant changes the subject back to the car. He makes a counter offer....to my shock it is exactly the amount of money that I have. My father looked at me and I quickly agreed to hand the cash over. I canít believe what has happened. I own my dream car and I have no idea what the condition is. I hand the gentleman the cash and he signs the title over to me. We immediately start making calls to get the car dug out of the rubble. My dad calls his friend Mike and he brings out his mini excavator to help us. Thatís where the pictures take over the story. At this time we have come to the conclusion that the car is not an actual S car. It does have a numbers matching engine however someone has swapped many S parts onto the car at some point. It is also in need of heavy rust repair and it will be a very long time before it is restored unfortunately. As I mentioned I spent literally everything I had on it Hahahha. I hope the forum members and fellow Porsche nuts enjoy the story and I look forward to buying many of my restoration parts from the fine folks at pelican.
Looks like just a run down building right?...

Guess again...

Some other detailed photos:

Old 09-23-2019, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Some more:

Also, it may appear that the original color combination seems to be Polo Red with Pepita seats.

It cleans up nicely, for what condition it is in:

Be sure to stick around for more updates!

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 09-23-2019 at 05:01 PM..
Old 09-23-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you so much for sharing this. It has been a dream find for me and I look forward to getting started on the build.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Nice story Happy ending and i like ashtray on floor.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That is truly a Barn Find. Awesome! Is the engine still a 67S engine?

Watch out if you post that on the Early S Registry. You will become an instant hero and they will have $100k+ restoration plans for you.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Considering what the old barn looked like, the car looks pretty good!
Good luck with the revival.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilk View Post
That is truly a Barn Find. Awesome! Is the engine still a 67S engine?

Watch out if you post that on the Early S Registry. You will become an instant hero and they will have $100k+ restoration plans for you.
It actually turns out not to be an S. I have the paperwork showing the engine and chassis are matching and the engine is a non-s. All I can think is that somewhere along the lines there was a scrap S and they took everything off of it
Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Is it just me or does that car have 4 different rims on it? I'll never understand those bumpers so I just won't ask. And that comes from the 'bumper man'.

Anyway, nice that dreams come true. My dream is to never have to work that hard again. Looks like a minimum 5 year project unless someone has well in excess of 50K to get started at a shop.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Mike

Congrats on the find! And thanks for sharing. This site is amazing, you came to the right place! I found a "barn find" as well although yours is much cooler! Can't wait to see the photos of you driving it!

1976 911S Ė from garage find to on the road

Given you spent all your cash on it, I would strongly recommend just trying to get it driving. Many will convince you to do a full restoration, but too many people I hear go down this path and never get it on the road (like the guy you bought it from). You can always do a full resto but don't lose site of the goal is to drive these magnificent cars.

Good luck!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/664950-1976-911s-garage-find-road.html
Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great story - Thanks Luccia and Mike
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpace View Post
Mike

Congrats on the find! And thanks for sharing. This site is amazing, you came to the right place! I found a "barn find" as well although yours is much cooler! Can't wait to see the photos of you driving it!

1976 911S Ė from garage find to on the road

Given you spent all your cash on it, I would strongly recommend just trying to get it driving. Many will convince you to do a full restoration, but too many people I hear go down this path and never get it on the road (like the guy you bought it from). You can always do a full resto but don't lose site of the goal is to drive these magnificent cars.

Good luck!

For sure. This will be a long term build but before I take it apart my intentions are to get it running and driving. Of course that means floor pans and suspension pan repairs. Ordering the carb kit this week.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wow, it looks pretty damned good for being buried in a barn. Do you have a clean, well lit space to work on this car ? I totally agree in the attempt to get it operational first, which might be plenty of work in itself...fluids, belts, hoses, wiring, tires, brakes.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

An S? - un-freakin believable!
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
An S? - un-freakin believable!
That's what I was thinking. When I started scrolling down the photos, I was thinking "What's the damn letter on the back?!?"
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-24-2019, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Takin' hard left turns

He says he doesn't think it's an S.

Quote:
At this time we have come to the conclusion that the car is not an actual S car. It does have a numbers matching engine however someone has swapped many S parts onto the car at some point.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Ok - still cool. I'd love to know @ what you gave for it. Doesn't have to be exact but a 'between range'?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Gauges are from a 67 or earlier 911. The Dash should be brushed SS and not have a material on it (69 on), and the engine shroud is black and not the S Red. It has flared wheel wells...

So it is not straight..but for a price I wouldn't throw it outa bed for eating crackers.

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM

Last edited by tabs; 09-24-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
Ok - still cool. I'd love to know @ what you gave for it. Doesn't have to be exact but a 'between range'?
Iíve been pretty tight lipped about saying what I paid but it was between 5 and 10k. I have no plans to ever sell the car so I feel ok saying that. I do know that many people will see that and think ďif that was clearing out the bank then you canít afford this carĒ and honestly that is 100% correct lol. But I am just Happy to own it and I will do my best.. I was relieved to see the actual condition of the car and shocked when the engine turned freely by hand. It does have a significant amount of rust in the floors and suspension pan though. As far as the S stuff goes it is very odd that someone went through the trouble in the 80ís to put this stuff on it down to the 7200rpm tach. But the engine number shows a non S and there is no S stamp in the chassis number.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Well - thinkin for me - I would've absolutely done the same - it appears as it is all there even if some parts may not be correct - next question have you gotten to the point of starting it?

That's be a great thread on it's own documenting fluid changes, checking, etc then the video of it running.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Perhaps, you could sell one (or both) of your other popular Porsches to fund this rare one. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: