Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
I find it equally funny that some folks believe that the design of these relics (not just the oiling system) can't, or shouldn't be, improved upon, because "Porsche".

Such kink, pNutz!!!
Sure, Raw', but introducting a constriction on that smooth and long S hose should not be taken lightly ... for fear of affecting its performance, oil flow.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Sure, Raw', but introducting a constriction on that smooth and long S hose should not be taken lightly ... for fear of affecting its performance, oil flow.
True dat', pNutz - I'm not one for fluid restriction!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
True dat', pNutz - I'm not one for fluid restriction!
Now that is hardly surprising

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
Have to agree with that.
Few if "any" shops have more knowledge about Porsches that Jeff or Steve.
Maybe none....
Yes, but I do wonder what the other Porsche gods amongst us mere mortals think as well.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Interesting product, have thought about it for a few years since it was released. I have to ask, if you think you need one, why? Is your crankcase filling up with oil? If so, what is different about your engine vs 99.9% of the other engines that are not filling up with oil? Will you be treating a symptom or providing a cure?

Although never coming across and engine/use situation that would require this part, it does beg the above questions.

Not saying it is a bad or un needed product by any means. Just wondering what circumstances are present in an engine that requires one.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Almost Done

Garage
i had smoke on start up but in fact a top end rebuild eliminated that smoke and all leaks. The oil check was on the car and i removed when the shop i used got concerned about initial oil restriction. I am sure many experts on this forum can agree or disagree..but in the end i removed because i trust my shop explicitly and so far..they have been correct
Old 09-29-2019, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Got one a couple of years back and it works as advertised. No more smoke screen after sitting a few weeks and less crap in the air. Win/win.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
Interesting product, have thought about it for a few years since it was released. I have to ask, if you think you need one, why? Is your crankcase filling up with oil? If so, what is different about your engine vs 99.9% of the other engines that are not filling up with oil? Will you be treating a symptom or providing a cure?

Although never coming across and engine/use situation that would require this part, it does beg the above questions.

Not saying it is a bad or un needed product by any means. Just wondering what circumstances are present in an engine that requires one.

Cheers
The problem lies with not driving. Every 911 without the valve will eventually leak back into the sump. It is the reality of the design, to have enough "head" for the oil pump, to insure consistent oil pressure. The oil pump has internal clearances that will allow the oil to gravity feed back to the lowest point available(sump or floor).
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 10-02-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Hypothetical scenario... you have your awesome 911 at a club car day at a major car show. Car is parked on the fairway at just the right (wrong) angle for a metric ****ton of oil to drain so when you go to crank the car to leave you kill all mosquitoes in a 3-mile radius and nearby passers-by look like they just walked out of a coal mine. Again, purely hypothetical...

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Installed the check valve today along with a new S hose and did an oil change. I’ll see how much improvement next time I remove her from storage.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
The instructions say to cut the S hose and install the Check Valve. What they don't say is to make sure you remove any contaminants that get inside the hose as a result of cutting it. I used a band saw and there was tons of rubber bits inside. I blew the sections out with compressed air then poured a bit of oil through as well to get everything out.
2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
For some reason, even the advanced edit feature wouldn't let me add the photo to previous post.

Anyway here's the install

2013 BMW X3 35i
2003 BMW M5

Last edited by autobonrun; 10-06-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Old 10-05-2019, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Call 911

Garage
Rothsport Oil Supply Check Valve Installed

With a little over 8,000 miles on the last oil change and 14,300 miles on the most recent valve lash adjustment, my ’88 Carrera underwent a maintenance schedule weekend. I recently purchased a Rothsport Oil Supply Check Valve from our host, and this was a perfect time to perform the aforementioned maintenance plus install the valve.

After draining the oil tank and crankcase, valve covers were removed and lash adjusted using the Kirk Engines, Inc. 911 Valve Lash Adjusting Tool (available from our host) which made quick work of this task. No metal found on either of the magnetic plugs, and the Mobil 1 15W-50 drain oil was still a clear amber color. The oil filter was opened up and all filter media looked debris-free.

My engine uses less than 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles after the top end overhaul. It never leaks oil or has a hint of blue smoke in the exhaust, even after sitting during the 6 month winter storage. I purchased the Rothsport Check Valve because I don’t like the thought of several quarts of oil draining into the crankcase of my engine when not being run – just doesn’t seem proper for a dry-sump engine. I think this type of valve should have been engineered into the lubrication system by the original designers as it just makes logical sense.

The Rothsport Valve can be considered a demand-type check valve. The idea is to block gravity-induced oil flow from the tank to the oil pump inlet when the engine is not running. This is accomplished by a cone-shaped check valve that has a light spring seating force. The slightest vacuum on the inlet side opens the valve, allowing oil to flow unobstructed. At $300, the valve is not cheap. However, it is a beautifully made component; the NC-machined, 2 piece housing is gloss black anodized all over with laser engraved markings. Stainless, button-head screws secure the housing halves together.

Installation was very easy. After cutting a 1.5 inch section out of the oil supply hose, the valve is inserted and the supplied worm drive clamps tightened – takes all of about 5 minutes. The valve is clearly marked regarding orientation, with “Engine” and “Tank” clearly engraved on both sides of the valve body.

After installation of the oil filter and 10 quarts of 15W-50 Amsoil, the engine was started. Oil pressure came up immediately, indicating the valve poses no restriction to the priming of the oil pump. Underway, oil pressure is where it always reads at 4.5 bar so no changes here. The next day, engine cold with key on, the oil level gauge reads right at the full mark and matches that on the dip stick. Thus, you can now check oil level on a cold non-running engine before the first drive of the day.

I’m very pleased with the quality and function of this product and consider it both a worthwhile investment and addition to my 911 engine lubrication system.

My Porsche restoreth my soul.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

It works very well - as advertised.

SC would drop oil if allowed to sit for 4 weeks+.
leaving a 12-inch oil puddle on the garage floor. (!)
and smoking prodigiously for 15 min+ (!)

Installed check valve and now it's dry and smoke free.
well worth the 5 minute install.

No idea why the SC was draining into the sump,
while my '87 Carrera doesn't smoke or leak a drop.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
$300 for a simple $10 part is so obnoxious that I would never install it on principle.
If my car leaked, maybe I would view it differently. Nah, I would just slide a pan under there.

Last edited by sugarwood; 11-03-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Old 11-03-2019, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

sugarwood -- please post where I can find the same quality/reliability for a simple $10 part.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
Hypothetical scenario... you have your awesome 911 at a club car day at a major car show. Car is parked on the fairway at just the right (wrong) angle for a metric ****ton of oil to drain so when you go to crank the car to leave you kill all mosquitoes in a 3-mile radius and nearby passers-by look like they just walked out of a coal mine. Again, purely hypothetical...
I'm really out of touch with this aspect of 911 ownership.

What the heck is a "fairway" ?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Concours de Elegance are often held on golf courses, hence "fairway."
Old 11-03-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I'm really out of touch with this aspect of 911 ownership.

What the heck is a "fairway" ?
It's supposed to be humorous.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
It's supposed to be humorous.
... and even funnier that I had no idea these events were held on golf courses.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
I take it you're not much of a golfer either.

This is Porsche Werks Reunion at Amelia Island back in March.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: