Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
AC Vent Relocation '85 Carrera

I have just purchased a complete front-to-rear duel Griffith's system, and to repeat, as so many other have, Griff is the best and the quality of each piece just blows me away.
This post is ONLY about relocating vents to raise their level on the dash. ONLY.
Here's my plan:
1: Adios clock
2: Move the fuel/oil level gauge to the clock hole
3: Put a "eyeball" vent on the far left in the hole vacated by the gauge
4: I am thinking about reshaping or making a new vent that will go in the ashtray location. I did get Griff's vent (it is awesome) but I know my right knee will ice over. If I raise the level just a bit it would be best for me. I've hardly opened the ashtray in 7 years of ownership. As you can see by the photo, a vent there would look very factory, IMO.

My questions relate to the left vent in the gauge hole and what hoses in that location are doing. I am hoping that I can simply (is there "simply" in the 911 world at all?) take the cold air hose in the frunk and run it to the back of the eyeball vent behind the dash.
Red arrows are hot air, blue are cold air. Hot air comes from the engine and splits near the frunk release, sending some hot air to the small side vent, and to the dash in the frunk. At that Y cold air comes in from the smaller frunk tube to the side vent as well. The small side vent will only blow hot from now on.
Am I correct in this, and have I been clear enough?
I appreciate the help, Pelican has saved me so many times.

View of the right side in the frunk:

Interior view looking at the left hand blower/hoses from the engine:

Ashtray vent possibilities.
Follow me! Instagram paulmoseleyphotos
Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Been here a while

Hey Paul,

I did similar in terms of the dash vent. I had read a lot about a ford f-150 vent, but didn't like the look.

I ended up finding a dash vent from an Audi, A4 I think, that had the right look and feel, and the best part, unlike the ford vent, I slipped the rubber ring from my clock onto this beast and it slid right in. Very adjustable, nice look and feel.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Lewis, exactly my plan......
Follow me! Instagram paulmoseleyphotos
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

FWIW, that looks exactly like the vent in our 2013 A3.
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 09-28-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: