Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Catch can full

Pretty new to driving an old 911, but is it normal that the oil catch can gets full.

I have a 1973 RSR tribute with a 2.8.

I had it for about 200 miles and today the catch can spilled oil all over the garage for the 2nd time. I am talking a full quart of oil in the catch can.

First time I thought they put too much oil in. So I made sure I checked the oil level while running.

Is this normal, did I put too much oil in to begin with? Bad venting somewhere?

Thanks
Christian
Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

a catch can coming from what? your oil breather hose on top of the engine or from your oil tank?
Old 09-28-2019, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

From the oil tank
Old 09-28-2019, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Are you talking about changing your oil? If so, typically around 12 quarts. So, if you don't have a large oil container it will overflow.
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No, after driving for a while the catch can is full and spilling oil.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinz712M View Post
Pretty new to driving an old 911, but is it normal that the oil catch can gets full.

I have a 1973 RSR tribute with a 2.8.

I had it for about 200 miles and today the catch can spilled oil all over the garage for the 2nd time. I am talking a full quart of oil in the catch can.

First time I thought they put too much oil in. So I made sure I checked the oil level while running.

Is this normal, did I put too much oil in to begin with? Bad venting somewhere?

Thanks
Christian
We have had the same issue with a 3.8L 964 engine in the 911 race car . . . mostly, I didn't
check/empty the catch can often enough . . .

Something else is we only fill the oil to 1/2 inch above the low mark to keep from blowing
oil out of the tank into the catch can. But, we still get oil in the vented catch can.

Most likely you have just filled to too high a level when changing the oil.

Do you have a drain to empty the catch can? Is the can only a one quart/liter size?
Is the can connected from the tank and also to the case breather - or does the
can end at the tank and have it's own air vent?

Others on this Forum may be more helpful and definitely more knowledgeable . . .

Regards,

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 09-28-2019, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

is it the factory oil tank or a front mounted aftermarket one?
Old 09-29-2019, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

From what I can tell, itís the factory oil tank.

By catch can, I am being generous in saying that. Itís an old Porsche quart size oil bottle.

I donít see any venting anywhere, the oil bottle catch cans has a ďbreather holeĒ in it
Old 09-29-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
dump the catch can out and recycle the oil

it should take a while to fill up

post pics & mileage, etc. for more info
Old 09-29-2019, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
can you get us a picture or two of what you're talking about and how the thing is plumbed?

I added a catch can to my 3.0 because I no longer have the factory CIS and airbox. I ran the vent line from the crankcase to the catch can and then the other fitting on the catch can to the oil tank. My catch can also has a vent with a filter on top of it.

I can drive VERY hard for a couple of weeks and not have more than a couple of tablespoons worth of fluid in the catch can. Not really oil either, it smells more like moonshine.
I have less than 15K miles on my motor rebuild so probably not a lot of blow-by, which I think is what normally gets blamed for what you are seeing.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

One possibility of a rapidly filling catch can from oil tank and/or crankcase breather cover is excessive blowby past the pistons rings - the pressure this creates in the crankcase pushes the oil out.

One way to test is to perform a cylinder leakage test (leakdown test) and put your ear near the oil tank's fill spout (cap off) and see if you can hear any hissing (blowby past rings).

Another way to sort or test is to run the engine with the oil fill cap off and look to see if there is an excessive amount of oil vapor, or even oil mist, coming out when you increase the revs some. If there is not excessive blowby then you'll just see some wispy vapors, but nothing alarming.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have never heard of a catch can? Where does it come from? What is it? How about a picture?
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 09-29-2019, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The oil tank fill neck is the highest point, vent line should originate there.
I located a Jaz catch can with a vent in the left rear wheel well for no oil fume mess in engine compartment. Hose runs from oil tank with thru fitting into wheel well along top of engine compartment

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Nelson View Post
I have never heard of a catch can? Where does it come from? What is it? How about a picture?
Oil breather catch can in photo of 3.8L 964 race engine - yellow rectangle . . .

Breather hose attached from oil filler where original breather hose connected oil tank to
engine case breather at rear of engine - [case connection] Wrong - intake connection is blocked and hose does not
connect to engine intake - catch can has air filter on top to allow pressure equalizing (as
I understand the system) The catch can has a turn cock fitting on the bottom to remove
accumulated oil.

I hope this photo helps . . .
Regards,

Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine

Last edited by Sboxin; 09-29-2019 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Thanks Rawkness'Turbo for catching a misstatement
Old 09-29-2019, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

So is this a necessity? (Running a catch can) Can't the breather on the top of the block go to the breather fitting on the oil tank?

Last edited by Speed metal; 09-29-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed metal View Post
So is this a necessity? (Running a catch can) Can you run the breather from the oil tank to the intake instead?
IMHO of course - - but I don't think you will pass emission testing with a catch can system if you happen to be
in one of those areas. These catch cans I believe are used on modified high
performance engines - like the OPs 2.8L engine . . . and our race engine with cams and
12.5 CR pistons and dyno tuned ECU chip by Mr. Wong . . .

Regards,

Roy T

Old 09-29-2019, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_gear_Ted View Post
The oil tank fill neck is the highest point, vent line should originate there.
I located a Jaz catch can with a vent in the left rear wheel well for no oil fume mess in engine compartment. Hose runs from oil tank with thru fitting into wheel well along top of engine compartment
right, I also have a Jaz can - not optimal

Grady Clay* laid out the factors for a catch can in an old thread - OP needs to post pics...

* as usual...
Old 09-29-2019, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed metal View Post
So is this a necessity? (Running a catch can) Can't the breather on the top of the block go to the breather fitting on the oil tank?
In stock trim, most road cars, including 911s, vent the crankcase gases (oil tank, too, with 911s) back to the intake in order to be burned in the combustion chambers. This is not ideal from a performance standpoint, as the oily vapor can promote detonation, and also gums up intake components over time.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post
Oil breather catch can in photo of 3.8L 964 race engine - yellow rectangle . . .

Breather hose attached from oil filler where original breather hose connected oil tank to
engine case breather at rear of engine - case connection is blocked and hose does not
connect to engine intake - catch can has air filter on top to allow pressure equalizing (as
I understand the system) The catch can has a turn cock fitting on the bottom to remove
accumulated oil.

Regards,
Thanks Sboxin! You learn something everyday.
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 09-29-2019, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboxin View Post

engine case breather at rear of engine - case connection is blocked and hose does not
accumulated oil.

Regards,
. . .
What do you mean by the part I highlighted? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or the setup on your engine is entirely different than what is on my 1987 Turbo, and basically all internal combustion engines that I'm familiar with, but you absolutely do not want to block the crankcase vent or pressure will rapidly build in the case (from piston ring blowby, heat, and the movement of the crankshaft, connecting rods, intermediate shaft, oil pump, etc.).
Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: