Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1975 Targa 2.7L

car starts perfectly fine when its cold, after running it for 17 miles i made a pit stop at a restaurant for breakfast. When starting it again, it wouldn't start. i waiter about an hour and the car started again. I decide to head back home while driving in the freeway it died out completely. i was able to exit the freeway to a safe zone. waited an hour and the car started again but after a few minutes it died out again. Any idea what could possibly be?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

First thing, you need to check for spark when this happens. Remove the high voltage wire from the coil tower and attach a test wire to the coil tower, other end to a spare spark plug. (Ground the body of the spark plug for this test.) Monitor the test spark plug to see if there is spark when the engine is cranked over. You will need an assistant to either monitor the spark plug or turn the key to crank the engine.

If no spark, then verify the distributor points are properly gapped. If they are almost closed up, they will not trigger the CDI unit and you will not get any spark. If points gap is in a reasonable range (.012 to .018" ) then the problem is likely the CDI unit. This is a common situation when its discharge capacitor begins failing, affected by heat, goes open-circuit or shorts. Cools down and "heals" itself for a while.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: