Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
AFB24911S - Prefect plan. Knock out all of the mechanical, electrical issues and get it 100% reliable and drivable. Then you can address the cosmetics of paint/body. By then, you may have come to appreciate the factory black. Good luck and have fun.

'71 914-6 #0372
'16 Audi S3 DD
'17 Macan GTS
Old 10-15-2019, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Everyone has their own desires. My targa was black on black and needed a new paint job so I decided to do it the way I wanted. I found the black interior to really just fade away with no really appeal. I went Agate Gray over natural leather interior for some contrast. Make no mistake though, this was an expensive process as it was stripped to bare metal with glass out and doors off.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFB24911S View Post
Hello Forum Members,

I just purchased a ....... But how much will that impact the resale value, should I choose to sell?

Iíve still not definately decided what color my 73 will be yet .
Original silver has now taken the lead , but that is subject to change .
Resale value ?
Pfffft !!!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Original paint car? If no dents/scratches and assuming there are a few rock chips on the frunk and some on the underside of the bumpers, you have a great starting point to wet sand with 1000 to 1200 carefully then polish with either the 3M system or the polish system from Griotís Garage. Both systems will require the use of an orbital machine.....many to choose from.

Lots of work but end result will be a beautiful car with some minor probable patina that will certainly set your car apart from most cars. The big up-side is that you wonít be afraid to drive the car and screw up your $XXK paint work. Put all that saved $$ in your pocket for other projects.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well I suspect that you bought a black car with black interior, while not liking black-on-black, for a reason ... and I presume that reason was because you found a mechanically sound car at a good price that needs a bit of care, thinking that you could change the exterior and interior color ... so why not follow through on your plan? Your car has 205K on it already - if it had 25K, I might re-consider my plan.

P.S. : 33 years ago I was hell bent on finding a Guards red coupe with tan interior .. I ended up with a Targa Cashmere Beige Metallic-on-black. Two years ago I did a glass-out, bare metal repaint in the same color.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Wider is Better

Garage
If you are restoring it for resale value, make everything absolutely original, park it in a room temp garage and only drive it on Leap days. If you want to enjoy it, paint it whatever color you want, soup the engine up a little, and drive it everywhere. Thatís my $0.02.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholberg View Post
If you are restoring it for resale value, make everything absolutely original, park it in a room temp garage and only drive it on Leap days. If you want to enjoy it, paint it whatever color you want, soup the engine up a little, and drive it everywhere. Thatís my $0.02.
Pic your colour, soup it up and drive it everywhere - there you go!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

I'd second this. Post some pics and show us what's going on. Porsche knew what they were doing with paint, so you should have a decent base to start with. I'd either do it yourself or get someone to cut and buff. Fix the mechanical issues, drive it, live with it, and make a decision. If you repaint, paint it whatever color you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinsd View Post
Original paint car? If no dents/scratches and assuming there are a few rock chips on the frunk and some on the underside of the bumpers, you have a great starting point to wet sand with 1000 to 1200 carefully then polish with either the 3M system or the polish system from Griot’s Garage. Both systems will require the use of an orbital machine.....many to choose from.

Lots of work but end result will be a beautiful car with some minor probable patina that will certainly set your car apart from most cars. The big up-side is that you won’t be afraid to drive the car and screw up your $XXK paint work. Put all that saved $$ in your pocket for other projects.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Amaranth Violet or Aubergene for my once Cashmere Beige (but now Guards) Targa

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
color , interior , paint , resale , restoration