Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quarter Window Seals Too Tight

My old quarter window seals were brittle and cracking so I bought new (Uro).

Passenger side went in OK, a little difficulty but acceptable.

Drivers side not so much. So tight the window won't go in.

Seal fully seated in the frame.

Would Porsche seals fit better?

[IMG][/IMG]
(apologies for the photo)

Last edited by Artfrombama; 10-10-2019 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: resized photo
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfrombama View Post
My old quarter window seals were brittle and cracking so I bought new (Uro).

Passenger side went in OK, a little difficulty but acceptable.

Drivers side not so much. So tight the window won't go in.

Seal fully seated in the frame.

Would Porsche seals fit better?
I have the exact same problem.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For what it's worth I only use Porsche seals and have never had that problem.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Makes sense. Granted the Uro's are less expensive, but they should at least fit!

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem. URO offered to take them back and replace with seals that fit.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf911 View Post
I had the same problem. URO offered to take them back and replace with seals that fit.
Did the replacements fit?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I bought the seals second hand on this forum so I didn't have a receipt to return them to URO
It's worth a try if you do. For reference see my link below.

Vent Window Fitment Issue

Last edited by lsf911; 10-09-2019 at 06:20 AM..
Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

lsf911 is correct, we scrapped our entire inventory of the old version Vent Window Seals late in 2018, and ran our first batch of new seals with the corrected durometer rubber about three months ago. We have the new softer seals in stock in our warehouse, which means they're now available through Pelican. The new softer version has the four digit code "7082" or higher on the label.

If anyone purchased the old version of these Vent Window Seals and had problems, please contact us via PM or "sales at uro parts dot com" with your purchase details (purchase date, retailer, order number, name & shipping address) and we'll be happy to get you replacements.

Please PM us your purchase details Artfrombama, and we'll get you a pair of the new version. lsf911, PM incoming.

Last edited by UROParts; 10-09-2019 at 05:24 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf911 View Post
I bought the seals second hand on this forum so I didn't have a receipt to return them to URO
It's worth a try if you do. For reference see my link below.

Vent Window Fitment Issue
Those are vent window seals, my problem was with the quarter window seals.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UROParts View Post
lsf911 is correct, we scrapped our entire inventory of the old version seals late in 2018, and ran our first batch of new seals with the corrected durometer rubber about three months ago. We have the new softer seals in stock in our warehouse, which means they're now available through Pelican. The new softer version has the four digit code "7082" or higher on the label.

If anyone purchased the old version of these seals and had problems, please contact us via PM or "sales at uro parts dot com" with your purchase details (purchase date, retailer, order number, name & shipping address) and we'll be happy to get you replacements.

Please PM us your purchase details Artfrombama, and we'll get you a pair of the new version. lsf911, PM incoming.
PM sent. Thanks for responding
Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Artfrombama, just checked into our quarter glass seals 901 543 901 20 and 901 543 902 20. We sell about 450 of each side annually, and the material and firmness of our current stock matches OEM. We did make a minor cosmetic change to them about two years ago in response to feedback (there was a thin flap that was a bit wavey when it should have been perfect straight), but yours is the first complaint we've received about them not fitting. Others may very well have experienced the same thing, but unfortunately didn't let us know, so thank you for the feedback.

We just compared our seals to OEM, and see several areas that could be changed to improve the fit. Our engineers will review them more closely over the next couple weeks, and it's quite possible we'll redesign these seals. Sorry the process takes so long - we'll update as we know more.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I will purchase the Porsche seals and report my results (with photos) on this thread. I've bought many Uro parts and installed them on my 911 with no problem whatsoever but I believe these are defective and cannot and will not recommend URO #90154390120 or #90154390220 to anyone.

EDIT-Drew with URO product support is very accommodating and offered me URO merchandise to compensate. Up until this problem I had no issues with URO parts and believe this company strives to make the customer happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UROParts View Post
Hi Artfrombama, just checked into our quarter glass seals 901 543 901 20 and 901 543 902 20. We sell about 450 of each side annually, and the material and firmness of our current stock matches OEM. We did make a minor cosmetic change to them about two years ago in response to feedback (there was a thin flap that was a bit wavey when it should have been perfect straight), but yours is the first complaint we've received about them not fitting. Others may very well have experienced the same thing, but unfortunately didn't let us know, so thank you for the feedback.

We just compared our seals to OEM, and see several areas that could be changed to improve the fit. Our engineers will review them more closely over the next couple weeks, and it's quite possible we'll redesign these seals. Sorry the process takes so long - we'll update as we know more.

Last edited by Artfrombama; 10-11-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: