Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1982 911 sc Starting and then not

Hi, I have a 1982 911sc, that runs and drives like a rock star and will start 100 times while parked in the garage or on a short trip to the gas station. But on 30+ mile drives. I park and do whatever and go to leave and it behaves like its deader than a doornail? Won't crank or anything. If I wait 4+ hours, then its like nothing happened? I have replaced the battery and have had the shop look at the electrical and everything checks out... One other Porsche owner suggested "wrapping" the starter with asbestos like product? What are the thoughts and possible resolutions? I really would like to driver her more, but the fear of being stranded for hours is keeping her in the garage.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
5150 Pixie - I've had this problem as well, only on longer trips where the engine is fully up to temp and not all the time. This happened a lot several years ago and I researched that the fix is to add a starter relay??? in the mix. I bought it and never installed as I stopped having the problem until this year again. Currently have my engine dropped (fixing oil leaks and trans) and plan to have the starter gone over at a shop.

When I get home I'll take a pic to share, sorry can't remember the exact name of the part and do not see it on our host site.
15 Macan Turbo
Old 10-11-2019, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Interesting. Thank you very much for the feedback. I look forward to seeing the photos. Funny how it "fixes itself" in cooler temps. I was watching the temp gauge like a hawk as I drove as well, it kept a steady 180-200 temp the whole drive, but still failed to start after. But I will look into a starter relay. I was thinking of adding an auto -start, thinking that this might by-pass the issue as well. But after doing a bit of research I am more inclined to upgrade the starter itself as well as looking into a "relay" Let you know how it goes.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I had the same issue with my 1981 911 SC when I first bought it, replacing and cleaning the transmission ground strap helped.
Read the posts below to understand the situation better.

Electrical issue
'79 SC --Starter Woes -- Help please

Although not an actual fix, if you don't want to wait a couple of hours for the car to cool down and them start, you could either try to whack the starter solenoid with a hammer or something...
Another thing that worked for me was to put the car into 1st or reverse gear, release the hand brake and rock the car back and forth a bit, which may help to unstuck the solenoid. Only do this on level ground though of course.

In the longer term, other problems which also caused me to have no starts were faulty ignition switch, worn ground cable /connection at battery, old alternator wiring to starter and grounds having high resistance once car is warmed up... Apart from the battery ground cable, the rest are a bit more involved and need a bit more testing/ troubleshooting and at least a couple of hours to repair/replace.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Geared aftermarket starters for our cars aren't all that expensive, and come with their own solenoid.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I am having the sane problem with 1987 911 - very rare - end up having to push start. Right afterwards going down the road, I put it in neutral, turn it off, and test start it. Starts fine. Pulling engine this winter, thinking of replacing starter (any ideas?), and I guess check the wiring.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Ground strap off the transmission to the body.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezoneill View Post
Ground strap off the transmission to the body.
x2
Yukon Yellow
Old 10-26-2019, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

My thoughts/experience: The starter solenoid plunger 'drags' inside the barrel and binds when hot. It doesn't pull in far enough to allow the big contactors to close the circuit to the starter motor. I've seen this many times. Sometimes just tapping the starter solenoid will do the trick to free it, but has to be done when someone else is turning the key to the 'start' position. Adding an auxiliary relay often helps this situation because a little more current gets delivered 'locally' to the solenoid (instead of relying on the long run through the ignition switch), and that is just enough to make a difference. But the real fix is taking the starter off the car, removing the solenoid and cleaning it to remove old sticky grease and grime in the plunger area, re-lubricating with some light oil.... just like it was when new. I've done this many times, on Porsches and other vehicles and had great results.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
This happened to me several years ago. If I remember correctly I replaced the starter with a hi-torque replacement starter and have not had the problem since. Let me know if you need more info - I will have to do some digging.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: