Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

DIY Hinge Pin Removal Tool

Hey Everyone,

Tackling the task of replacing the bushings and pins in my 78 this weekend.

Just wanted to share the tool I made this morning as the result of not having a smidge of luck with the drifts and pin punches.

I should mention that this tool is a modified version of the tool created by user HenrikL but for a shop with no air hammer and only a caveman style BFH.

This drawing has the measurements that allow anyone to create this in about an hour, a welder (or a mate with one), and a $10.00 piece of steel stock (1.5" x 36").

The image has measurements of the exact tool that I made, however the only one you really need to worry about is the notch cut out for the head of the pin.

I should also mention that after making this drawing and bringing it to the garage to fabricate, I took off the hard edges of the "forks" on the outside of the notch as well as dipped them into some liquid rubber to make them slightly more body friendly. Not necessary as the measurements should allow you to not touch any part of the door, but better safe than sorry.

Also, the gusset was just an off cut, maybe 1cm in length that I welded to reinforce the joint.

Hope this helps someone out!
Joe

Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
You stick the fork between the pin head and the top of the hinge and then pry down like hell, I presume.
Johan
Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Actually, I didn't pry, I drove the pins out with a 3lb sledge mallet. Worked like a charm, man do you gotta send em on home though, they're in there very tight.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: