Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Plastic RS tank and new fuels?

So, I'm trying to get my old 911 back on the road. I'm rather humiliated to say that its seen light use since 96, when I lived in CA and the engine blew. A rebuild in 99, Then some use in the 00 to 10 era as things broke and I moved. Then in '12 I was moving it in to do winter work, (fuel lines, carb work, etc) and it caught fire in the drive, as I was backing it into the shop!
Culprit? Old fuel lines! It was a nasty fire to get out.

Then life intruded, I built most of a house for a GF, and the car sat.

I've just finished a pedal cluster rebuild, with new bushings. Which required the addition of a media blaster to the shop, along with a nice stainless steel double oven on wheels set up for powder coating. And electrical upgrades! Which took time.
If it isn't one thing, it's another LOL.

So as I get closer, I've been thinking about the new fuels and how they might not like my 73 RS tank. In the Zuffenhousen thread on the crazy Mary Kay RSR build, the question was raised, but nobody has a definitive answer.

So, what do you all think? I know some of you are better citizens of the 911 faith than me, and actually drive your RS plastic tank equipped 911s LOL...what's your experience?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jake, I have no answers on fuel, but welcome back.
Pat
Old 10-12-2019, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Functionista

All fuel old or new is caustic to plastic with enough time. What would worry me is how the plastic tank on the RS has the extended bottom where it is the lowest part of the car with no protection. Talk about fire danger.....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I own a plastic tank Ducati. Ethanol causes the tanks to swell and press against parts they were never meant to touch. There was a class action lawsuit but no replacement or true solution. Stabil for ethanol can help as can keeping the tank 1/4 full or less when parked but non ethanol fuel is the only true solution.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
Jake, I have no answers on fuel, but welcome back.
Pat
Thanks!!!!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
All fuel old or new is caustic to plastic with enough time. What would worry me is how the plastic tank on the RS has the extended bottom where it is the lowest part of the car with no protection. Talk about fire danger.....
Ummm well, yes. that IS an issue.
I got the car in 93...and it was 20 yrs old. Originally, importing was easier and the car was an import, and "federalized", which, at the time meant changing the rear amber lights to red and swapping to horrible DOT headlights. And maybe some evap things, not sure on that. I've always wondered if there was some gas tank American regulation that german tanks failed ...and the importer swapped to the RS tank. It's an oddity ina 911E that had S trim and a rear wiper. Dunno.

What I DO know is that, yes, the tank takes some abuse down there. In 95 I removed it to do some metal work, and the bottom looked like it had been dragged down a hill of broken sharp shale. I've been careful to limit the off roading, but, hey, it was a car, and stuff happens. I didn't do a scratch count in 95, but I assume I've added a few.

I DID come over the crest of a sharp hill at night, and there was a rock about the size of a belguim block in the road, and headlights in the oncoming lane. I braked (and even let up right before impact to lift the nose) but with 2 passengers and the low euro height, it was thump a lump bump. And 1/2 a mile later, we pulled over...the rock and bounced into the fuel line. (That old cover had been errr, 'removed' by a friend who'd borrowed it the previous month)

The block had definitely hit the tank, and rolled under, bouncing up, then continued it's path of destruction down the center. It left the dangling fuel line and two dents in the floor of the car, but, really, you can't tell where it hit the tank.

So, yea, it is subject to lots of abuse, but it seems to hold up super well.
I hear they are worth $$$$, albeit in good condition LOL.

For me, it's part of the car, part of the story, warts and all, so it stays.

Unless ethanol fuel melts it!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome back - FWIW Zuffenhaus makes a nice skid plate to go under the plastic RS tank, I just picked one up to protect mine.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorski View Post
Welcome back - FWIW Zuffenhaus makes a nice skid plate to go under the plastic RS tank, I just picked one up to protect mine.
Thanks! I was wondering about that. Knowing them it is very very nice, no doubt! Probably $$ too.
I need to find the cover that goes under the rack as well.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here ya go....Zuffenhaus RS skid plate. $290 What's your peace of mind worth?

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/rs-skid-plate/

Doug
1973 RSR inspired genesis powr'd by dilithium crystals (3.6 RS Vram)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: