Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Insanity Check - Door Hinge replacement

Guys, I have been getting the bare tub repainted and am working up to reinstalling the doors into the car.

At issue is that I removed the hinges from the chassis, carefully marking which position each hinge came from, marking which shims were in which location and have now painted all the parts individually.

My thought has been to reinstall the complete hinges into the doors (both halves of the hinge with hinge pin in place), which in my mind ought to be easier since the door will be on the bench.

Then the idea is to just bolt them onto the door post, with the correct shim in the location and theory then was, since nothing has changed in terms of hinge, shims or door post, that I would be left with just the challenge of adjusting the bolts to get the door gap properly set.

The doors are completely stripped so are fairly light...and my esteemed helper, aka my wife...can do the bolt insertion and initial tightening while I hold the door.

Sounds like it will work or has someone tried this and really the only option is to mount the hinges on the body, then drive in the pin with the door in place (feels more dangerous and risks damaging the paint)

Also, I just had the clever idea of replacing all the bushings while the hinges are out of the car, ought to be pretty simple to press them in and then ream with the proper 8mm (or more than likely 5/16") ream/drill. Ought not to change anything ....right?

Comments and addressing the full extent of my insanity much appreciated.

BTW, here is the link to the build thread...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/185692-fitting-6-speed-g50-89-carrera-new-post.html

Thanks!

Dennis
Old 10-14-2019, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Dennis,

I just had my driver's door off to get at a few issues. I've had the door off plenty of times, and never removed the hinge pins. I just put a 2x4 under the door and hold it up with the floor jack. Remove the hinge bolts where they attach to the car frame pillar - not from the door. Very easy. No issues. The door goes on and off without any trouble.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Middie View Post
Dennis,

I just had my driver's door off to get at a few issues. I've had the door off plenty of times, and never removed the hinge pins. I just put a 2x4 under the door and hold it up with the floor jack. Remove the hinge bolts where they attach to the car frame pillar - not from the door. Very easy. No issues. The door goes on and off without any trouble.
You know, that's been my thought as well. On my last 911 I pulled the hinge pins off and it was a PITA when I finally reinstalled the door to get the pins firmly in without damaging paint....

Thanks!

Dennis
Old 10-14-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: