Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   BACK-DATED HEAT Smell Question (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1042719-back-dated-heat-smell-question.html)

thefaculty 10-16-2019 09:25 AM

BACK-DATED HEAT Smell Question

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted her after a busy summer but new project on the car are pressing and I am timing some things of the never-ending list. Something that has been bothering me for a while that I keep meaning to ask you fine folks about here is that ever since doing my heater back-date if I do decide to use the heat (by raising the 2 red levers by the handbrake) while we do get nice and toasty there is a pretty ugly smell of exhaust fumes. We are leaking a little oil due to a disconnected breather hose which needs fixing but the smell is more exhaust than the oil burn off and, aside from this, I wondered if anyone else who has done a heater back-date has experienced anything similar.

Is this normal and what is your experience with this? I do intend to switch to SSIs in the next 12 months but it will be a while before this expense is one I can justify so until then it would be nice to know what I might be dealing with here.

My thanks in advance!

Dan

Joe Bob 10-16-2019 11:05 AM

I would look for gaps or rust spots on your heat exchangers or the fresh air intake. Do you have any oil leaks and/or smoking from deposited oil? Smoke can get sucked in and then delivered into the engine shroud that then gets funneled into the cabin.

LIRS6 10-16-2019 11:20 AM

^^^ ^^^

I had same issue, it was my 38 yr old heat exchangers ... which were swapped out for SSI's - no further issues.

Jason

dobryan 10-16-2019 11:33 AM

And check to be sure the engine compartment seals are all there and intact. If exhaust gets into the engine compartment it will get sucked into the heater system as well.

thefaculty 10-16-2019 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone - so combination of 2 things here which is y take-away. I have oil leaks, triangle of death need to be managed and I am currently looking doing a partial drop (my first - wish me luck) and fixing them myself. I am trying to put together a parts list so that I can be as efficient as possible the I do this. So this is causing oil to leak on to my heat exchangers...

...And then I have been thinking about replacing my original exchangers for SSIs.

So.... good to know this will be resolved when both of theses things are done! :)

Thanks guys!!

Joe Bob 10-16-2019 08:00 PM

If you haven’t yet swapped out HEs before. Be advised it’s VERY easy to snap exhaust studs. Read threads on the subject.