Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 20 year anniversary - cheers to Wayne and the Pelican team

I was a kid in college at Penn State when I joined this forum in the autumn of 1998, while I was learning how to tune Webers on a new-to-me $6000 Porsche 912. As I recall, those were the relatively early days of internet forum use by non-tech people. (Somehow my profile got changed along the way and now it shows that I joined in September 1999.)

In any event, I just realized that's more than 20 years of membership on this forum. Twenty years. Truly impossible to believe. Pelican was early to the front and has thrived and survived for all these years. Me too.

My enjoyment of the Porsche hobby would never have been the same absent this forum in particular. So, cheers to Wayne, the Pelican team, and all my fellow Porsche nuts including those I met via this forum, the great ones we've lost along the way, and those I'll meet in the future.

David

76 912E RS (i.e. "Real Slow"); 63 Volvo P1800 "S"; 71 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1; 17 Shelby GT350; 99 996 coupe; 90 ZR1 Corvette
Old 10-29-2019, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Amazing

I’ve been in tech my whole life and am so fortunate to have witnessed- like you- the birth of mass connectivity via forums (and bulletin boards/icq before this) and to now watch this connectivity change all of our lives daily around the globe.

A wild thing to witness and a very unique event/small window in human history leverage-wise.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david c. View Post
I was a kid in college at Penn State when I joined this forum in the autumn of 1998, while I was learning how to tune Webers on a new-to-me $6000 Porsche 912. As I recall, those were the relatively early days of internet forum use by non-tech people. (Somehow my profile got changed along the way and now it shows that I joined in September 1999.)

In any event, I just realized that's more than 20 years of membership on this forum. Twenty years. Truly impossible to believe. Pelican was early to the front and has thrived and survived for all these years. Me too.

My enjoyment of the Porsche hobby would never have been the same absent this forum in particular. So, cheers to Wayne, the Pelican team, and all my fellow Porsche nuts including those I met via this forum, the great ones we've lost along the way, and those I'll meet in the future.

David
Awesome! I started using the site around the same time period, but did not actually sign-up until 2002.

Remember Pelican's CD that you could get with all of their tech articles? The feel of the website really has not changed much from the start. What is crazy is how many posts! Millions, I don't know of any other car forum that is used as much...
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 10-29-2019, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Same here, signed up somewhere around 1996? There were about a dozen people on the forum at that time. Banter was a whole lot different then than now. Everything was fresh and hadn't been hashed over a million times, ha! The wealth of knowledge that has left it's mark here over the years is truly impressive.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: