Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Sunroof rear gap - 81 911 SC

I just replaced the sunroof felt seal per the host recommendation on my 81 911 SC

Unfortunately I have a gap between the sunroof and the roof in the rear section. The front seems nice and snug and may be able to move back slightly to help alleviate the rear gap.

Any idea how to lessen this gap?

Front Gap (none):
https://i.imgur.com/XQNM2h2.png

Rear Gap:
https://i.imgur.com/G0yyUCe.png

Last edited by fizh; 11-10-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
open partly the sunroof..pull down the headliner-look for some loose nut in there..if it is all tight unzip the headliner to access the motor for the sunroof.it is possible one of the cables is broken -the left one...and report..
Ivan
Old 11-10-2019, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hey Ivan, the sunroof operates normally. Opens, Closes. etc.

It is just the slight gap I am trying to get rid of. Seems like when it is completely closed it is slightly too far forward.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
in that case unzip and open partly only a little bit..you have to loosen the motor and close manually then reattach the motor....best to this if you again,take the headliner down and once you have the motor loosen close it by hands so the cables are aligned...when it closed the final thing is push up the cable sliders forward so the roof goes up..
Old 11-10-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sorry for my ignorance Ivan, but that seems like it wouldn't solve the problem.
The sunroof closes without a problem. There is just a small gap now that I have installed the new felt seals. Perhaps there is some alignment that can be done without messing with the motor? That seems like it is unnecessary to mess with the motor to try to solve for the small gap in the rear.

Note that the gap is not because the sunroof is not pushed up all the way. The gap is from the sunroof being too far forward.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
that is the reason to readjust -synchronized the cables ..it is about the motor catching the cables in the same time..
ivan
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Gotcha gotcha. Makes sense. Let me give that a shot and report back!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Welp, no luck. Tried taking the motor off, adjusting the roof, putting the motor back and next time I closed it it went back to the same large gap in the rear and no gap in the front.

Tried this multiple times to make sure I was doing it correctly.

Anyone know if the rubber part is suppose to stick above the roof itself or flush with the roof. I am betting I installed it wrong. Likely needed to move it down and have the seal sit flush with the roof.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
remove once more the motor push the sunroof all the way back--did you do that?
Ivan
Old 11-11-2019, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ivan - Yeah, I tried that about 10 times. No luck. I honestly think I mounted the felt incorrectly.
I think the rubber tubing that the felt wraps around is suppose to sit at or below the roof line.

Attaching a diagram of what I mean.

I think it should be placed with orientation A,D or B,D.
What I did was A, C. I am going to take it out and retry with B,D unless anyone is aware of the correct orientation.

Diagram: https://imgur.com/X7Qm1lN
Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Definitely flush with the roofline.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Post some better pics that would help. One with the roof open and one with it closed.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Another picture...
The rubber sitting above roof line. Likely to be sitting below the roof line and should not be visible from an angle like this.
https://i.imgur.com/aqBjq0Z.jpg
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i would completely remove the sunroof,replace the seals(the seal on the pic is totally wrong installed) along the way you will find the problem..it is about the cables ...
Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 11-12-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Old 11-11-2019, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Your photos are horrible. You have to be able to do better than that.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Designer King

I think your front seal is way too high. As others have said, it should be flush, or just ever so slightly, above the roof line.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah, going to chalk this up as a bad install on my part. :-/

Old 11-12-2019, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 , 911 sc , 911sc , sunroof , sunroof coupe