Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Designer King

What Do I Need For A Suspension Refresh?

Ol Yeller has 197,000 miles on it so I think it's well past time I did some suspension freshening. I've already redone the front rotors and pads, all 4 wheel bearings, and the turbo tie rods.

I want to replace, or have revalved, the Bilstein HD shocks, and replace the sway bar bushings and drop links or bushings, along with the spring plates and/or bushings. I'll probably replace shock mount bushings too. Afterwards I'll have an alignment done.

I don't track the car anymore, and at my advanced age (71) I'm looking for a well handling but comfortable ride for myself and my long suffering wife.

Aside from what I've listed above, what else should I get from our host, and what potential pitfalls should I look out for, or special tools would I need to do this work?

And finally, can I do all this work in my garage with a jack and stands but no lift?

Thanks.

Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone

Last edited by Paulporsche; 11-19-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Here is my typical list for a refresh. Some parts may be deleted depending on the previous replacement. There are options for each item.

front shocks (dampers)
Front a-arm bushings
tie-rods (or tie-rod ends)
ball joints
Steering rack rebuild/regrease
front sway bar bushings (front a-arm and rear support)
Front strut bearing support (top of strut)

rear sway bar bushings (drop link and body collar)
spring plate bushings
rear shocks (dampers)
rear trailing arm bushings

I am a huge fan of any of the bearing type bushings (not rubber) I don't think they transmit much NVH into the chassis but have fantastic reduction in rotational friction. This means a planted, compliant ride especially on bad roads.

Make sure to add a corner balance to your alignment process. This makes a difference especially after it has all come apart and been assembled.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
well handling but comfortable ===> digressive valving on the shocks

for best comfort, reverse all the hotrod suspension mods. you did years ago
Old 11-19-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

You can definitely do this on jack stands. I did, but I'm also not 71 Be ready for trouble with some of the disassembly and be prepared to spend a fair amount of time on the ground fighting some it. That being said my Father in Law helped with a good a portion of it and he was at least 71 at the time. Not a bad set of jobs to do but having a helper will make it much more enjoyable.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

If you have a Bilstein struts, you should probably change the upper seal and the sliding bearing inside the struts too.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Designer King

Thanks everyone.

Mar2mar,

Our host's chat function isn't working right now. Are those 2 parts readily available?
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I searched around quite a bit for these parts, hoping to rebuild it myself , but I didnít find anybody that sells them. Finally I called Bilstein, they have the parts , but they will not sell it individually. You have to send the struts to them and they will install it. Thatís what I did. Before tax and shipping they charge a total of $230 for both struts. The turn around time was about 2 weeks. Iím very happy with their service and the peace of mind knowing it was professional done by Bilstein is well worth it.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Designer King

I think I'll go that route, Mar. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Craig Garr (G2 RAcing) (Cgarr on Pelican) will rebush your Bilstein struts. His turnaround time is faster than Bilstein and at a very reasonable price. It is worth contacting him.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Designer King

I'll check him out.

Thanks Jamie.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Check book, thick one

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: