Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctopher View Post
Don’t see why it wouldn’t. I did the front calipers on 06 Civic Si in a harbor freight small sonic cleaner before in powder coated them. Having a larger one being able to do 2 or all at once would be awesome. I did do a little bit of scrubbing to get some of the big dirty spots. I then stripped mine completely before putting in. And just brushed with a plastic brush and turn them over. Remember I had a little jewelers unit, the one listed by op should clean all by itself.

CTopher
OK thanks for your reply and input, Ctopher! I thought it would and do intend to get one soon and will keep everyone posted on results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
For Baz, and anyone else who doesn't already do this, you can seriously turbo powwwaahhhh your sonic washer brew by mixing in some cleaning vinegar - makes quick work of even the worst filth and corrosion on all metals, including magnesium. For steel parts, I use about 1/5 vinegar, relative to the rest of the solution volume (water and Simple Green, typically), and for aluminum and magnesium I use a little less (and keep a closer watch on the amount of time I leave the parts in the washer). When parts are removed, I typically hose them down with brake cleaner to remove water, etc., and then treat them with Corrosion X (unless they are parts that I'm going to paint - no Corrosion X then).

Baz, a mix such as that would work very well on your crusty, dusty, musty and rusty calipers, Bro!
As always - thank you, RT! I have used vinegar before on hand tools and it does work fantastic. I really like the fact that with these ultrasonic cleaners you don't have to use any of those nasty petroleum based solvents and such. Much better for the environment plus whoever is doing to actual work!

OK back to my U-boat now.....

Old 12-13-2019, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
New question:

Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner on their fuel injectors? If so, did it work?

On MrInjector.US it says this:

Quote:
Your injectors are not disassembled, none of the internal hard parts are replaced, the injectors are ultrasonically cleaned and tested to assure their performance. The soft parts are then replaced.
I had a debate with my mechanic this afternoon about whether an injector can be cleaned or not. He showed me a device he uses that you attach an injector to with a tube that pulls from a container you put solvent in. There's a pressure pump and dial on it and he said it pushed the solvent through with very great force. He went on to say he's had terrible luck over many many years and many many attempts to get an injector clean enough to reuse. Said we have to buy new. I mentioned the ultrasonic cleaning and he said it wouldn't work because you need the injector open while the cleaning is taking place.

I'm not opposed to buying a set of new injectors but am wondering what the brain trust here thinks. TIA for any opinions!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I'm very surprised that Shaun @ Tru6 hasn't chimed in on this. I'd love to hear his opinion.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 12-13-2019, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4flyboy View Post
I'm very surprised that Shaun @ Tru6 hasn't chimed in on this. I'd love to hear his opinion.
Good call, I will find out.

BTW....we've had a few threads over in "Off Topic' on this topic:

Ultrasonic cleaner?

Ultrasonic Cleaning Agent - What Do You Use?

making a parts washer.

Crap Solvent Cleaners in So Cal

Soaking Carb parts

Rusty chain help
Old 12-13-2019, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Missed this one - that was actually started by Shaun - and he has 7 posts in it, including the OP:

Want to make a pump for acid

FYI: there is a video in the very last post with the device my mechanic showed me today.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Baz, ultrasonic cleaning will not work with CIS injectors, even if you are able to hold the pintle open adequately (with copper wire after pulling the pintle into the open position with plyers) because of the tiny screen that is built into the injector body. Some people have had short term success back flushing them with acetone and brake cleaner, but typically, they start performing badly again after a short length of time. The only long term option is to buy new ones (and hope that the new ones are of good quality).
Old 12-13-2019, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
^^^this^^^..........the quality sucks lately,unfortunately..
Ivan
Old 12-13-2019, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Baz, ultrasonic cleaning will not work with CIS injectors, even if you are able to hold the pintle open adequately (with copper wire after pulling the pintle into the open position with plyers) because of the tiny screen that is built into the injector body. Some people have had short term success back flushing them with acetone and brake cleaner, but typically, they start performing badly again after a short length of time. The only long term option is to buy new ones (and hope that the new ones are of good quality).
Ok thanks, RT. You know, my mechanic was quite adamant about this today during our conversation. He's funny sometimes - he rolled his eyes and said "You know how many times I've tried to do it over the years? And it's never worked!" It's not that I didn't beleive him - I just wanted a second opinion. Now I have it, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
^^^this^^^..........the quality sucks lately,unfortunately..
Ivan
What about the Bosch injectors. Brand new questionable quality? So a good idea to bench test them before installing, right? I imagine on my U-boat we'll be testing them anyway as part of testing the whole CIS before installing.

PS - My mechanic's name is also Ivan.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Unfortunately, Bosch doesn't seem to have a problem putting their once good name on shiit parts they currently sell. I do not know for certain about their CIS injectors (but if Ivan the Bohemian Porsche PIMP says the quality sux, you can bet that's accurate ), but for example, they make/sell diesel engine glow plugs (a simple device, really), and those pieces of garbage fail within months of install (I found this out the hard way, and then retroactively read all about their high failure rates). And then of course we have their infamous coils - been crap for a couple decades and are still for sale (and still crap!).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-13-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Old 12-13-2019, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
i`d would say if you look for 911 part which are very important to the engine, look in the US of A for an old stock.That what i direct to most of my clients.....there are several old good 911 part suppliers on east and west coasts;-)cannot name them here..right?i had a saga with the Suchs clutch kit 3 years ago ..and when i got an fuel filter made in Israel (no politics ) i was surprised too..never mind big problem Porsche did manufacturing engine-main bearings in Romania ,several engine builders got burned here over the pond....so find good old stock is the best bet...not my stash i shipped in container to Europe in 2009 that is just for me;-)

Ivan
ps BAZ.. i wonder if your mechanic has the funny accent, like me???;-)

Last edited by proporsche; 12-14-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Old 12-14-2019, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
-snip-
ps BAZ.. i wonder if your mechanic has the funny accent, like me???;-)
Yes, Ivan. He does!
Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

i think I am going to get the HF one too.
been reluctant due to the poor cleaner choices until someone mentioned PSC 1000 cleaner from tractor supply.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-16-2019, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Does anyone know if the PSC 1000 has a strong odor. I quit using a petro cleaner in my washer because of the really strong smell and by the way it was very toxic, melted my cheap plastic gloves. Very good cleaner, very low flash point, more cause for concern. Surely there is a reasonable cleaner out there that is water based. My parts washer is from Eastwood very similar to the HF one. I believe they all now say the pump cannot be used for petro solvents. Replacement pumps are rather expensive considering the price of the washers.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Almost Done

Garage
great injector cleaning service company in housten...
Old 12-16-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgreenery View Post
Does anyone know if the PSC 1000 has a strong odor. I quit using a petro cleaner in my washer because of the really strong smell and by the way it was very toxic, melted my cheap plastic gloves. Very good cleaner, very low flash point, more cause for concern. Surely there is a reasonable cleaner out there that is water based. My parts washer is from Eastwood very similar to the HF one. I believe they all now say the pump cannot be used for petro solvents. Replacement pumps are rather expensive considering the price of the washers.
Water based parts cleaners don't work very well. You need to heat the solution for best results and that jacks up your electric bill, plus you have to wait for it to come up to temp and they're exspensive.
Cheap parts cleaners need to have the pump replaced with something made for solvents like the little giant all metal parts cleaner pump about $130.
Ultrasonics work well on certain parts like carbs,valves et but won't remove oxidation from aluminum et.
Ultrasonic cleaners wear out after heavy, continuous use especially the $250 30l eBay Chinese units.
Best cleaner for car parts that I've found is vapor blasting quick, and leaves a new finish.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Does anyone know if they would work on brake calipers - like these:

honestly, these are a case for beadblasting, degrease first as best as possible.
then zink plate.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Does anyone know if the PSC 1000 has a strong odor
when I got my HF ultrasonic cleaner, had read of using 1/2 part water and 1/2 part simple green and then a good dose of vinegar. the vinegar helps with removing rust. but wont totally clean badly rusted parts. so with that mine did put off a bit of a bad smelling odor. keep the lid on....
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
honestly, these are a case for beadblasting, degrease first as best as possible.
yep bead blasting is the only way I go on such badly rusted, corroded calipers. and if also if coated in grease/oil, a dip in the cleaning tank first. if you have a blast cabinet you learn quickly how debris will clog the feed line. I have to dump and sift my blast material occasionally if I have been cleaning stuff where hunks come off.

PS I do not bead blast the pistons....

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I got a 30L sonic cleaner.
Not too bad
Before and after
I did not scrub it at all

Old 12-31-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Oh
Yes I took it apart and cleaned it again

Old 12-31-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: